New place for Edge to sneak in

HCHTech

Reaction score
Got some complaints this week from a couple of customers about links from emails opening in Edge instead of their default browsers. I checked, and the defaults were clearly set to Firefox & Chrome. There is a (new?) setting in Outlook:

File ->Advanced->File and browser preferences->Open hyperlinks from Outlook in. Choices are "Microsoft Edge" and "Default Browser". Guess what the new default is - haha.

Yeah some announcements have been out there for the past few weeks over this update. I haven't seen it yet on my own computer, hoping to be able to manage this with an InTune config once I can test it.

If anyone figures out how to permanently remove Edge, I'd appreciate instructions. I've found a few "how-to-s" on the internet but nearly every article I found says that Edge re-implants itself during updates. I disabled Edge in the Task Manager on one laptop just to see if that works or if it turns itself back on.

What we need is a tool that can intercept any call to Edge and throw it to a browser of choice. We can only wish.

What we need is a tool that can intercept any call to Edge and throw it to a browser of choice. We can only wish.
Or some kind of script that can turn Edge into Chrome - change search from Bing to Google, make the new tab and home page Google or something else, etc.

I've done that manually on some systems, but it's time consuming. Microsoft seems to continually get you defaulted back to Edge anyway, so if there was a simple way to make it act more like Chrome that would be helpful.

You cant without breaking Windows.
Actually, I know it can't be removed permanently. But, if someone can figure out how to disable it and it stays disabled, that would be great. Even though I use Chrome as my default, anytime I save someting to a PDF, it opens in Edge. Or if I click a web link during a search in explorer, it goes straight to Edge, not Chrome.

anytime I save someting to a PDF, it opens in Edge.

It's easy to get rid of this particular annoyance.

Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Search for PDF in the file type box, then change the default app for PDF to something other than Edge. I have mine open in PDF XChange Viewer, but you can choose any application that can open PDFs, typically a PDF reader/viewer or editor.

It's easy to get rid of this particular annoyance.

Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Search for PDF in the file type box, then change the default app for PDF to something other than Edge. I have mine open in PDF XChange Viewer, but you can choose any application that can open PDFs, typically a PDF reader/viewer or editor.
I'll check that out, when I get more than a minute to myself.... thanks!

If anyone figures out how to permanently remove Edge, I'd appreciate instructions. I've found a few "how-to-s" on the internet but nearly every article I found says that Edge re-implants itself during updates. I disabled Edge in the Task Manager on one laptop just to see if that works or if it turns itself back on.
I am totally (and permanently) "Edge free!" I dont want their garbage spytool on my PC. I found a few ways to remove it.
I build my own Windows installs with NTLite though so it doesn't get installed in the first place.
I just take out the trash.

Back