7 Brand new computers all intermittently blue screening, I'm at a loss here.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I replaced 7 Dell workstations and 1 Dell server at a clients office who works in Accounting. All of them were Vostro 3681's with either the following:

Core i7
512GB NVme SSD
8GB DDR4

or

Core i5
256GB NVme SSD
8GB DDR4

All of the computers we upgraded prior to install with an additional 8GB's of Crucial DDR4 and all were upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

All of the installs are nearly identical with typical accounting stuff. Lacerte, Thompson Reuters Software, Quickbooks, a couple of Network Printers, Office, and CFS Tax Tools, Syncro + BitDefender.

The main part of the installation took place in late December.

Some of the workstations have Dymo Label Printers, some do not.

Some of them have old Scansnaps like fi-5120 or fi-6120 which are technically not compatible with Windows 10/11 but I was able to get the x64 driver to work.

The day after I did the install the client sent me a picture of HIS workstation sitting at the Windows 11 Recovery screen. He was able to get past this by clicking Advanced options, then Continue. After that the computer boots up normally.

At this point I was like oh WTF, maybe he has a bad stick of RAM or something. Since he was able to boot up I called it a fluke and we moved on. Then a couple days later .. a different workstation had the same problem. They come in the next day and the computer is sitting at the Windows 11 Recovery. Same thing, advanced options, continue, and the computer boots.

I turned off auto-restart on system failure to get a picture of the blue screen and hit the logs. I do see in the logs unexpected shutdowns, and this blue screen does match the log error in the picture below.

1674605123316.png

Over the next couple of weeks all of the computers totally intermittent, sometimes it takes a day or two, sometimes several days, sometimes 7 or 8 days, the computers have all been blue screening with the same blue screen.

This issue does not just happen overnight, it will also intermittently blue screen in the middle of working on it. Some of the workstations will literally just be idle, and no one will use them for 4 or 5 days and they will blue screen all on their own.

I wakeup almost everyday with a text message from the client with one of the computers sitting at a blue screen. Thankfully he has been very patient as it is not tax season.

I have tried:

Full Windows updates
Full Driver updates
Full BIOS updates
Sitting and praying

Should I try doing an in-place upgrade of Windows 11 to see if that helps? (Installing Windows 11 on top of Windows 11, is that even an option anymore?)

Is it possible I got 7 bad sticks of DDR4?

Googling the blue screen hasn't been a whole lot of help, a lot of the same SFC /scannow crap.

I'm drowning in work right now and I can't have this on top of everything. I can't believe 7 different computers are all blue screening. I specifically went higher end with i7 + 16GB to avoid this.

I'm trying to avoid doing a Nuke & Pave and a FULL re-installation of the workstations because this install took me 3 days to do even though yes a lot of it was the Server.

The client spent about $24k on this setup and I'm starting to look like a fool.

One other thing to note is it looks like I made a mistake and installed 2666Mhz RAM instead of what it came with which was 3200Mhz.

I know I have done this before, and have not had a problem with instability.

I will be going out there soon to install some backup batteries maybe I'll yank the RAM.

The log shows this

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000018 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffa0819d207050, 0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: e631b073-9a03-4909-b4eb-95769db8f922.

The MEMORY.DMP file is a 2.8GB file.

One other thing to note is it looks like I made a mistake and installed 2666Mhz RAM instead of what it came with which was 3200Mhz.

I know I have done this before, and have not had a problem with instability.

I will be going out there soon to install some backup batteries maybe I'll yank the RAM.
Very likely that is your issue. Or drivers. Those old scanners may not work. Remove them and see if the problem goes away.

Look for the features common to all the machines: power and RAM.

I'll second the idea of pulling out the additional RAM. Don't replace it - remove it and take the hardware back to its original configuration. If that works then yes, you screwed up (which is a good thing!). If not, it's UPS time.

Well you’re crashing the kernel itself. Are there any other errors in the event logs just before the BSOD? Other items are almost certainly crashing just before it goes totally off the rails.

You didn't mention if you did this, or I missed it. But I'd try running Dell's onboard diagnostics on one of them for an extended period of time.

Through the last half of last year Microsoft updates kept messing with the print spooler. An old solution was to ensure the print server was using exactly the same driver as the clients. I personally ran into an issue years ago where I had to switch to HP's Universal Driver rather than their printer-specific code due to problems that were nearly identical to what you're seeing.

Otherwise, I'd be curious about BIOS security settings and optional things like Virtualization. My thinking is that it's a Ring 0 driver but not an important one since it lets the OS continue to run.

I liked the idea to pull the extra RAM. At that point also you could get Dell support help to shake this out once the machines are back to their out-of-box mode.

My only other thought is perhaps it would be better to revert to Win10 for another year? Yes, I know that would be days more work to reinstall them again.

Dell's are the most picky machines with ram I swear lol...I refuse to put anything in them other than an exact replica of what came from the factory.

Back