[SOLVED] How to Make LG OLED Set to Max Brightness Always?

Appletax

Reaction score
Edit: 100% ****-out-of-luck! Solution: get a different TV/monitor.

-----
Got a new LG OLED 48" C1 to use as a computer monitor. It's usually not even as bright as my 500 nits laptop display.

Have HDR enabled in Windows. When I just have my browser open, the window gets very bright (LOVE) when it's very small, but when I make the browser take up more screen real estate, it gets dimmer and dimmer. SDR looks awful.

I want this TV to operate at max brightness. I want it to be as bright as possible! When the browser window is maximized, I want it to be just as bright as when it's super small.

What to do?

This TV is capable of being so much brighter.

Do I need to buy the technician's remote so I can turn off auto brightness crap?

I think this is the one:

Edit: was able to access the service manual using this program and it did not help.

Some of my current settings:

- Picture: HDR Select Mode - Game Optimizer (User): Game Genre: Standard, 119 FPS, 10 Black Stabilizer, 10 White Stabilizer, Low Latency On, G-Sync VRR enabled
- Aspect Ratio: Original
- OLED Brightness: 100
- Screen Brightness: 50 (increasing washes out picture - looks like crap - no more inky blacks)
- HDR Tone Mapping: On
- Peak Brightness: High
- Gamma: 2.2
- Black Level: Full
- Color Depth: 55
- White Balance - Color Temp: 0
- AI Brightness Settings + AI Sound Pro both on
- HDMI Deep Color: 4K (On)

Last edited:
The way I understand it, and is touched on here, the OLED TV's will limit the output brightness to compensate for power use and heat.

"You don't have a choice. ABL can't be disabled. It will continually compensate the brightness output based on total brightness of the scene. All TVs have ABL just that OLED is 2 to 3 times more aggressive than LCDs.

The times you notice ABL are in heavily lighted scenes- like snow scenes or the like where white or bright covers the most part of the screen. It starts off retining burning and gradually decreases brightness to keep the heat and current in check. I don't find it bothersome at all but some people notice it. Again, all TVs have it so its not just an OLED thing."

Get a monitor or wait for a decent priced QD-OLED panel. I'm waiting for QD-OLED.

Found a program that enabled the advanced menu sans technician's remote. Turned off the automatic dimming feature. Did not help.

This screen sucks for brightness!

Should sell it and get the new Alienware QD-OLED.

Hard to say - that's the monitor I've been looking at, but I think I'm going to wait for 2nd gen from QD-OLED or at least make sure it works by letting others test it for me, first.

Hard to say - that's the monitor I've been looking at, but I think I'm going to wait for 2nd gen from QD-OLED or at least make sure it works by letting others test it for me, first.

Comes with a premium 3-year warranty that covers burn-in!

It's like a sore peter - you can't beat it!!! :p :p :p

So, I'd get it now and not worry about whether or not it's gonna be a reliable, long-lasting monitor.

Last edited:
Ya, I already have a 34" ultrawide Alienware (1440 120Hz).. so, when "it happens", my excuse is that my son was asking for a new monitor.. so I can get an upgrade ;-)

Now I am drooling over the Samsung Neo G9.

Quantum mini-LED 2000 nits 😍

Very expensive, though (although, it's gone down a TON).

LG C1 OLED VS. SAMSUNG ODYSSEY NEO G9: THE PERFECT MONITOR DOESN’T EXIST

"That last example can be weird in practice: if you expand a bright white web browser page (like the one you’re reading) from a window to fullscreen, you can watch the entire screen dim to a paper white instead."

^ That is what makes me want to get a different monitor. It's soooo dim when fullscreen.

This TV is only good as a TV - it SUCKS BALLS as a monitor.

Last edited:
Back