How to disable laptop screen when connecting a docking station with TWO monitors in Windows 11

HCHTech

Reaction score
I swear I remember doing this before at some point, but I'm just not finding it now. If I have just a single external monitor, there is the setting in Display Settings to display "Only on monitor 2". This makes the laptop screen go dark when you connect the external monitor. How do I do this when I'm using a docking station that has TWO monitors connected? There is no longer an option in Display Settings that applies. I can choose to display "only on screen 2" or "only on screen 3", but not "only on screens 2 and 3". I suppose I could just change the lid-close action to 'nothing' and have them close up the laptop, but I swear there is another way.

Searching a bit, this might be something that went away with Windows 11?

I suspected this might be hardware-dependent. This client has a Asus Vivobook, so I'll have to dig around to see if there is an equivalent. On your HP, do those options allow you to do what I'm describing?

I suspected this might be hardware-dependent. This client has a Asus Vivobook, so I'll have to dig around to see if there is an equivalent. On your HP, do those options allow you to do what I'm describing?
I believe they do but I'm on Windows 10 so I'm not sure if the function keys act the same in Windows 11.

Last edited:
This appears to have the same options as the display app in settings. I.e. you can choose any one of the externals as the "only" display, but you cannot choose two of the externals. I think I'm stuck with just changing the setting for what happens when you close the lid, which then forces the use of an external keyboard.

In this case the end user was trying to avoid using an external keyboard. It seemed like a simple request, but it appears there is no way to do that. It's an odd limitation, and I swear it used to be possible, but I could be remembering something completely unrelated...

Back