It's the clients, they just kill me.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
1.) I take on a referral from an MSP client for a one-time job because I have a tiny bit of open time. I don't normally do this as I mainly focus on MSP, but it was for a friend of an MSP client. Job is, setup 5 brand new email accounts, no migration, change DNS, done. She has a Google Workspace tenant already, and a M365 tenant already. I say ok well we can either make a new tenant or use your existing tenant at M365 and just add the new domain in, since you own both they will be easier to centrally manage there. Plus M365 will future proof the new company as just about everyone in the world uses M365 services now. Job approved, quoted at 3-4 hours, shouldn't be a big deal.

It takes me TWO HOURS to get ahold of the correct information for the Google Workspace Tenant (Domain), the M365 Tenant, and the Wix account where their DNS is. I finally hang up the phone with the dingo and get to work. At this point it's not a big deal and it's Friday so I have an hour or so. Get into the M365 tenant, get boxes setup, swap DNS, schedule the email for Monday to send over temporary account details.

I get text at 7pm after I'm already done from Dingo and she's added another number into the conversation. "Hi! I'd like to introduce you do my assistant! Dingo#2! She has questions for you before you set us up at M365."

I blow it off and call her Monday before the scheduled email goes out. "Hey we don't want you to set it up on M365 I'm her assistant and I don't like Outlook or Microsoft I want to be able to switch in between the different account and clients I assist for in Gmail Chrome! All of my clients all use Google Apps or Gmail. Also we need help moving our stuff from one Google Drive to another.

OK DINGO2 WELL THE JOB IS DONE ALREADY and this is NOT at all the scope of what I was described, I don't support Google Apps technically but now everyone is in a bind so I'll try to help. I tell her now I'm doing the job over (an exaggeration I know) and now we're talking more money for your mistake AND I can't touch this now until next week! AAAGGHHHHHHHH

2.) I get a call from another non-MSP client. Hey we needed to upgrade our Sage and we couldn't find the number so we started googling and we found a number, and they remoted into our systems. They did upgrade our Sage but now we've lost multi-user, we can only login one person at a time and then they charged us $2600 for "1-Year of support". I google all the numbers they called and they all look extremely fishy. Whoever was in their system left them a notepad receipt for $2600 with a phone number (that no long works).

So I said well you might want to keep an eye on your credit card but you NEED to call Sage DIRECTLY and figure this out.

"Oh we didn't pay them by credit card"

HOW DID YOU PAY THEM?

"I gave him our routing number, and account number to our checking account."

YOU DID WHAT? You gave them this information on what website!?

"Oh no I just verbalized our checking account details with him over the phone."

PPPPPPEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOPPPPPPLEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Last edited:

Sorry (not sorry), but this level of stupidity (it can't accurately be called ignorance) gets exactly the results it deserves.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who gives some service provider they have never done business with this sort of information, over the phone, cannot be excused for having done so, for any reason.

Even my credit union has a system in place, for customers who want to send funds to each other, to set up the account number equivalent of a temporary credit card number. And it can only be used for one customer to send funds to the other, it cannot be used to withdraw funds at all.

@Markverhyden: I'd also change that "drink" to "think," in this case.

So I said well you might want to keep an eye on your credit card but you NEED to call Sage DIRECTLY and figure this out.

HOW DID YOU PAY THEM?

I just let out a loud OMG and shook my head. LMAO! goodness this can't be!

Time for a new checking account, attached credit cards, deposit stamp and everything else attached to that account.

And if the CEO has a brain, time for a new staff to replace every idiot that was on that call. Wait, the CEO himself was on that call? Well then... time to fire a client! They obviously cannot afford to pay you.

2.) I get a call from another non-MSP client. Hey we needed to upgrade our Sage and we couldn't find the number so we started googling and we found a number, and they remoted into our systems. They did upgrade our Sage but now we've lost multi-user, we can only login one person at a time and then they charged us $2600 for "1-Year of support". I google all the numbers they called and they all look extremely fishy. Whoever was in their system left them a notepad receipt for $2600 with a phone number (that no long works).

HOW DID YOU PAY THEM?

This client just emailed me and said they have two incidents of check fraud they want to talk to me about.

No **** Sherlock.

No thank you. This is now being downgraded to a next week problem.

Just wow. Those are some epic stories. Love it when an "assistant" gets to dictate how to run a company. There are no words for that second company.

Back