Windows 11 Leaked - What we know so far about Microsoft's new OS

The first thing that came to my mind when I started seeing these articles was "I'm so glad we dropped residential support recently so I don't have to deal with all the headaches this will cause"

win11-winver.jpg

Pay up @britechguy LOL.

The first thing that came to my mind when I started seeing these articles was "I'm so glad we dropped residential support recently so I don't have to deal with all the headaches this will cause"
I don't think there will be any headaches. It will auto install just like a Windows 10 build does. Suddenly it will be Windows 11 and 99% of the users will not even notice. It's just Windows 10 with LITERALLY a new paint job(modified GUI elements.)

I don't think there will be any headaches. It will auto install just like a Windows 10 build does. Suddenly it will be Windows 11 and 99% of the users will not even notice. It's just Windows 10 with LITERALLY a new paint job(modified GUI elements.)
I hope your right. Can't wait to see the official press release from Microsoft.

Suddenly it will be Windows 11 and 99% of the users will not even notice. It's just Windows 10 with LITERALLY a new paint job(modified GUI elements.)
Until they see this on first boot.
It is possible to change the position of the Start Menu from the center to the left side of the screen using the Windows 11 taskbar options.

Attachments

• 2021-06-15_14h11_29.png
    2021-06-15_14h11_29.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 40
This seems just a 'money grab', IMO...

MS knows that at least a large handful of people will go and buy the OS.....or, a new computer so equipped...

(If I was at MS, there would be no free upgrades....; make the 'upgrade' about $39-$59 or so, and folks will buy it just of curiosity and with the desire to have 'the newest')

(I mean, with WIndows 11's taskbar icons now centered, having slightly rounded window corners, a few tweaked icons, and a new color themes *AND* desktop background...who wouldn't?!) :)

Except years of market research shows that people only upgrade when they buy a new PC. And they only do that to replace old machines. The amount of users that run out and buy a new Windows is about 1% of the installed base. Microsoft did forced updates for a year for a reason.

Then 10 will end up like 7 and unsupported at end of life.

If 11 debuts, 10 will have become 11. There will be no Windows 10 beyond end of support dates for existing versions.

This thing, whatever it's called, even if it's called Windows 11, is well known to be the next Feature Update to Windows 10. It has been developed as such, tested as such, and I have zero doubt that it will be rolled out via Windows As A Service/Windows Update.

Windows 10 (even if numbers change) really is "the final Windows" until the Windows As A Service delivery paradigm is eliminated. I don't think that there are going to be parallel Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows 11 (if such appears). Windows 8 will sunset in 2023 as it has always been slated to and the sunset date for Windows (insert your number here) will change as time goes by. But, in reality, there will be but a single Windows under active development. That's been the long term goal.

The Start menu looks like crap. Can you no longer pin folders to it? That's a MAJOR step backwards. You've been able to have folders on the Start menu since Windows 95. I don't want to have to open the File Explorer and search for my folders manually, or have to clutter up my desktop with shortcuts (not to mention the huge pain in the a$$ of having to minimize everything). WTF Microsoft?!

Can you no longer pin folders to it?

Why on earth would you think that? The one shown in the article has a "Pinned" section, that happens to be showing apps, but do you really think that a feature that's been around "since dirt" and that gets massive use is just, *poof*, gone?! I sure don't.

@britechguy It seems to me that Microsoft just sees the Start menu as an app launcher. I bet they got rid of the ability to not combine the taskbar buttons too. I have dozens of Chrome windows open at a time and I can't stand having to go through that vertical list when I hover over the single Chrome icon. I want to be able to just find my window at a glance and click on it. It also looks like the Start menu is one fixed size. This is really stupid for people who have large, high resolution monitors. I guess my only hope is that Stardock can work with the new changes Microsoft is making to the taskbar and explorer.exe and bring back a Start menu that's actually functional. I know that we have no way of knowing how old that build is, but taking into account Microsoft's track record of releasing half-baked, inconsistent UI's these past 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me if the final build shipped just like this. What a train wreck...

Back