Some jobs just make you smile .....

bertie40

Reaction score
I was called to a job this morning at a doctors.
They have just been "upgraded" by another computer tech.
They had a few issues, and seeing as I've been treated by one of the docs, he called me in.

Dear God..... What a mess.

Don't you just Iove it, when you expand the bottom right task-bar, and the vast number of icons blows a hole out of the left hand side of the monitor

The old favourites, including some I've never seen before. Conduit etc. etc.
"YAC" (yet another cleaner) ?

Knee deep in malware.

AV was AVG free.

But that pails into insignificance, regarding the router.

I saw "Netgear" being broadcast on my iphone, with no password.

"I hope that isn't your router" I said.

It was.
Dumbstruck.

And the firmware was a couple of years out of date. Netgear DNG1000

I used to have one of these.

Virus.
A Problem with snap.do though

Adwcleaner
Rogue killer
MBAM
Hitman pro
Combo fix

Still can't get rid of the program file listing. More research on this one.

I'm going back though, as they have two other machines.

My point being, is that this installation is only a couple of months old.

This "Tech" copied data from an old hard drive to a new one. Then, THEN SCRUBBED THAT OLD DRIVE BEFORE CHECKING EVERYTHING HAD COPIED ACROSS CORRECTLY..

They lost loads of data.

Where is that old drive ?
He lost it. !

The machine is used in their reception, for just simple stuff.

Of course he built them something "Deep Thought" would have trouble keeping up with.

A 2TB drive.

Why ?

I checked file manager, and there is a minuscule slither of "blue" in the left hand corner of the data occupied bit.

8 GB of memory. i5 CPU.
XP Pro.

And it's still a bit sluggish.

As I left, the clouds parted and I was bathed in a gentle shaft of luminescent sunshine.

This was a good day.
(Not for them though).

PS.
There aren't any data backups being made.

Last edited:
wow... :eek:
So do you now have the doctors office account for life?
And do you get free medical care with that? :) *

* I see you're in the UK, and I'm not sure if you pay for health care at all, or how much. I'm in the US, were we do, at least, some of us like myself do.

Last edited:
I like to think I left a good impression.

The secretary (who we all know, in every business, actually runs the place), thinks I'm a god.

I talked to one of the managers, and I hope I instilled a decent level of confidence in me.

As for healthcare, we yuks have the national health service, which pays for everything.

Well, .......If you actually want to get better!, and don't want to wait several millennia, you can go private, which where the health insurance comes in handy.

The National Health Service (NHS), gets a lot of stick for quality and performance, but at a base level, it ain't bad... Mostly.

Remember, the NHS was part of the London Olympics 2012 opening ceremony.

I like to think I left a good impression.

The secretary (who we all know, in every business, actually runs the place), thinks I'm a god.

I talked to one of the managers, and I hope I instilled a decent level of confidence in me.

As for healthcare, we yuks have the national health service, which pays for everything.

Well, .......If you actually want to get better!, and don't want to wait several millennia, you can go private, which where the health insurance comes in handy.

The National Health Service (NHS), gets a lot of stick for quality and performance, but at a base level, it ain't bad... Mostly.

Remember, the NHS was part of the London Olympics 2012 opening ceremony.

Sounds like a very qualified, sort-of recommendation for you national health care system!

And now I do remember watching the opening ceremonies for London. It's a good thing the announcer told us it was about the NHS or I'm not sure we would have figured it out. It did seem strange to use the Olympics to promote a government program. I can just see our "benevolent" IRS (Internal Revenue Service) sponsoring an Olympics here in the US.

As I left, the clouds parted and I was bathed in a gentle shaft of luminescent sunshine.

This was a good day.
(Not for them though).

Ummm... I hate you! :p

My day has been so crappy, it's unbelievable! Had issues trying to get an RDP gateway on an SBS2011 box to work (and it still isn't), and then had issues trying to get a Vsphere connection into an ESXi box to recover some data. It just wouldn't work, no matter what I did! In the midst of all that I had to field phone calls from HP, introducing my new account manager. I just wanted to shout at him and say "GO AWAY" using some choice other words, but I refrained.....

Still, there's another day tomorrow, and the way this week is going, it'll be the same again.

Andy.

y4umy4y4.jpg

etareqer.jpg

Happy days

Sorry to hear about your experience. (Or rather experience of your client). I can appreciate how you handled it. No matter how inexperienced the previous tech was, it is important not to make them look bad in the eyes of a client.
I'm sure all of us at some point were newbies. We need to keep that in mind. I appreciate when IT guys keep it professional, make the client happy without making other techs look bad. When similar situation occur, we try to make it look as if the previous tech did what we could, and it wasn't that bad. We just tell the client that there are other options. So we fix the problem and make the client happy without making the previous tech look bad.
I am against those, who have 10+ years of experience in the field and who trash newbies.
Well done!

Sorry to hear about your experience. (Or rather experience of your client). I can appreciate how you handled it. No matter how inexperienced the previous tech was, it is important not to make them look bad in the eyes of a client.
I'm sure all of us at some point were newbies. We need to keep that in mind. I appreciate when IT guys keep it professional, make the client happy without making other techs look bad. When similar situation occur, we try to make it look as if the previous tech did what we could, and it wasn't that bad. We just tell the client that there are other options. So we fix the problem and make the client happy without making the previous tech look bad.
I am against those, who have 10+ years of experience in the field and who trash newbies.
Well done!
It's hard to say something good or defend the previous tech when the client is blowing their stack about that tech.
What do you do when they want specifics on how / what is wrong with what their tech has done? And now they are asking what you would have done...

All I can say is we try to keep the comments to a minimum. We want to look and sound professional and badmouthing another tech is not professional.
The client may relate the way you speak about a tech to the way you would be speaking about them as a client.

I try and not badmouth another tek/company in front of customers, i try and phrase it well your machines have developed these problems or I would have done it another way type of thing.

It's hard to say something good or defend the previous tech when the client is blowing their stack about that tech.
What do you do when they want specifics on how / what is wrong with what their tech has done? And now they are asking what you would have done...

All I can say is we try to keep the comments to a minimum. We want to look and sound professional and badmouthing another tech is not professional.
The client may relate the way you speak about a tech to the way you would be speaking about them as a client.

I try to give the other tech the benefit of the doubt. Well, at least when he has left room for that. I have walked into some places and said, "Holy $%&$! Who built this?" once or twice before I caught myself.

Can't agree more on that. My point is, when there is nothing good to say, I prefer not to say anything.
Two days ago I took my wife to a dentist to do teeth cleaning. She looked at the teeth and ask when was the last time she had that done at the dentist. My wife said -6 months ago. It was obvious that the dentist wasn't too impressed by the cleaning work of the previous doctor, but still, said nothing. Just took her 2x longer to do proper cleaning.
:)

Back