QuickBooks 2023 and missing PDF component - any ideas?

britechguy

Reaction score
Another of today's adventures after installing QuickBooks 2023, seemingly without any issue. No messages whatsoever from the installer itself. But when you fire up QuickBooks, this dialog appears:

1684543535024.png

I don't know if it might be seeking a shared DLL file that only exists if something such as Adobe Reader DC is installed (and it isn't, in this case) or if this is something that was supposed to "come with" QuickBooks 2023 that somehow didn't.

A query will be made of their tech support, but I thought I'd ask here in case this is familiar to someone.

I had a problem with QB and pdf's a couple of of years ago. Kept on repeating itself over several months then disappeared. What do you have installed for a PDF printer? One solution I had to use several times was uninstall the MS XPS printer then install a different version.

The last time I looked Quickbooks relied on this thing for PDFs: https://www.amyuni.com/

And since it's rather popular for API integration there are a HORDE of apps on the market that use that same PDF printer... and if they aren't built terribly well they will argue with each other.

I've also seen that PDF printer exit the chat with monthly Windows update rollups, routine Quickbooks updates, and a horde of other things. Intuit is one of the few companies that bothered to put a tool out with a reinstall this feature button to fix it, because historically you'd have to reinstall the entire app to get that one component back. Which is really annoying when that specific component is so relatively fragile.

Anyone here that supports Quickbooks professionally should know about the Desktop Tool Hub, and the Scan button in the Quickbooks Server.

Back