Flaky browsers especially on new tabs

Please uninstall the following before doing ANYTHING else. Please restart 2 times after .

Avast Business CloudCare (HKLM-x32\...\Avast Business CloudCare) (Version: 22.7.1193 - AVAST Software)
Avast Business Security (HKLM\...\Avast Antivirus) (Version: 23.2.2742 - Avast Software)
CCleaner (HKLM\...\CCleaner) (Version: 6.10 - Piriform)
RogueKiller version 15.8.2.0 (HKLM\...\8B3D7924-ED89-486B-8322-E8594065D5CB_is1) (Version: 15.8.2.0 - Adlice Software)
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (HKLM-x32\...\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair) (Version: 4.13.1 - Tweaking.com)

Then
Save the attached file: FIXLIST.TXT to this folder C:\Users\mdmat\Downloads\Farbar
Run the Farbar program with Admin rights and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The fix may possibly take up to 60 minutes to complete

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log named Fixlog.txt in the same folder you ran the Farbar program from. Please attach that log to your next reply.
Thx Porthos
I've never lost a system through Tweaking, but I take note of your comment about it thx.
Sorry didn't fully read the instructions and went ahead and ran the fix, the re-ran after removing the softwares as directed.
Hope the results won't be too far off 😏
If not AVG/AVAST, which one to now recommend to customers? I think they've sold out to the Norton family now. Not the products would change from the deal.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    245 KB · Views: 3
Windows Defender
Yes, I've been recommending that but some business customers insist on having a paid protection as they feel this may not be enough.
As it turns out in the current case, somehow Defender is not able to deal with/block whatever is messing around with the browsers.
If an infection it is not detected by any clean-up tool.
My client will have to bite the bullet and suffer a N&P.

Nothing. Windows Defender is very good. There’s no need for 3rd party AV anymore for most home users.

That's pretty much what I tell everyone. If they insist on a paid for A/V I go for either Bitdefender or Eset Nod32. Honestly not really sure if they help any better at this point but that's what I go with. Buy them from antivirussales.com when needed.

That's pretty much what I tell everyone. If they insist on a paid for A/V I go for either Bitdefender or Eset Nod32. Honestly not really sure if they help any better at this point but that's what I go with. Buy them from antivirussales.com when needed.
This. My RMM also has built-in AV based on Bitdefender.

And based on data from virtually every security testing lab, I have to say that Windows Defender is A-OK for anyone, period.

It's consistently in the top 10 products testing cycle after testing cycle after testing cycle, year after year, from lab after lab. And it causes virtually zero issues under Windows unlike every 3rd party product I've ever used or encountered (some of which are horrendous on that count while others are nearly perfect, but why risk it?).

Security is about layers, and the first layer is NOT the security suite, but the end user. The careless and cavalier always have issues, regardless of security suite/antivirus, while the even kinda-sorta careful seldom have any.

If you are going to do that I will stop now.

If you wish to work on it more then grab a new set of farbar logs.
I am off to bed.
Thx for your help Porthos.
I've told my client I no longer am confident about totally cleaning up this installation and we definitely need to N&P to be confident there's nothing potentially lurking. Synchronising to MS or Google would save his stash of credentials which was his biggest concern.
He agreed so I'll stop trying to clean this thing any further.
Much appreciated :)

Back