Question Windows 10 programs sometimes freeze... Not a HD Issue

rogerjohnsam

Reaction score
Windows programs freeze and the only way to get it working again is to hit Control-Alt-Delete and go to switch user and log into the same user.

So sometimes this happens every 20 min and sometimes it doesn't happen for hours or even a day. Its just the programs that freeze and not all of Windows. Its a year old computer. I thought it may be the drive (and I wanted a SSD anyways) so I put in a SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 and I still have the same problem. I'm not running a lot of programs, but everything is updated and still supported by the developers (mighty text, chrome, final draft, MS Office and a few other little things).

Its a year old Dell i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM, new Samsung 1 TB SSD installed a couple weeks ago, external seagate 8TB drive (it still freezes even with this disconnected), and another internal 4TB drive.

Any idea what is going on and what's causing it?

EDIT: Also, the cursor started jumping on its own sometimes

Last edited:
Just tried it, same problem.... Not sure "what AV?" means... Are you asking about the graphics card?

I did run Dell Update and updated everything last week and still have the issue.

Yes, its a desktop

Disconnect this too.
What AV?
Are the drivers and bios up to date.
This is a desktop??

I would look into the Event Log and see if Windows is complaining about anything that coincides with the crash.

Sometimes firmware updates are not listed on auto update apps, so check manually on Dell's site.

The fact that the issue persists means an elusive hardware issue or a software quirk/incompatible program. Maybe try a different build of Windows 10?

it doesn't happen for hours or even a day. Its just the programs that freeze and not all of Windows

the only way to get it working again is to hit Control-Alt-Delete

EDIT: Also, the cursor started jumping on its own sometimes
Wireless mouse?
Are you sure the programs are freezing and its not just the mouse? If you have a wireless mouse that uses a USB transmitter/receiver, other USB devices, such as USB drives, can interfere with their operation, especially when they're using front-mounted USB sockets with long internal connecting cables, which can make them susceptible to cross-talk and electrical interference. I've seen systems with exactly the symptoms you describe ... working fine until a USB drive starts transferring data, causing the mouse to freeze.

Create a new user account and see if you get the same problem when logged in to that.

If you do, it's almost certainly a hardware problem. If you don't, move all the user's personal stuff into the account that works and call it a day.

Five minutes of easy work and you've halved the problem space. Diagnosis 101.

and I wanted a SSD anyways)

Does that mean that this is your own computer, not a client's? That opens up a whole lot of options that aren't generally cost-effective when charging a client but make perfect sense when it's your own kit.

Flaky power supply, most likely. Those new Dell desktops are disposable pieces of trash with non-standardized components. If it's an XPS then it at least has a standard power supply, but things are so cramped in there that the thing overheats. You can build a decent Ryzen system for the same price with 10x better quality components and a nice roomy case.

It does that with a wired mouse as well and even with the external disconnected.

Wireless mouse?
Are you sure the programs are freezing and its not just the mouse? If you have a wireless mouse that uses a USB transmitter/receiver, other USB devices, such as USB drives, can interfere with their operation, especially when they're using front-mounted USB sockets with long internal connecting cables, which can make them susceptible to cross-talk and electrical interference. I've seen systems with exactly the symptoms you describe ... working fine until a USB drive starts transferring data, causing the mouse to freeze.

Have you checked Event Logs? Check both System & Application. Logs are probably one of the easiest and quickest way to check up on Windows and see what it is complaining about. It's usually one of my first things I check because if it's not a hardware issue, it could be software/compatibility/bugs/etc and the logs could show you were to look.

You can also use an app to run a trace of the apps you use, see what resource calls they are making. It's been a while since doing this so the available options/apps have probably changed. I used to use this feature to get an idea of why an app was giving errors, what resources it was trying to use and where it was looking for said resource, which can often be a bizarre vendor specific thing.

To me it sounds as if you have a unique issue, one back in the day I would love to sit down and trace everything. You learn allot about how Windows works and even make a buck or two.

Back