Did Windows 7 to 10 Update get taken down by MS???

Viewing the disk performance and quite often seeing it above 80% for long periods even when relatively idle was enough to confirm this.

OK, you're talking formal measures, and I'm talking "user perception." I never found Windows 10 "laggier" with an HDD, ever, as far as the sitting in front of the machine experience goes, and that's all I care about.

How it's chugging away "under the hood" is of no concern to me at all.

OK, you're talking formal measures, and I'm talking "user perception." I never found Windows 10 "laggier" with an HDD, ever, as far as the sitting in front of the machine experience goes, and that's all I care about.

I looked there to find the cause of a very noticeable slow down, so yes i am talking about "user perception". Its been noted here by others here in the past that there is a noticeable performance difference with Windows 10 on a HDD so i am not alone, its something that made an SSD upgrade sale so easy.

While windows updates are happening is when it becomes very noticeable.

While windows updates are happening is when it becomes very noticeable.

I can't disagree with that. But those are not daily events.

I did a number of SSD upgrades, but really wouldn't recommend one now for a Win7 to Win10 in-place upgrade. If that is really desired the money (including technician time) to do it is better spent on replacing the computer with a Win11 machine now.

I can't disagree with that. But those are not daily events.
Thats not the only occurrence, its just a very noticeable time. Boot times are slower, general navigation is slower, application opening times are slower. If you've never experienced that, then lucky you!
I did a number of SSD upgrades, but really wouldn't recommend one now for a Win7 to Win10 in-place upgrade. If that is really desired the money (including technician time) to do it is better spent on replacing the computer with a Win11 machine now.
This I 100% agree with.

Boot times are slower, general navigation is slower, application opening times are slower. If you've never experienced that, then lucky you!

Well, I never noticed that they were slower than they already had been when using Windows 7 or 8/8.1. I'm not trying to claim they're not slower than an SSD, as that's demonstrably untrue, but I never experienced massive differences in "in front of the computer" behavior on an in-place upgraded machine that was different than it had been pre-upgrade. If it was fast-ish, it stayed fast-ish, and if it was sluggish it stayed that way.

I will say HDD is noticeably laggier in user experience in Win10, and I assume 11, however this so far is only true of Laptops for me where the HDD is a 5400 RPM any 7200 RPM HDD has not had any noticeable issue for the end user experience unless the drive was failing or dying in some regards.

I've certainly found Windows 10 on platters to be SUBSTANTIALLY more painful than prior OS's...particular when doing feature updates. Excruciatingly slow for those upgrades. Like...gotta walk away for a day, and come back tomorrow, reboot it in the morning...maybe it'll be done by lunch. Rather mow my lawn with toenail clippers, or paint the golden gate bridge with a toothbrush!

SSD's are dirt cheap, scrounge up the coins on the floor of the car and splurge on an SSD....multitudes cheaper cost wise to clone to an SSD..and then do a feature update...which will be done in under an hour now. And...at IT hourly rates...an hour plus an SSD, versus...a day 'n a half....at 100 or 150 or 200 an hour....

For our clients on MSP plans...we simply will not support a platter drive. We're responsible for updates...we're not going to punish ourselves with that kind of time investment...it's a lose/lose.

The fact that computers of the Win7 era are "old" is not really relevant for the class of user who would be upgrading at this point, anyway. They've clearly chosen, for whatever reason, to hold on to what they've got.

When I was in peak in-place upgrade mode, most Win7 machines got a new breath of life from going to Win10, because it handles so many things like memory management, etc., so much more gracefully.

I wouldn't hesitate to try an in-place upgrade for a client who wanted one, while also advising them that come autumn of 2025, they are going to have to get a new computer.
Our point exactly! Not all customers can afford the latest and greatest nor do they need it for what they do.

For our clients on MSP plans...we simply will not support a platter drive.

And it's abundantly clear that is not the demographic to which any of us are referring at this point. What MSP client is still doing Win7 to Win10 upgrades in 2023? I'll bet you can count those on less than two hands.

Also, Feature Updates are infrequent (there will be none going forward for Windows 10) and I've always had clients run them by kicking them off before going to bed. Time is not an object.

Back