Windows 10 Digital Activation between two similar computers

It is Belarc output, but Belarc is not going to find Microsoft Licensing that would not be known about in the users corresponding Microsoft Account IF that account has been the one linked to ownership of the machine from the time it was entered in OOBE.

I honestly don't remember if my Windows licenses are even shown in my Microsoft Account when they started out life with the machine at the factory, even if OOBE had not been done yet. I'm not finding any WIndows licenses specifically listed either under "Services & Subscriptions" nor in the "Info & support" link for my respective devices, although the Windows OS Edition information, e.g. "Windows 11 Pro," are correct for each. I don't know if this would be different were any of these upgrade licenses purchased separately.

It is Belarc output, but Belarc is not going to find Microsoft Licensing that would not be known about in the users corresponding Microsoft Account IF that account has been the one linked to ownership of the machine from the time it was entered in OOBE.

I honestly don't remember if my Windows licenses are even shown in my Microsoft Account when they started out life with the machine at the factory, even if OOBE had not been done yet. I'm not finding any WIndows licenses specifically listed either under "Services & Subscriptions" nor in the "Info & support" link for my respective devices, although the Windows OS Edition information, e.g. "Windows 11 Pro," are correct for each. I don't know if this would be different were any of these upgrade licenses purchased separately.
Only Retail versions will show up in a M$ account. If you have an OEM that is tied to the machine either in BIOS or on the sticker on the side. Moving a HDD from one machine to another is technically a license violation. Though in one sense it is a replacement mobo as part of a repair which is allowed through you have to contact Microsoft support and get a new key issued. The hassle is why it’s worth buying the full retail license for DIY gaming rigs.

@nlinecomputers,

. . . what you're confirming is precisely what I had assumed, as I have yet to see a single Windows license visibly linked to a Microsoft Account. Since the vast majority of my clients, and myself, are using OEM licenses that are technically not transferrable that's no surprise.

But the whole thing of MS allowing you to do a "heart transplant" of the OS drive from one box into another, and sailing merrily along is yet another of those utter inconsistencies in Microsoft's approach to licensing and enforcement I just don't get. If you're going to allow this as they do then for the love of heaven set up the license so that it's allowed. If it's actually not allowed, make sure Windows comes up with a prominent watermark, if you ever allow it to come up completely at all, for drive transfers where the steps for mobo replacement have not been followed.

Microsoft breeds completely understandable willingness among the general public to dismiss their licenses as mere paper tigers. It wasn't always that way, either.

Microsoft breeds completely understandable willingness among the general public to dismiss their licenses as mere paper tigers. It wasn't always that way, either.
Because back in the Xp days activation problems locked out legitimate users causing hassles for end user and Microsoft. It’s frankly easier both from technical and consumer satisfaction reasons to make the rules bendable. Only a small segment knows about it and fewer still get their knickers in a twist defending Microsoft, who clearly needs no defense from their mountain top of cash.

I know in the past I have replaced a hard drive for a customer with a digital license (not linked to MS account) - and since the MB was licensed, it activated with a digital license immediately upon connection to the internet. The issue is likely placing an already 'activated' hard drive into a different system. That is where the MS account could come in handy.

I find that I usually start off all of my builds for customers as a local account - then if they choose to sign into their MS account, they can. I am usually building systems in the late evenings, and I don't want to call a customer at 11:30pm asking about a MS Account that they likely have no idea what the password (or even e-mail) is.

Even the idea of asking for the information before hand makes my head hurt a little bit..... Microsoft Account? Is that like my GMAIL?? Is it the same password as my GMAIL? I have 6 email addresses, but I don't know the passwords to any of them! Try my dogs name, its only 3 characters - I am sure that is the password!

We have quite a few business users that are like machine shops and engineering offices that seem to own specific software that they have used for years and is not longer in production. I know what you are thinking Mr. Briteguy - NO - they can not just get another software package. it is usually driving CNC machines or the like that is also out of manufacture. Most of these are small operators that can't afford to buy a new CNC system or whatever for $50-200K. Therefore when their PC goes out we need to clone or transfer the old HDD/SSD to another computer. Thus we are placed in the position as what is being described.

We have quite a few business users that are like machine shops and engineering offices that seem to own specific software that they have used for years and is not longer in production. I know what you are thinking Mr. Briteguy - NO - they can not just get another software package. it is usually driving CNC machines or the like that is also out of manufacture. Most of these are small operators that can't afford to buy a new CNC system or whatever for $50-200K. Therefore when their PC goes out we need to clone or transfer the old HDD/SSD to another computer. Thus we are placed in the position as what is being described.
This is one reason why activation issues are easier to fix now. Usually running the troubleshooter I linked to above fixes this and you move on. Might not be technically legal but M$ got the money for the PC the first time and in the OPs case they have paid for two copies and are only using one. Not gonna cry for Billy Gates.

Even the idea of asking for the information before hand makes my head hurt a little bit..... Microsoft Account? Is that like my GMAIL?? Is it the same password as my GMAIL? I have 6 email addresses, but I don't know the passwords to any of them! Try my dogs name, its only 3 characters - I am sure that is the password!

And this does happen. But as far as I'm concerned all of the interaction time about this is billable as well as being a very good educational experience for the client. I have been trying to impress upon my clientele, for years (and having significant success), that you are responsible for and absolutely must know your login IDs, and that those login IDs these days are very, very likely to be your e-mail address, which may get used as your LOGIN ID over and over and over again.

"You will eventually get a new computer, you will eventually get a new smartphone, you will eventually get a new tablet, and I can guarantee you that all of these are most likely linked to a cloud account where your email address is the login ID. You have GOT to know this stuff, even if it's by going to that sheet of paper in your desk drawer where you recorded it when you got your first smartphone, tablet, or computer."

"You will eventually get a new computer, you will eventually get a new smartphone, you will eventually get a new tablet,
You have GOT to know this stuff, even if it's by going to that sheet of paper in your desk drawer where you recorded it when you got your first smartphone, tablet, or computer."
Good luck with that...

I can't imagine billing my customer for asking them what their password is AFTER I am already making money building their PC. I like to think that my laziness in giving everyone a Local account is that my customers have the ultimate choice in what they do with their account on their PC. If Grandma doesn't want a login password - a local account is a nice way to hit the power button and have the system boot right to desktop for her.

Good luck with that...

I can't tell you how many here keep saying this, but I have actually had good luck with it. One of my biggest success stories is 80+ years old. She still doesn't have these things in her memory, but she does have a log now that she uses when such is necessary.

This is not rocket science, and most people can recall more than one occasion where they wanted to shoot themselves because they did not have this information to hand.

Once burned, twice shy.

I can't imagine billing my customer for asking them what their password is AFTER I am already making money building their PC.

If they can supply it, on demand, neither can I. And some can, and do. But if I have to spend time untangling a Gordian knot in order to prevent the even bigger mess of "just creating another account" each and every time a hardware change occurs, you can bet your sweet patootie that it's billable. It generally involves me having to go through a lot of "forgot username" and "forgot password" work that takes not inconsiderable time, and it's in the client's best interests not to have a trail of Microsoft Accounts, Google Accounts, etc., trailing behind them.

Making this billable is exactly how you prevent the problem in the future. To quote Marcus on Babylon 5 “My grandmother always said ‘You can get more done with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then just a kind word’.”

It also doesn't hurt, when this occurs, to actually come out and say, "You just paid me, {insert appropriate amount here} to figure out your correct login and password for {insert correct thing here}. I hate charging it as much as you probably don't want to pay it. If you keep this information where you can find it, this expense can be completely avoided ever again."

Sometimes making clear that actions (or inactions) have costs, what those actions (or inactions) were, and how they can be avoided going forward is the very best customer service you can give.

People tend to value what they have to pay for, but love not having to pay for something unless they have to.

I am gonna try that line: SIR - you are gonna VALUE the heck outta me now - cuz you are gonna PAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY hah

I guess treating this job like we are computer physicians, where part of what we supply our clients is best practice advice they may not want to hear, rather than just doing what the client wants or think they want is just something that some will do, and some will not.

I always give the client information I believe they need to know to make their computer life better. If a client decides to let me go because I have presented, in a professional manner, an inconvenient truth then I hope the next tech likes them better.

My job includes presenting what I believe to be best practices (for the whole context), whether the client chooses to adopt them or not. That's how you create both informed consent, and trust. If, after hearing what I've said, the client says, "No," that's their choice, but at least they're making an informed choice.

When you say the second system is digitally licensed, does the second system have SLP? As in embedded key in BIOS? Because if an embedded key is present, that might be what is causing the issue. It's been a while since I tackled this, but often SLP keys can get in the way. So you can grab a utility that will read the BIOS Key and put that in the Windows Activation screen and it will update the license.

Also, it's easy to forget, but is one license Home but another Pro?

When you say the second system is digitally licensed, does the second system have SLP? As in embedded key in BIOS? Because if an embedded key is present, that might be what is causing the issue. It's been a while since I tackled this, but often SLP keys can get in the way. So you can grab a utility that will read the BIOS Key and put that in the Windows Activation screen and it will update the license.

Also, it's easy to forget, but is one license Home but another Pro?
These were two custom systems the user built - so no SLP. Good thinking with the version - I have definitely made that mistake before (naturally on my own system).

Yeah, RWEverything is great for reading the embedded keys if needed. I recall that helped me out years ago with Windows 8 when the SLP was a new thing.

Back