XPS13 not respecting "Do Nothing" setting for "Choose what closing the lid does"

HCHTech

Reaction score
This computer was new in January. I've been going back and forth with this customer, who uses a dock with a single external monitor. Every couple of weeks he calls me that the laptop is shutting down when closing the lid even though the "Do Nothing" choice is clearly selected. It's on the latest BIOS and latest version of every driver (Dell Command Update FTW), Windows 11 Home, fully updated. Since he does travel occasionally, I can't just disable the lid switch (I think this is a setting in the BIOS). Usually, checking for updates (and typically finding none), selecting a different lid close action, rebooting and then re-choosing "Do Nothing", Going through the power options to look for other unusual choices, etc. will set it right - but only for a couple of weeks. Then he calls again. I can't find this as a "known issue" anywhere or any current questions like this with a search.

If it was the OTHER way (NOT shutting down or sleeping when the settings was to do so) then I would suspect a dodgy switch. But the way it's failing has to be software, doesn't it?

This computer was new in January.

I'd consider warranty exchange if no one has any great ideas here (and I'll admit that I don't). This is the sort of problem that you could spend "forever" chasing down and never solving and since the machine is pretty much brand new, and we know this shouldn't be happening . . .

When the issue occurs, check under cmd if the displayed power scheme is really active.
>powercfg /q

Does it have this Dell Optimizer App software on it, as was discussed previously? - Maybe it's that!

The next time this happens, I'll check for the optimizer app and whether the selected plan is active via command line.

Today, after a reboot, the "Do Nothing" choice magically had changed itself to "Shut Down", so we changed it back (again) and it's working again. Just typing that makes me mad all over again - haha. I think I'm going to check for that optimizer app now - well as soon as the guy returns my call... It's not showing on the software inventory page of my RMM, but I don't know if that always lists every "app".

Back