Attempting to change passwords for multiple emails accounts in the new Outlook

katz

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I must be really daft on this one... Can't figure out how to change individual passwords in the new outlook email for each account. I assumed the setting would be under "Privacy and data," but it is not.

We've already changed Gmail passwords on Gmail/Google website, now we need to update that password change in Outlook email for 6 different Gmail accounts.

Anyone have any ideas on where they have hidden this setting?

To be perfectly honest, both from what I recall and what I just found here, I do not believe you can.

This is one of the classic, "Why did Microsoft release preview versions so "not ready for primetime?!" situations.

The last time I had to do this, I toggled back to "Outlook Classic" for the Outlook 365 desktop app, and also to its equivalent, going back to the Windows Mail App when trying Outlook for Windows, in order to manage accounts in the meaningful sense of that phrase.

After some very convoluted attempts (lol) the New Outlook actually took notice it had changed and prompted for the new password when I opened the program. Not a smooth operation, but it did finally work. Nothing like breaking something that was previously working just fine...

It's not "New Outlook" noticing as much as Gmail refusing connection and New Outlook doing the logical thing for that circumstance, nagging you to correct the issue.

It's still not the same as being able to access account settings gracefully before being nagged because of an invalid password having been detected (meaning OAUTH has to be gone through again).

Ok, I guess I must be really daft on this one... Can't figure out how to change individual passwords in the new outlook email for each account. I assumed the setting would be under "Privacy and data," but it is not.

We've already changed Gmail passwords on Gmail/Google website, now we need to update that password change in Outlook email for 6 different Gmail accounts.

Anyone have any ideas on where they have hidden this setting?

Just wait until the password prompt comes up in Outlook. It can "take a while"...like I've seen Outlook not prompt for the change for a good 30 minutes later or more. Sometimes quick, sometimes not. Just...wait for the password prompt to show up and type in the new password.

Just wait until the password prompt comes up in Outlook.

Even in "Outlook 365 Classic" it appears that this is what you have to do these days. I have one Exchange Account and one IMAP account in my Outlook 365, and having now dug through all of the account settings it's clear that the days of changing passwords in said settings is now gone. This makes sense, too, as the sorts of verification and processes for setting it up vary slightly based on provider, and all modern email clients are stepping through whatever process it is that the provider dictates when a password change occurs.

For Gmail, because what you do when going through OAUTH is provide account, password, and click on the "allow Microsoft to access" dialog OK button, there's a tendency to think that the password is still kept by Outlook. But it isn't.

Back