Did Windows 7 to 10 Update get taken down by MS???

River Valley Computer

Reaction score
We maybe have been sleeping and missed an announcement, but did MS disable the server that allows updates from Windows 7 computers up to Windows 10??? Sorry - I searched and didn't find anything on it. Thanks

Not that I'm aware of. Updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 can be done strictly using the ISO file with no internet connection. The internet connection is just needed if you want it to try to fetch any updates at upgrade time that were not part of the ISO.

Some people have reported issues with updating from Windows 7 straight to Windows 10 22H2, and the usual workaround for that is to upgrade to Windows 10 1903, then let the 1903 instance do the follow-up update to 22H2. It might be 1803, not 1903, and I'm sure someone will chime in on that. I've not hit the "won't upgrade to the latest Win10" myself, but it's happened way too often to way too many to not be a possibility.

The phrasing of OP question has me slightly puzzled as to where and in what way they are seeing issues to better answer the problem.

The phrasing of OP question has me slightly puzzled as to where and in what way they are seeing issues to better answer the problem.
We were using the method we have used for a number of years. We have Flash Drive with 21H2 or 22H2 on them. We install Win10. Then when it comes to activating them and enter the Win 7 product key it vomits. It will not accept it.

@mmerry

I'll believe it when the first person attempting to do a Win7 to Win10 upgrade can't do it. I've seen several of these articles, too, all of which quote the same announcement that MS made in 2016.

This is a separate issue from whether installing Windows 10 and trying to use a Win7 product key for it will work. I can't speak to that at all.

Interesting as based on OPs reply to me sounds like he is doing what we all typically do and has been working however @mikeroq is stating to the contrary at least as far back as ~2 weeks. The article @mmerry links appears dated 9/30/23 which is close enough to 2 weeks it is possible they have fixed the glitch since @mikeroq last did one. The article links a MS statement dated 9/20/23 which is also very close though a little beyond the 2 weeks of the successful example given.

I have recently seen chatter in just the past 2 weeks in various other online tech resources (some tech groups in FB)....that it appears to have come to an end. It's been a long ride, Microsoft allowed it to work for far many years more than originally intended.

Any computers licensed/still running Win7 are soooo dang old now, this is like almost like hoping to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 10...they're done, time to put them out to pasture.

But that is about upgrading to Win11, not 10.
Nope.
> "allowing people to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 *** or *** 11 free of charge.
And comments:
>"However, the article should note that this also means Windows 7/8 licenses will not active Windows 10 installs - and that is actually the loophole that existed."

Nope.
> "allowing people to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 *** or *** 11 free of charge.
And comments:
>"However, the article should note that this also means Windows 7/8 licenses will not active Windows 10 installs - and that is actually the loophole that existed."

Sorry, but an offhand reference, once, in an article that is focused on Windows 11, and repeatedly says, Windows 11 . . .

In any case, I still don't buy that the in-place upgrade from 7 to 10 (and, by extension, 8.1 to 10) is dead strictly based on what's been offered on this topic. Microsoft has been saying "you can't do this" since July 2016. The first time I try to do it and it won't work, then I'll buy it.

And that's a different issue than using a Windows 7/8/8.1 key to activate either Windows 10 or 11, and members have indicated that's still working, too. Much of the tech press has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I did one from 7 Ultimate to 10 about 2-3 weeks ago using a freshly downloaded version. 22h2 I think. Same way I always do. Run it as an in place upgrade so there's no need to put in a product key.

We maybe have been sleeping and missed an announcement, but did MS disable the server that allows updates from Windows 7 computers up to Windows 10??? Sorry - I searched and didn't find anything on it. Thanks
I had just read an article within the last 3-4 days that said the free update from Win7/8/8.1 to Win10 period was....finished/ended/no longer.

The fact that computers of the Win7 era are "old" is not really relevant for the class of user who would be upgrading at this point, anyway. They've clearly chosen, for whatever reason, to hold on to what they've got.

When I was in peak in-place upgrade mode, most Win7 machines got a new breath of life from going to Win10, because it handles so many things like memory management, etc., so much more gracefully.

I wouldn't hesitate to try an in-place upgrade for a client who wanted one, while also advising them that come autumn of 2025, they are going to have to get a new computer.

The source of this information appears to be https://devicepartner.microsoft.com...ath-for-free-windows-7-8-upgrade?ranMID=24542 and it is a recent development. Just because some of you have done in a few weeks ago, it doesnt mean that this isnt now in effect.
I've always said after the official closing date for this offer, it may or may not work, but i'll give it a go. I havent seen a windows 7/8 machine for quite a while now. Also Windows 10 handles platter drives like ****, so any of those would also need an SSD, so upgrading a 10+ year old computer doesnt make that much sense now.

Also Windows 10 handles platter drives like ****

Er, no. It certainly handles them every bit as well as Win7/8/8.1 did.

I'd never consider forcing an upgrade to an SSD in a Win7 to Win10 machine at this point unless the client requested it. There's not enough life left in Win10 to justify it unless the client wants it. They're already used to HDD performance (or lack thereof). Win10 has never, in my experience (which is extensive) made HDD performance worse.

Er, no. It certainly handles them every bit as well as Win7/8/8.1 did.

I'd never consider forcing an upgrade to an SSD in a Win7 to Win10 machine at this point unless the client requested it. There's not enough life left in Win10 to justify it unless the client wants it. They're already used to HDD performance (or lack thereof). Win10 has never, in my experience (which is extensive) made HDD performance worse.
Any Windows 10 machine that i've either used or upgraded from 7/8 to 10 that had no major performance issues has had a major drop in performance as soon as the upgrade is complete, mostly related to not being able to read/write quick enough. Modern hardware can handle all the simultaneous read/writes that we are now used to and this is the way software is now being written. Viewing the disk performance and quite often seeing it above 80% for long periods even when relatively idle was enough to confirm this.

Back