[SOLVED] G suite for Outlook sync tool

Rosco

Reaction score
Good morning Nibblers

I have an interesting G suite question. I have a client who was part of the free legacy G Suite e-mail. I do not manage this domain. When Google discontinued the free legacy program, they switched over to the paid version. All this time, they had just been using Gmail inside Outlook. They have tons of e-mail. They are real estate brokers so many attachments have pictures and documents to increase the overall size of the emails. I've helped them manage it over the years, creating archive folders, but they always become a massive data file. One of the top people just got a new laptop. As everyone gets new computers, I've switched them to the G Suite Outlook sync tool. That way, we can manage the size of the data file, and they can have the calendar and contacts in Outlook as well. Plus, when anything goes wrong, it's a lot easier to rip out the old profile and start fresh. The client wanted to do unlimited for the sink on Google G suite. I advised against it, but they were adamant. Turns out it was 130 gigabytes of emails. As you can imagine, Outlook did not like that. Even though it's supposed to limit the size to Microsoft's 50 GB limit, we end up using the next biggest option, 4 GB. Of course, the client likes how fast things load but only has four months of back emails. He is not looking to search for old emails on Gmail if we can help it. The Google support page has a procedure to customize the limit of data synced through the tool. I followed the guidelines and made the appropriate alterations to the registry, but the data limit has not increased. Has anybody had any experience with raising the limit? I have attached a screenshot of the procedure recommended by Google. I appreciate everyone's help and hope everyone's having a good day!

Attachments

• technibble gsuite.png
    technibble gsuite.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 2
Turns out it was 130 gigabytes of emails

Which is insane, just insane.

Email is not now, and never was, meant for long term storage of large amounts of data, and even less so when much of that data is shared among multiple people, not just the person who may have received the email first.

SharePoint, or Teams, or any one of a number of Cloud Storage solutions is where the content of seldom-accessed email and any attachments that went with it should go.

To quote @Sky-Knight from a different topic: "Automating a broken process just gets us to the wrong answer faster..." You can substitute "Automating a," with, "Attempting to support a hopelessly," and the principle applies.

Some things are just not done. 130 GB email is one of those.

Also it's most likely about 70 gigs of email, most of the clutter is from the important and All Mail folders. Still too much for Outlook.

Also it's most likely about 70 gigs of email, most of the clutter is from the important and All Mail folders. Still too much for Outlook.

And, clearly, even you make specific exceptions to your general position, "It's the client's data, they should be able to do what they want with it."

This is a perfect example of where "what they want" is not tenable when it comes to the technology in use. They need a different tool for the task of storing that much data in a way that can be accessed reliably, and without causing email problems, over the long term. They also need to be told that in no uncertain terms (which can still be quite businesslike, but firm).

Yes, and that's again their choice of the data. I give them options based on the requirements allowed by Outlook. I don't do reg hacks or compress files or anything like that.

One of my clients has 400 gigs of data in their GW account. Had....now it's down to 30 gigs and the rest was moved to a Microsoft account, 3 mailboxes so he can have access to everything. This was costly for him, but in the end....he got what he wanted.

Thanks, everyone. I guess we will leave it at 4 GB or bust. If he really needs all this mail, he can get used to searching Gmail, or, as @callthatgirl mentioned, find a much more expensive solution.

Good call, or tell them to move to Exchange and get it all lol. I had to tell that to a guy today, he had 35 employees who all love GW. He knew he would lose on that decision.

Back