Flaky browsers especially on new tabs

Rigo

Reaction score
Alienware 15 R4 - laptop on Win 11 came in with the browser no longer reaching websites after an update, not sure of what. Especially when opening new tabs.
Basically used for gaming and browsing, only games installed.
First opening any of the already installed browsers, Edge or Chrome, sometimes work correctly but opening a new tab or clicking on a link fails to access the target site.
Spybot S&D was installed, removed and manually cleaned up registry of any left-overs re Safer Networking as well.
Newly installed Firefox seems to work, except clicking on a link sometimes opens: oovaultydotcom that's offering Total AV. Couldn't find anything about oovaulty when googling.
Steps so far:
1) - Cleaned up caches, reset browsers to default, repair-installed Edge.
2) - Repair-installed Windows
3) - Ran Adwcleaner, MBAM trial (no longer offers full system scan?), Ccleaner for deep cleaning of temp and redundant registry entries, Antivirus Removal Tool, SFC... nothing detected
4) - Uninstalled wless drivers including attempt to delete currently installed set and re-installed from freshly d/loaded package. Reset network.
5) - Cleared and reset HOSTS file.
Side testing to confirm NIC is ok.
1) - Installed a fully working Win11 test drive + using the on-board NIC - works flawlessly.
2) - Disable on-board NIC + use a USB NIC - works flawlessly ==> something interfering with on-board NIC?
3) - Ethernet connection with on-board NIC disabled or enabled - works flawlessly.
MS Defender is the only protection now, nothing suspicious as far as I can see in firewall and other settings when comparing with my own laptop, maybe I'm not noticing.
3) - MBAM installed seems to overcome whatever is interfering with the connection though no malware was detected or removed.
Uninstalled MBAM - the problem returns.
Re-installing MBAM - problem fixed.
N&P might be an option but client doesn't like the idea of re-installing/reconfiguring everything and hunting for passwords.
Where else should I check? Any other detection/malware cleanup tool?
Mostly hate giving up on something so close to resolution :mad:

This really doesn't sound like malware to me.

About the only two things you haven't tried (unless I missed it) are a System Restore to a time when it all worked properly, or a repair reinstallation of Windows.

You probably won't be able to do a System Restore after all that activity but a repair reinstall (upgrading Windows to the same version, for anyone who doesn't know) might be your best option.

Oh, and please don't use CCleaner or Spybot - they were both great in their day, but that was ten years ago. There are much better and safer tools now, and you're already using some of them.

Last edited:
This really doesn't sound like malware to me.

About the only two things you haven't tried (unless I missed it) are a System Restore - can't do that now, too many iterations including SSD upgrade to larger capacity + repair-installs - to a time when it all worked properly, or a repair reinstallation of Windows. - Done to no effect.

You probably won't be able to do a System Restore after all that activity, but a repair reinstall (upgrading Windows to the same version, for anyone who doesn't know) might be your best option.

Oh, and please don't use Cleaner - I still use that for desperate cases, never had a problem with it, though I always create a restore point before or Spybot - Was installed before I got it - they we re both great in their day, but that was ten years ago - Correct. There are much better and safer tools now, and you're already using some of them.
Thx for the feedback :)

There's definitely something in the system.
Removed MBAM.
Installed AVAST Business - everything works. Currently scanning, then I'll try Roguekiller if that doesn't bring up/fix anything.

There's definitely something in the system.
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.
I will take a look.

Full scan with AVAST and RogueKiller, nothing found.
There must be something set somewhere that's messing up with the data flow of the on-board NIC. There is no configurations in proxy or vpn or dns settings. Unless these can also be done out of these contexts.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.
I will take a look.
Sure, thx.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    67.3 KB · Views: 5
I'm not going to suggest using it at this stage as @Porthos's analysis of your Farbar data could tell you exactly what the problem is, but if you're looking for an I-don't-care-what's-wrong-just-fix-it tool then Tweaking.com's Windows Repair might be what you need.

It's often effective but it takes such a scattershot approach that you'll never know what the cause of the problem was. I suspect that by this point you might be OK with that.

Last edited:
🤣🤣
Been a long while since I had such a screwed case.
Last resort N&P, don't like doing it and consider it the easy way out 🙂
Why not? A nuke and pave always results in a faster cleaner running system. Unless he is running some oddball software and doesn’t have the installation files I can always find and reinstall all of the clients software. As for settings and passwords that’s what FABS is for. That’s what a google account is for. That’s what a Microsoft Account is for. You’ve spent more un billable time then N&P would have likely taken. Just sayin. I don’t waste time anymore with virus hunting.

"except clicking on a link sometimes opens: oovaultydotcom that's offering Total AV. Couldn't find anything about oovaulty when googling."

Nuke and pave to get rid of a bait and switch.

Edit: @Rigo did you create a new profile on the machine to test? Might very well be bad reg entries are only in the local profile.

Last edited:
Done that already, sorry missed reporting on it
Tweakking,com is a last-ditch hail mary and should not be used unless you plan to reinstall. In my opinion you just trashed the Windows install now by using it.
Just as bad as tweaking.
OMG! Out of the frying pan into the fire!
Avast/avg is garbage.

Still looking at the logs but it may be a lost cause because of the above mentioned.

Please uninstall the following before doing ANYTHING else. Please restart 2 times after .

Avast Business CloudCare (HKLM-x32\...\Avast Business CloudCare) (Version: 22.7.1193 - AVAST Software)
Avast Business Security (HKLM\...\Avast Antivirus) (Version: 23.2.2742 - Avast Software)
CCleaner (HKLM\...\CCleaner) (Version: 6.10 - Piriform)
RogueKiller version 15.8.2.0 (HKLM\...\8B3D7924-ED89-486B-8322-E8594065D5CB_is1) (Version: 15.8.2.0 - Adlice Software)
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (HKLM-x32\...\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair) (Version: 4.13.1 - Tweaking.com)

Then
Save the attached file: FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\mdmat\Downloads\Farbar
Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log to your next reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    32 KB · Views: 6
Back