Samsung Neo G7 is Awful - Need Different Monitor

Appletax

Reaction score
Experiencing multiple issues with my new Samsung Neo G7 monitor.

Main issue is that the curvature looks absolutely horrible. It's terrible to look at. Had to go back to using my laptop's flat display (Legion 7), which is so much better to look at. Don't know how anyone can like a curved display.

For claiming a 2000 nits brightness, it sure lacks brightness - it's on par with my Legion 7's 500 nits display in SDR mode. SDR brightness is atrocious. Why do we get nice brightness in HDR but sh!t brightness in SDR? SDR needs brightness, too! I spend most of my time in SDR mode (web browsing, Word, etc.) Same issue with the LG 48" C1 OLED I had - crap SDR, great HDR - the larger I make the web browser / Word doc window, the dimmer the display gets - makes me crazy!!!

Also: multiple dead pixels, text looks bad, speckle look, overall weird AF to look at.

I saw in a YouTube video that there's relatively high SDR brightness with the AORUS FV43U 43".

"But it has a genuinely fatal flaw that's not talked about enough: it's unusable for work. Whether that's work that requires color-accuracy or work that requires text. The underlying AUO panel has a hardware design defect that causes pixel-row interference on the top half of the screen."

Just can't win!

I can't figure out what I would love. It seems like there's a ton of monitor choices and they all suck for general computing/work.

What I want:
  • <$1,500
  • 27" - 43"
  • No curvature
  • 4K +
  • Bright in SDR (600+ nits)
  • Great looking, sharp text
  • 120Hz +
  • Preferably a nice warranty and great customer service (good luck with that)

I think what you really need to do is go to a store that has a bunch of monitors. That way you can view them in person, see the brightness, etc. Maybe MicroCenter? Might be a bit far based on your location.

Virtually every product will have mixed reviews.

Back