Windows 11 Leaked - What we know so far about Microsoft's new OS

I always custom to matt black theme.
Tell me more. Is this different to the "Dark" theme that's presently in 10?
Do you use a third party tool?
At the moment I have a hotchpotch of dark themes because Opera is different colours to Windoze which is different to Signal, and many other programs that offer a dark theme.
I'd like it all to be consistent.

It's interesting that they are pushing online account, but the proof will be in the pudding when they finally release it and we try and run OOBE offline.

It's interesting that they are pushing online account, but the proof will be in the pudding when they finally release it and we try and run OOBE offline.

It's no surprise to me, at all, that the Microsoft Account linked Win10 User Account is being pushed by Microsoft. It has been for a long while now.

But I have to wonder if the entry for "Offline Account" on the 7th screen shown in that article is. It seems an awful lot like what's now termed a "Local Account" to me. All the more so since the text on that screen, and the one prior, mentions the Microsoft Account being needed "to sign in and access your apps, services, and OneDrive cloud files across all devices." I think that "and" is pivotal and, if so, is stating exactly what's true now (yes, I know, you can log in to OneDrive, for instance, using a Microsoft Account if you're logged in with a local account, and I doubt that's changing, either - but how many really do that rather than using an MS Account Linked Win10 User Account?)

How are we supposed to do a nuke n' pave if they no longer allow local accounts? It's not like the olden days before 2FA and Microsoft getting all uppity about security, so even if the client remembered their Microsoft account email and password (yeah, right! :rollseyes), you can't just sign into it. I am NOT making a new account for every client and keeping their login information on file, but even if I wanted to, Microsoft would block my IP for creating so many Microsoft accounts.

How are we supposed to do a nuke n' pave if they no longer allow local accounts?

Yet another reason that the chances that "the local account" is dead are either fat, or slim, take your pick. And that's regardless of whether Home or Pro is the edition. I'd imagine there are "other methods" for Educational or Enterprise, but never having touched either, I cannot speak from direct experience.

the chances that "the local account" is dead are either fat, or slim, take your pick
Microsoft doesn't give a crap about technicians. In their view, 99.999% of the time when someone sets up a computer, it's the original owner, and they're right. People fixing their computers is not good for Microsoft's bottom line, nor the bottom line of their OEM partners. If they pull this crap, it looks like I'm going to have to find some hacked torrented copy of Windows that has restored the local account feature and try to remove whatever activator they've put in there to make it illegal. I don't relish the idea of using some torrented copy of Windows, even if I can activate it legitimately, but what choice do I have? I suppose the other option is to use a single Microsoft account for my shop, then create a local account when I log in. The only purpose of this Microsoft account will be to get through the OOBE. I'm really hoping that if Microsoft does remove the ability to create a local account in Windows 11 Home that it's just removed from the OOBE and not from the OS itself. If it's removed from the OS itself then torrent websites, here I come! Unless of course someone comes up with some registry hack or something that I can just apply to the official version from Microsoft.

We'll again just have to agree to disagree.
When has Microsoft ever shown concern for technicians? The only technicians they care about are the ones working for big businesses who deploy the hardware that runs their OS. That's why Microsoft is allowing local accounts for Windows 11 Pro and not Home. It's GOOD for Microsoft if home users stop fixing their computers because it drives new computer sales, which then drives sales of Windows and Office (when people forget their product key/Microsoft account). Why would Microsoft care about us?

Microsoft doesn't give a crap about technicians. In their view, 99.999% of the time when someone sets up a computer, it's the original owner, and they're right. People fixing their computers is not good for Microsoft's bottom line, nor the bottom line of their OEM partners. If they pull this crap, it looks like I'm going to have to find some hacked torrented copy of Windows that has restored the local account feature and try to remove whatever activator they've put in there to make it illegal. I don't relish the idea of using some torrented copy of Windows, even if I can activate it legitimately, but what choice do I have? I suppose the other option is to use a single Microsoft account for my shop, then create a local account when I log in. The only purpose of this Microsoft account will be to get through the OOBE. I'm really hoping that if Microsoft does remove the ability to create a local account in Windows 11 Home that it's just removed from the OOBE and not from the OS itself. If it's removed from the OS itself then torrent websites, here I come! Unless of course someone comes up with some registry hack or something that I can just apply to the official version from Microsoft.
Oh nonsense. Just sell pro dumbass. And go take your lithium pills. Every damn post from you is always a wave of histrionics.

Just sell pro dumbass
So I add an additional $99 upgrade charge to every computer that comes through the door? Home users use Home and they're not going to understand me trying to upsell them on Pro just so I can set up their account correctly. Even if it did work, that $99 per computer that goes into Microsoft's pocket is $99 that doesn't go into mine. This is a major issue.

Yep. The price you have to pay if you want to avoid a Microsoft Account. Just like you pay more for an i7 vs i5. And it's all parts you can markup. Most end users don't even know about home or pro. It's just Windows and they put their trust in you to quote them the correct product for the correct need

Yep. The price you have to pay if you want to avoid a Microsoft Account. Just like you pay more for an i7 vs i5. And it's all parts you can markup. Most end users don't even know about home or pro. It's just Windows and they put their trust in you to quote them the correct product for the correct need
I'm not jacking up the price of a nuke n' pave up an additional $100 just to give it to Microsoft. As a technician, I literally CAN'T set up their computer with 11 Home. There's a limit to how much people are willing to pay to fix their old computer, and I'm usually right up there. If I have to add an additional $100 to the price tag, that will turn more people away.

Like I said, the best I can hope for is that I can set up their computer with a BS Microsoft account created just to get through the OOBE and then I can set up a local account. Maybe I could just crash OOBE instead? I dunno. I've never tried to crash OOBE. Can you even open Task Manager during the OOBE? I remember an old trick where you replace the .exe for accessibility options with the command prompt so that way when you try to access the accessibility options it opens the command prompt instead and you can do all sorts of fun things without the OOBE getting in the way. That was back in the XP days though so I don't know if that would work today.

EDIT: It was actually the Sticky Keys .exe. I just looked it up again and holy crap, it still works in Windows 10!

If I do this then I can simply hit the shift key 5 times during the OOBE and make my own Microsoft account manually.

Every damn post from you is always a wave of histrionics.
If you consider the possibility of Microsoft FORCING a $100 upcharge on basically every ticket I have to be "histrionics" then I don't know what to tell you. This would be enough to tank some businesses. Some people barely make $100 on a ticket.

Amen, brother! [But you need to stop any version of the "Are you off your meds?" schtick. For those of us who have suffered mental illness, or have loved ones who do, that's profoundly insulting and offensive.]
Well fair enough I apologize if you are offended. I take antidepressants, citalopram. Such comments don't bother me. But I admit that I can have a insensitive streak.

Technically, I think you can also make a USB with a OOBE answer file, not sure if account creation is still supported. Last time I used it, it was broken.

I could be wrong, but usually MS does stop one short of being a tyrant. I think if you have no internet, you get the option for local, so you do your 11 installs like I do my 10 installs. I don't hook nothing up untill after OOBE.

I installed the leaked build on a VM, just to check it out. That VM's already long since been deleted. It was "neat". No way I'd ever auth any account of my own on it yet, let alone create or sign into an M$ account.

When I installed the leak build, I was able to create a local offline account just fine. Of course, most everything in the microsoft store wanted you to sign in, and most MADE you. I was able to download and play sudoku just fine without signing into anything. I made a throw away to download some slots game I played for 5 min and quit.

All in all, mostly graphical. Feels like a new coat of paint on windows 21H2.

Some people claim decently better performance on it, as compared to windows 10. I think it's probably a matter of installing a fresh clean OS vs using their 3 year old crudded up "coupon toolbar" ridden setup. Who knows, maybe it is a bit leaner under the hood.

Win 10 21H1 is set to be supported until Oct 2025 I believe. So no one has to change if they don't want to change. I don't see them forcing this as much as they did the upgrade to 10. I see it as an attempt to sell more copies of windows, and create "hype" for a new product to try to push their market share up a little bit.

When it goes to release, I'll update. Why not. Espeically if it's free. No reason not too really. But I certainly wouldn't be caught dead running the leaked build on my daily driver bare metal machine.

It is rather interesting what their doing with the TPM requirements to install though...

Win 10 21H1 is set to be supported until Oct 2025 I believe.

No, 21H1 is on the same 18 month support cycle as all the other feature updates (under Home and Pro - let's not get in to special arrangements available for educational and enterprise).

But Windows 10 is still listed as being supported until October 2025, and you can be certain that there will be at least once per year feature updates to Windows 10 during that time if they don't kill it off entirely with Windows 11. And the way things are looking now, that's very, very, very unlikely to happen if the hardware restrictions currently stated remain in place.

No, 21H1 is on the same 18 month support cycle as all the other feature updates (under Home and Pro - let's not get in to special arrangements available for educational and enterprise).

But Windows 10 is still listed as being supported until October 2025, and you can be certain that there will be at least once per year feature updates to Windows 10 during that time if they don't kill it off entirely with Windows 11. And the way things are looking now, that's very, very, very unlikely to happen if the hardware restrictions currently stated remain in place.
It’s a contradiction that they have yet to address. Wow mixed messages from Microsoft whodathunk?

It’s gonna happen one of three ways.

1. They will publish updates for both OS every 6 months. Running dual product lines. I see that as very unlikely.

2. A future update for Windows 10 will be declared the last update and be a LTS version for everyone until 2025. It will get security updates but nothing else.

3. Windows 11 will replace Windows 10 and anything running 10 will upgrade anyway, completely walking back all the hardware requirements.

I think two is most likely but they are likely to hold hard on the TPM requirement and secure boot but they will walk back the cpu requirements.

Back