Downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 7 Pro - License Key?

ClickRight

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to downgrade my new Windows 10 machine to Windows 7. Unfortunately, it's got a CPU utilization issue that just can't seem to be solved and I'm SICK of Windows 10 updates and fixing one problem just to cause another.

I have a Windows 10 Pro OEM license on the machine. I just don't know what product key to use to Install/Activate Windows 7.

The steps on Microsoft's website are too vague and I want to do it right the first time. Any suggestions?

I have a Windows 10 Pro OEM license on the machine. I just don't know what product key to use to Install/Activate Windows 7.
Any that you can find. You can use any matching key to activate the product. A key off the side of a machine the end user already owns is perfectly fine and legal for this. You are already legally licensed as that is your right under the OEM license for Windows 10. If you have to call in and are asked if this copy of windows is installed anywhere else, tell them no. And it would be correct. This license is for Windows 10 or 7 and its not being used anywhere else. Activation does not equal the status of the license.

"
Follow these steps to downgrade to an earlier version of Windows software:

• Use genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade. The media/key should come from a previously licensed product from the OEM or retail channel."
In other words a key you already have and have activated before.

Any that you can find. You can use any matching key to activate the product. A key off the side of a machine the end user already owns is perfectly fine and legal for this. You are already legally licensed as that is your right under the OEM license for Windows 10. If you have to call in and are asked if this copy of windows is installed anywhere else, tell them no. And it would be correct. This license is for Windows 10 or 7 and its not being used anywhere else. Activation does not equal the status of the license.

Is that correct? I always thought that the key that is on the label attached to a machine was tied to that machine. Windows won't stop you, but I believe it's not correct

Is that correct? I always thought that the key that is on the label attached to a machine was tied to that machine. Windows won't stop you, but I believe it's not correct
Yes, you're correct and yes I am correct. Again go back to the instructions on Microsoft's website.

"
Follow these steps to downgrade to an earlier version of Windows software:

• Use genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade. The media/key should come from a previously licensed product from the OEM or retail channel."
In other words, Microsoft is telling you that the only way to get this installed is to borrow a key from an existing install of Windows 7. Your goal is to get it properly activated. The product key is not your license. It is the validation method of your license. Which is not perfect and because of the method of this license you need to go around Microsoft's normal procedure.

So before you ask: "Why doesn't Microsoft just issue a new Windows 7 key to anyone that has a valid Windows 10 Pro key?" Simple, because people would abuse the system and call in and claim to be downgrading Windows 10 and get a new key for Windows 7 which they would put on another system. Presto instant free copy of Windows.

i just found in the forum howtogeek , some uders use some free soft , they make System GoBack Free .it is easy

Back