New ThinkCenter M70T strange issue with outlook 365

brandonkick

Reaction score
Got a brand new machine to replace one for a local business. Was a great deal on amazon.... Intel Core i7 - 10700, 32GB ram, 2TB NVMe, WiFi/Bluetooth, Win 11 PRO so I recommended it. Paid around $700 shipped

Anyways, pretty easy to setup. Signed them into their company O365, setup clients for teams / sharepoint, mapped things as they had it, installed local printer and some LOB software. That was about 10 days ago.

Today I get a call, no out going email from his outlook. I remote in and find 32 emails in the "outbox". I hit the update all folders button, the send all button... nothing. Checking permissions... looking at like if he somehow set up delayed sending, looking at if its some kind of auth issue..... couldn't find anything. Outlook starts to freeze / hang at one point so I just kill it in the task manager. Re launch. Emails... JUST. START. SENDING. Outbox empties itself. Works fine now.

WTF. What do I say besides "typical windows". A reboot fixes so many things. But from his perspective, even though he wasn't upset with me... I can totally get it. I replace this 10 year old dinosaur of a machine for him, tell him how much better it will run and so on... and in the first week or so this crap happens. Now it IS (as far as I can tell) just something that comes with the territory because rebooting DOES "magic". Now, is it exactly magic? No, not really. There IS some good explanation, most don't take the time or have the desire to dig to find it.

This is simple a case of "have you seen this, and have you any clue why"? Because it's been eating away at me for some reason....

Outlook is a beast, I tell my clients this to help relieve them...

Outlook can snag up from Office updates, Windows updates, Defender updates, stuck in the task manager, one big email can get stuck, traveling and using different internet connections, their home/office router, plug-ins, size of mailbox, endless reasons.

In short, just tell him that Outlook is not like word and works with the internet and can have many complications, outside of our control.

Yeah, Outlook is very much "not typical Windows". Outlook Classic is such a monster it can utterly consume a machine all by itself. No other software can do this... If Outlook wants to, you're not working today.

The one reason I'm excited about Outlook PRE right now is we're finally getting away from that old engine, because something about the Outlook we all know and love has always been this way. I've been servicing it professionally since the Office 97 release, which was the first version... it's ALWAYS done this! It will be nice to get away from that old code and start over.

Sadly, the integration challenges with the new version will be ongoing for some time.... so there is that.

But anyway, never EVER EVER think "it's just Outlook!" unless you're thinking that statement in world ending terms, because then it's accurate.

Sadly, the integration challenges with the new version will be ongoing for some time.... so there is that.

And Microsoft is doing itself no favors by putting out Previews that strip out very commonly used features. This gives people an entirely wrong impression (unless they actually intend to strip out things like the ability to create Rules, as but one example) and makes people who would potentially embrace a "New Outlook" reject it.

Microsoft needs to stop putting out previews until they are at least "almost, if not entirely, ready for primetime." That absolutely didn't happen with Outlook, and although I haven't flipped the switch to try the new Outlook in the desktop app for some months now, the chatter I keep hearing strongly suggests that has not changed.

Back