[SOLVED] Windows 10 Not Activating

Appletax

Reaction score
Edit: solved! Solution: do a clean installation of Windows 10 and use the Windows 7 key during the installation.

Client was given a computer that had a startup password that may have been put in place by a bs scammer.

Since there's nothing of his on it and he has never used it, I opted to reload the OS so the computer is like new for him.

Problem: Windows 10 Home will not activate

Here is what I did:

1] Reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit [universal ISO, retail version]

2] Did not install any drivers or updates -- Windows Updates disabled

(Windows 7's nearly 200 updates that takes hours to complete are a pain-in-the-ass)

3] Connected to the Internet

4] Activated Windows successfully using the product key on the COA

5] Rebooted. On my 2nd attempt at this, I left the machine on overnight in High Performance mode.

6] Used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10 Home

7] Updated Windows apps & Windows itself

8] Rebooted

9] Won't activate

Windows 10 free upgrades are supposed to still work

Last edited:
Should of just clean installed 10 and used the Win 7 COA to activate. Your way was a big waste of time.:rolleyes:

We can do that?! :eek::eek::eek:

Like this?

1] Install Win 10 -- do not input Win 7 key cos it will not accept it here

2] Connect to Internet

3] Updates

4] Activate w/ Win 7 key

You can try using the Win 7 key in Windows now and see if it activates Win10.

If it does, you can reload it from scratch using Win10 and it should be activated once it sees the internet.

Install Win10, click have key button during install, feed it the Win7 key, watch 10 install and activate itself. I find that the keys only work during the install.

Not sure how a fresh Win7 + upgrade didn't work... that's strange.

Install Win10, click have key button during install, feed it the Win7 key, watch 10 install and activate itself. I find that the keys only work during the install.

Not sure how a fresh Win7 + upgrade didn't work... that's strange.

Gonna go try this. If it works... omg... the time it will save me!! <3 SO PUMPED lol.

Yes, very strange. Tried it 2x. Frustrating.

If it EVER had Windows 10 on it in the past you do not need to INPUT ANY key. Just activate once the system is booted up. A few times I have had issues activating but running the troubleshooter fixed it. Also make certain you are installing the correct version. Could be the system had PRO on it???

If it EVER had Windows 10 on it in the past you do not need to INPUT ANY key. Just activate once the system is booted up. A few times I have had issues activating but running the troubleshooter fixed it. Also make certain you are installing the correct version. Could be the system had PRO on it???

I know :)

Never had Win 10 on it -- Win 7 Home Premium only

Last two systems I upgraded to Windows 10 I didn't have to enter a key. It just activated on boot up. Perhaps they both had Win 10 on it in the past but both end users claimed that was not the case. But both are ignorant enough to not really know for sure.

Last two systems I upgraded to Windows 10 I didn't have to enter a key. It just activated on boot up. Perhaps they both had Win 10 on it in the past but both end users claimed that was not the case. But both are ignorant enough to not really know for sure.
If the systems came from the OEM with Windows 8.x, the key is in the BIOS. The Win 10 installer will use the BIOS key and activate automatically -- of course this assumes that the version of Win 8 matches the Win 10 you're installing (e.g. home, pro).

Yep, no key input will be required on an EFI based system with a key in the BIOS, you won't even get the option to use a key. A fact that annoys me to no end when someone bought an OEM key for a larger Windows version... because you have to setup an ei.cfg file on the key to install the correct version.

BUT, Win7? None of them did that, so you end up putting in the key if for no other reason than the installer installing the correct version of Windows for you.

If the systems came from the OEM with Windows 8.x, the key is in the BIOS. The Win 10 installer will use the BIOS key and activate automatically -- of course this assumes that the version of Win 8 matches the Win 10 you're installing (e.g. home, pro).
These were definitely Win 10 Windows 7 systems. One probability is that they were forced upgraded back during the GWX malware that M$hit push out and some tech before me rolled them back.

Edit: Duh...

Last edited:
These were definitely Win 10 systems
You mean Windows 7? Don't forget many business grade systems were preinstalled with Win7 under the downgrade rights associated with Win8Pro, so these would have the embedded Win8 key.
One probability is that they were forced upgraded back during the GWX malware that M$hit push out and some tech before me rolled them back
Definitely a possibility that users may have blocked from their memory!

Back