Weird issue on a computer I don't want to Nuke.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Windows 7 Home

Issue: Computer boots to login screen, where there are two users with no password. Upon clicking either user both users disappear as if it is starting the login process but it never actually starts the login. Both users re-appear after roughly 5 seconds and the process repeats over and over.

- User reported issue occurred after Windows Updates
- Hard Drive Checks out OK
- Same issue in Safe Mode
- Last known good configuration yields no change
- Hooked up HD to test machine for scans which came up clean
- CHKDSK no errors
- Disabled all programs from starting, no result
- Attempted system restore to two previous dates, both restores failed (suprise suprise)

I'm not even sure how to google this issue ... uhhh "Windows 7 click user loop??

Any more ideas before I nuke it?

Wow KB3097877 really jacked a lot things up ... I had another client whose outlook kept randomly disappearing and crashing and tracked it down to 3097877 causing it ... uninstalled and problem solved ... thanks guys.

Good news .. I have an HP AIO with this issue ... I was able to boot to safe mode with command prompt and ran this per the link provided by @nlinecomputers and @jmitservices

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\wusa.exe /uninstall /quiet /forcerestart /kb:3097877

Computer did not reboot after, didn't get any message that the command was successful but after running shutdown -r I was able to get the computer to boot.

Back