Any tips on getting Crucial scanner to work again - or a replacement?

timeshifter

Reaction score
For many years Crucial's scan tool has been my go to tool for memory upgrades. I'd simply go to their site, download and run the tool and it would tell me everything I needed to know about memory for that computer - like how many slots it had, how much maximum memory, what was installed and in what slots. It was great.

Was great. But I haven't had ANY success with it in recent memory.

What happens is I run CrucialScan.exe, it creates a file called sysprofile.htm then opens it in a browser. That page will show "While we're finding compatible upgrades for your computer..." then flash a small banner ad. It will sit like that for hours. When it worked you'd see that page for a few seconds before being redirected to actual results.

I've tried running it as Administrator. I've tried different default browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). I looked for someone with their support to contact. I've looked on Google. I tried turning off Windows Firewall.

Anyone know a trick to get this to work? Or, how about an equally simple replacement that works?

Just confirming you're not alone. I have found, however, that very often just bailing on the current scan and trying again will work. Sometimes I've been perpetually stuck, but that's a rare occurrence.

I'd love to learn what other people may be using instead of the Crucial System Scanner. It's been my "go to" for years, but having alternative arrows in one's tech quiver is never a bad idea.

I'm thinking there's probably some new update in Windows or a browser that's not allowing it to see in. Considered booting up an older version of Windows, maybe a WinPE edition and see if that works. Wouldn't be as convenient, but now I'm like a dog with a bone. I don't want to let go (until I find the answer).

It works normally for me? Ran the exe as Administrator and opened the generated html file in Chrome. Saw the ad briefly and then got the lovely report. Running Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

1692472164703.png

Maybe it gets blocked because of cross-scripting. When I allow the request, the report opens. (This was in FireFox). Maybe your browser guard is blocking it without providing an option to over-ride it.

1692473081941.png

I use Memorystock.com. I've used Crucial in the past and it's been wrong more often than not. For example, it's told me a laptop would take 32gb, when in reality it would only take 16gb. Memorystock is not a scanner. It's a lookup and it's been dead on for me every single time.

Just for one additional data point, my LG Gram is the first system, ever, where this was the result from Crucial System Scanner:
1692475234620.png

The Sysinfo.exe from MemoryStock requires JavaScript, so while it got the correct basic system info, it was not able to scan correctly for RAM

1692475307373.png

As you can see, it also reports what I have to believe is an inaccurate number of slots, but who knows when it comes to soldered RAM, which this machine has.

Nope. Running it from a "Favorite programs" sub-folder in my Downloads folder.
Is that on an external drive? NoScript says it's running from "file:///E:/_Favorite%20programs/Crucial%20Memory%Scanner/sysprofile.htm".

Also, looks like your scanner is called "Crucial Memory Scanner". Did you rename the file? Mine is called "CrucialScan".

I just tried the one in Windows_Repair_Toolbox called CrucialScan.exe and working with no problems

Looks like it might be related to Content Security Policy or CSP. Not claiming that I really understand that at anything more than a superficial level. I got to that thought by asking ChatGPT. I tried an extension in Chrome to see if I could get it to help but didn't get far.

CSP extension

Here's the ChatGPT conversation if you're interested.

Is that on an external drive? NoScript says it's running from "file:///E:/_Favorite%20programs/Crucial%20Memory%Scanner/sysprofile.htm".

Also, looks like your scanner is called "Crucial Memory Scanner". Did you rename the file? Mine is called "CrucialScan".
No, it was run from the "E" partition of my non-OS drive, which is the remapped location of "Downloads." The executable is CrucialScan.exe but when I run it, it generates an html file in the same directory, named "sysprofile.html," which is immediately executed to generate the report once the No-Scrpt warning is dealt with. The html file is deleted automatically after the page opens.

I have always avoided the scanner and just used their site by putting in the make and model myself. Failing that, Belarc will give you the slot particulars. I would feel compelled to uninstall the scanner if I did use it, and the very few times I tried (usually with a home-built rig) it didn't work.

I have always avoided the scanner and just used their site by putting in the make and model myself. Failing that, Belarc will give you the slot particulars.
Belarc is kinda overkill for this purpose for me. I just want to know what slots are used with how much in each and what I can upgrade to, along with the type of memory. CrucialScan used to be great for this.

Haven't used Belarc in a long time. It's pretty solid, but it's an involved install, and we're probably breaking all kinds of licensing agreements by using it - unless you're a paying customer.

As a SyncroMSP user I thought I had an answer. My home gaming computer showed that I have 4 slots each with 8GB in them for a total of 32GB and that I can go to 64GB. Great. Now let me check my customer's computer. A Vostro 3670. SyncroMSP simply reports 8GB installed, but doesn't say if that's 2x4GB or 1x8GB. :(

I feel like if there was a dumb browser that I could install this would work again. (or a way to disable whatever is blocking this from working)

Back