[REQUEST] How to Backup AutoDesk Land Desktop 2007?

We, the consumers, get what they, the producers, produce and support.
Not true. You know what the marketing guys say: "give the customers what they want" :)
If people were really against, said "activation", it would have been removed...
Things die.
From a software/computer/data perspective it's a strange idea...
No one screams at GM because they no longer produce parts for a 1996 Buick, as but one example.
Yes, but they will if they find something was put in their car to prevent them from fixing it.
Something nobody told them about, something without any technical use except deprive them of their "right" to fix their car.

Last edited:
Yes they are! It's written in the EULA, and you know it well.

When you buy their products, you are buying support for a predefined period of time (standard support, extended support, etc.). They have to respect that. It's a contract. Think of it as a guarantee, like when you buy a car.

Problem with (old) activation schemes, they did not tell you, * at the time of purchase *, that they will end your capacity to reinstall the software by shutting down their servers...
Sorry, but there is not. Attached is the EULA for Windows Xp Pro. Please show me WHERE the terms of SUPPORT are in the document. There are none. You have a limited warranty right, basically, you can get a portion of your money back and most of that is fostered on the retailer you purchased it from. There are ZERO obligations to support the product in the EULA.

Attachments

• Windows XP_Professional_English_9e8a2f82-c320-4301-869f-839a853868a1.pdf
    176.1 KB · Views: 2
Please show me WHERE the terms of SUPPORT are in the document.

Ignoring the specific document you've presented, this is pretty much the standard, period.

Ongoing maintenance, as in "the software is in support," is not, in any way, shape, or form, the same as giving user support. It's essentially doing what has to be done to protect themselves from liability from threats that were not as yet identified at a given point in time. Any "feature updates" (which include Windows Feature Updates) are entirely optional. We're seeing that now with Windows 10. Often have length of support "open ended" at introduction and determine the date of EOL much further down the road. This was the case with Windows 10, and we all knew that the claims that it was "the final version of Windows" was just so much marketing hype.

This should be clearly stated in the EULA. I don't think it is... (I might be wrong, though :))
Historically the EULA's have been quite specific about all the details. At least as specific as lawyers want to make things. The problem is with the OEM's and retailers. When they say, for example, Quicken 2023 on sale for 29.99, the customer understands it like any other purchase. Once purchase it's theirs. But that's not how software works. Software is a copyrighted product - ownership always stays with the copyright holder. The purchaser is buying a license to use the software. Much like buying an airline ticket is not buying part of a plane, it's buying a service.

Attached is the EULA for Windows Xp Pro.
You may have a point here, as I cannot find any Windows XP Pro ** boxed & French ** EULA.

Anyway, you have a warranty:
"11. LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCT ACQUIRED IN THE US AND CANADA.
Microsoft warrants that the Product will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying
materials for a period of ninety days from the date of receipt."
And:
"If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial
law prohibits disclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty or condition."
-> I think it's the case over here.

But that was not my point. Point is: "they did not tell you, * at the time of purchase *, that they will end your capacity to reinstall the software by shutting down their servers..."

Point is: "they did not tell you, * at the time of purchase *, that they will end your capacity to reinstall the software by shutting down their servers..."

Counterpoint is: No sane adult would believe that any server would be maintained "in perpetuity." Never happened, never will. Convention is that they are maintained "long enough" that reinstalls on the hardware characteristic of what was available at the time of initial release is still in common use (usually longer, if you ask me). No company is ever going to give you a date as to when they're going to shut down activation servers at the outset of software introduction, and everyone knows that these do not stay active in perpetuity.

this is pretty much the standard, period.
This is not a reason to be happy with it. It's a bad standard, period.

Why are you defending the (many) flaws of this industry? I don't like them, I'm working with them, but I won't accept them - in an ideological way of course.

Lot of laws are coming in Europe to control this industry.
Do you really think that hardware that can't be fixed, the stealing consumers' data, the selling of unfinished software, restrictive EULAs, and so on will or should go on? I don't think so!

Last edited:
You may have a point here, as I cannot find any Windows XP Pro ** boxed & French ** EULA.

Anyway, you have a warranty:
"11. LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCT ACQUIRED IN THE US AND CANADA.
Microsoft warrants that the Product will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying
materials for a period of ninety days from the date of receipt."
And:
"If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial
law prohibits disclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty or condition."
-> I think it's the case over here.

But that was not my point. Point is: "they did not tell you, * at the time of purchase *, that they will end your capacity to reinstall the software by shutting down their servers..."
Oldsmobile gave me no warning that parts would still be available when I bought my first car in 1981 either. Adobe gave me no warnings that future versions of Windows would not run Photoshop.

Never happened, never will.
Look at my post above, on Adobe Creative Suite 2.
that any server would be maintained "in perpetuity." Never happened, never will.
Their problem, not mine. If they did not tell me the product won't work after a certain period of time -> their fault & responsibility.
They cannot include an artificial time limit if they didn't warn customers about it...

Oldsmobile gave me no warning that parts would still be available when I bought my first car in 1981 either. Adobe gave me no warnings that future versions of Windows would not run Photoshop.
Still not the point. Oldsmobile did not include devices to prevent you to drive your car after a period of time. This is what activation does!

This is not a reason to be happy with it. It's a bad standard, period.

Your happiness or my happiness is entirely irrelevant. You simply cannot or will not grasp that.

If you consider what I'm doing a defense of the industry, rather than a reporting of what one has every reason to expect, and act accordingly, then that's your interpretation.

You know how this works. What you are doing, and keep doing, in light of that is what gets called, "Pissing into the wind," in the USA (and, perhaps, elsewhere).

How I feel about any of this is utterly beside the point. It's the system under which I have to operate, and the probability of any change is, effectively, zero. I have better things to do with my emotional energy, thanks.

Look at my post above, on Adobe Creative Suite 2.

Which is an OPTION that any maker MAY choose to do. Most don't, and that's a well established fact. I haven't seen Adobe doing it since, either.

The makers of this stuff decide the options they'll offer, not me, not you, not any user.

Your happiness or my happiness is entirely irrelevant.
So sad :(
I don't like what they do, and believe me, regulators over here don't either.
Things do change, and one way to do it, is by letting your voice be heard.
(And even if they don't, I do not have to agree with things I don't like!!!)

I do not have to agree with things I don't like!

Who ever said you did?

But you do have to work with "the system" as it exists at any point in time. It's also worth taking the long view and predicting whether or not you expect something might change, or not.

There are all sorts of things I disagree with, or don't like, that I simply work with because that's what's here, and likely to stay here. And some of that has stayed here since I started in the business in the 1980s.

Pick your battles carefully. Your long term health, mental and otherwise, depends upon it. A constant state of distress in regard to the decommissioning of activation servers will not serve you well in the long term. And the change you seek is not likely to occur.

A constant state of distress
Thanks for caring! Don't worry! Just voicing my point here, maybe a little too loud, but mainly for fun :)
(I assume everyone here has the knowledge to bypass activation if we really wanted to...)

Last edited:
(I assume everyone here has the knowledge to bypass activation if we really wanted to...)

Actually, I don't, and I'm not suggesting sharing it, either. Hacking/Cracking software is not something I ever even wanted to delve into. Any time I've had something that's died and is, "Dead, truly dead," I just find a replacement. [And that skill has served me very well indeed in this profession.]

Learning assembly & using debuggers may have some side effects

The last I touched any assembly language was in the 1980s, and debuggers probably the late 1990s.

When it comes to "on the bare metal" or "creative circumvention" I am more rusty than the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz and have NO desire for an oil can!

Back