Network cabinet or not ?

Big Jim

Reaction score
I have been tasked with "tidying up" this cabling.
The cabling was moved from its original location and all of the additional slack used up in doing so, and now I am left with this.
The shortest cable being about 6" long

The small shelf is temporary until I can go back and sort this out properly.

Normally we would obviously just stick it all in a small network cabinet, with a patch panel.

the issues I have
1 - as you can see some of the cables are too short, I assume in this scenario the only thing I can do is add a cat5 punchdown joiner for the very shortest cables.
2 - space is limited, to the left just in shot in this pic is a small door for access to a loft space
3 - power is about 8 feet to the right of this picture
4 - There is also an NVR to be added which will be around 12" deep, I don't think that a 450 deep cab is going to fit here.

My thoughts at this moment in time are to get a wall mounted patch panel and a small shelf above it (similar to the one in the picture but a bit deeper) with NVR on top, then the switch and the AP can sit on top of the NVR.
This seems like it is going to be messy looking though.
As you can probably tell I am an overthinker and most of you would probably just say (with regards to the mess), not my problem given that I have only been brought into this project at this stage, despite the electrician onsite repeatedly telling them to get me in to advise on networking.

Attachments

• 20230508_153747.jpg
    20230508_153747.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 33
^^^ This. I've seen plenty of vertical cabinets in limited space environments. I'd also go with the patch panel immediately below the hole where the cables come out of the wall.

Yeah I'd definitely go vertical rack mount.

I've used the Startech 2U mount a couple times as it's a nice size for patch panel + switch. They also make a 3U version if your NVR has rack ears it could be mounted alongside. Keep the little shelf above for the router

Example below of someone going a bit mad, vertically mounting a patch + switch + full length server...

43562251_2082474034.jpg

Yeah I'd definitely go vertical rack mount.

I've used the Startech 2U mount a couple times as it's a nice size for patch panel + switch. They also make a 3U version if your NVR has rack ears it could be mounted alongside. Keep the little shelf above for the router

Example below of someone going a bit mad, vertically mounting a patch + switch + full length server...

43562251_2082474034.jpg
They make shelves with vents in the bottom. You can use those to secure non-rack mount compatible devices since many have threaded holes on the base. Or you could even use tie wraps or any other methods to secure the device to the base.

Back