[SOLVED] Windows 10 and Quickbooks Pro 2017 Installation Issue

LedHed

Reaction score
Hello all,
It has been awhile since I have posted here because I have been working on another non-technical project that is taking a great deal of my time.

Anyway, yesterday morning, I was on-site at a local business that has been a client of mine for over 3 years. They had just purchased a brand new Dell Optiplex 3000 series desktop with Windows 10 Pro which they wanted me to set up.

During the setup, she ordered the downloadable version of Quickbooks Pro 2017 from Amazon.com. I downloaded the executable and I tried to install it. No joy. So, I found the direct download link on Intuit's website (hoping it would be newer and also hoping it would work.) Still, no joy.

The technical side of the issue is this:
1. Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 8 Gigs of RAM
2. I double-click the executable to start the install.
3. The executable unpacks the installation files into the User\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder.
4. Then nothing. No error message, no beeps, no...anything.
5. After a short period of time, the Windows dialog box pops up asking if this software installed correctly and whether or not I would like to start the compatibility mode troubleshooter. I tried that, still nothing.

I need to point out that I had a similar problem a couple of months ago with Quickbooks Pro 2016 and Windows 10 Home (before 2017 was available.) I solved that problem by doing 2 things.
1. Deleting the temporary installation files that Quickbooks places in the User\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\(I don't remember the name of the folder it created here.)
2. Finding a direct download of the most recent Quickbooks Pro 2016 on Intuit's website (I believe it was R7) and installing that version. This worked like a charm.

Of course, this doesn't help with my current situation. Quickbooks Pro 2017 WAS JUST RELEASED. The direct download from Amazon.com and the one from Intuit APPEAR to be identical (I didn't think about doing a CRC check.) I emailed Quickbooks support using her email address and they said they should have an answer in 24 hours. She called me this morning and told be that they sent her a direct link to use for the download. I told her to click on the link to start the download. She called me after the download was finished (I couldn't be there due to a prior appointment) and I walked her through trying to install it. It is still NOT WORKING. It is doing the same thing it was doing yesterday. I will be returning there tomorrow morning to try again. I am reluctant to contact support by phone because their support is usually not great. If I don't get any usable suggestions here, I will probably call tech support by phone because I don't know what else to try.

I would like to know if any of you have had this issue and, if so, what was the solution?

Of course, if I find a solution, I will post it here.

Thank you in advance,
Andy

Try right click on the setup file, "Run as Administrator" and see if it installs.

Another trick I've used in the past is to create another Administrator account. Install the program then remove the account.

Update!
When I got there, I immediately tried to install Quickbooks by right-clicking and choosing Run as administrator (thanks again, Barcelona). The install got quite a bit further than before but it still failed. It did, however, give me an error code this time (1719).

Apparently the error code had something to do with the Windows Installer. A quick Google search provided info on resetting the installer, which I did.

From the Run dialog box, run each of these commands:
%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister
%windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister
%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver
%windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver

After that, reboot the machine and try the installer again. It should work this time.

I also ran sfc /scannow after the reboot just to be sure.

Hope this helps any of you that are facing this issue. Your mileage may vary.

Andy

Back