Lenovo - black screen

Tech Savvy

Reaction score
I have a customer with a

Legion Y540-17IRH Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 81Q4.​

Supposedly since we installed the syncro agent they have been experiencing an issue where the screen goes black even when actively using the machine or on a teams call.

I uninstalled the graphics driver. Installed the latest driver from nvidia, used Lenovo service bridge to get latest driver, ram a memtest and all seemed well. Did the usual windows repair (dism and sfc) none of which worked. I even did a complete nuke and pave and replaced the ram just for the hell of it and it worked for a while, but now it’s back.

I know it’s a graphics card problem because if I press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B the driver reset itself and it works for a while again.

The user is saying it happens multiple times a day.

I also think it’s a driver problem because another user with the same computer is experiencing the same problem only much less frequently. Both supposedly starting after installing the syncro agent.

Nothing stands out to me in the event viewer and no blue screens.

Any ideas?

Have you tried using the laptop connected to a separate monitor to rule out display cable of the laptop?
Yes, the user frequently runs two monitors. When this happens only the laptop screen blanks out. The external monitor continues to function like normal.

Another piece of info that might be useful is the display mode remains extended. It doesn’t reset to 2nd screen only.

If it was the laptop screen or display cable I’d like expect to see some kind of flicker or discoloration or lines. This doesn’t have any of that. It simply stops working randomly. Plus the driver reset hotkeys brings it back to normal. Nothing lost, nothing moved. Very frustrating for the user in the middle of a teams call lol.

One more added piece of info is that this user is an AutoCAD user. Although the user says it happens when on teams, maybe autocad is a running and doing some heavy lifting causing the GPU to overheat and shut itself off? Idk how likely that is and it that was the case would the external display still be operational?

Back