Crucial SSDs - Firmware not determined

Rigo

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Having a run of bad luck with a few MX500, 1TB and 500GB.
Crucial Storage executive says: "Firmware cannot be determined".
When trying to run manual check, I get:

Error while checking for firmware updates.​

PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: validity check failed​

I've got 2 x 1TB + 2 x 500GB all giving me the run around.
I tried checking the drives when cloning with Casper failed withsome errors pointing to hardware issues.
Even if I could clone using something else, the firmware error makes me uneasy.
Crucial's support page seemed to say that the error message might be triggered by the software mistaking Windows for Linux or something to that effect.
The fwre number seems to be the latest as posted on their site:

1654498960556.png
No stock of WD equivalent, my next best option.

Either a Crucial certificate is borked or your system clock is wrong. Edit: or see below.

Where did you find the Crucial support page that you cite? I can't find anything useful on the Crucial site.

Anyway, according to the MX500 support page, there is no f/w update available for version M3CR043. Indeed, as the downloadable update is numbered lower than what you already have, that may be the reason for the error.

Crucial support page that you cite?
The program has always told me that the latest firmware was installed when it was the case. Up-to-date had never generated an error message.
I've tried on 3 different computers, one with a relatively fresh clean install with nothing else installed and fully up-to-date. Java up-to-date as well as one of the error messages was complaining about something with Sun blah-blah.
Definitively not a clock issue

Fixed!
It's all good now all of a sudden.
Next day I tried again and got the firmware green tick.
I can only assume there might have been a temporary glitch on their server as I haven't done anything different 🤔
It was highly suspicious to get 2 or 3 devices having the same issue at once and I didn't want to chance it giving a customer a drive with potential problems.
Thx folks

Back