Am I making a big mistake migrating this client to SP/Teams?

If you really want to mimic a traditional setup you can mount the local OneDrive folder as a drive.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices
Create a new string named Z:
Value: \??\C:\Users\Username\OneDriveFolder

After a reboot they will have a local drive Z: which is pointing to C:\Users\Username\OneDriveFolder
Added bonus any shortcuts they already had to Z:\ will continue working.

It's not something I recommend doing unless forced however it works surprisingly well.

EDIT:
Just adding a caveat to this which I forgot to mention. Explorer shell integration does not work when in the Z:\ drive. Windows treats it as any other folder so you don't get the right-click options for sharing, version history, selective sync etc.

I have done that, although using the old DOS command "SUBST"....in a batch file.
However, I only did it for a legacy report downloading script for a client, for online blackbaud, they needed to pull down reports in a .txt file format to upload into another reporting app. Zero use by others.

I strongly recommend not using a mapped drive letter, the indexing/searching will not function properly.

I look at the "OneDrive" syncing of each Team/Channel file library...as a way to "wean" users away from the old school file explorer method they've used for ~30 years. EVENTUALLY...users start fiddling with working with files withIN the Teams app itself....and start learning that it works..and works well, concurrent editing of files works better, etc. Another year or two down the road....you'll find they're really using the Teams app most of the time.

Adding, the "modern" way to store and find files in cloud storage is using "metadata". And with metadata, gone is the need to do the old school file cabinet approach to storing files..by having folders within folders within folders within folders within.... You can really simplify that folder structure...
Metadata searches are designed for modern cloud storage, not old school mapped drives behind a drive letter. Even doing the "sync" to file explorer takes some advantages away.

So think about the long game...and transitioning clients. Yes..takes patience.

Adding, the "modern" way to store and find files in cloud storage is using "metadata". And with metadata, gone is the need to do the old school file cabinet approach to storing files..by having folders within folders within folders within folders within....

I think this is a harder job than you make it sound. Businesses structured the way they store data the way they did because that was "the way" for so long. So not only do they have to change the way they think about and store data, but they have to deal with mountains of historical data that has been done "the old way".

I have an accountant client that is illustrative. They have about 10 employees, and they have a very regimented way to name and store files - the "old" way, of course, because they have been in business for 40 years. So they have maybe 800 active clients, and their folders look like this:

G:\Client Drive

Within that, Individual folders, "A" through "Z"

Within each letter folder, folders named with a 6-digit client code, for ex ABB001, ACD002, ADHJ003, etc. These names are fixed using an algorithm they have been using since day 1. When they get a new client, the "code" for that client is determined and kept forever.

Within each Client Code directory, there are "Year" folder, representing each year's work. 2021, 2020,. 2019, etc. They keep 4 years in the main directory and archive everything older to "lukewarm" storage. Still onsite and available, just not in their main data store.

Within each "Year" folder, are the files for each year's work - again, the names are regimented, so they are always the same. For ex: DataRequest.doc, Census.xls, ProcessingNotes.doc, draftreport.doc, Reviewernotes.doc, finalreport.doc. There is also a folder named "supporting data" containing everything the client sends them in response to their data request. Most of this stuff is pdfs scanned from their copier directly into the appropriate client folder.

Because of the duplicate names, it's impossible to get rid of the folder structure. For 800 clients, there are 800 "finalreport.doc" files every year. Also, because they've been doing it this way for so long, they are not exactly receptive to change. Further, the owner is in his late 60s, and the heir-apparent son is only about half-transitioned to the big chair. IMO, the old guy is going to have to die before the transition would be complete.

They've got around 6TB of data in the active folders, 5TB in the lukewarm archives. I'm not sure how much they have in the older cold files, but they do get rid of the old stuff in an annual purge project. A client like this won't be a good candidate unless there is a sea change in the way they operate, which I just don't see on the horizon. In my experience, a lot of my SMB client are like this and the thought of even bringing up a potential cloud migration makes me queasy. haha.

You'll always have exceptions of course, such as accountants...which, I have some large ones and their file storage isn't usually too large, their accounting system suite usually has an electronic file cabinet (such as Thom Reuters File Cabinet, or Intuit/LaCert DMS) keeps all the important stuff.

Or lawyers...sorta similar...but they have customized online file storage these days too...law firms I have these days don't store much locally anymore. Unless it's a small firm that does real estate closings...they have oodles of scans to keep and I haven't seen one use an online canned solution.

With metadata...it's more than just the file names, that's just a part of it.
Youtube..."Sharepoint Maven"....has some good videos on it.

I used to deal with quite a few sharepoint migrations and always had great success using spfilezilla.

Watch out for the soft 300,000 file limit. The online SharePoint interface has no such limit, but the sync client does. I've found when approaching or going over this limit the effect is that the sync client uses a high percentage of the CPU even on newer generation PC's and the old PC's really suffer.

The file server is not dead yet. It feels to me like when there a large number of files having both an on premise file server and M365 works well.

The 1TB limit is also a concern, given the cost of additional storage.

@jack-ant Cost? It's 20 CENTS per month per gb. $200 / month / tb.

Yeah in terms of raw storage it's expensive, but it's not just raw storage is it? And I find it's just expensive enough to make companies actually come up with a data lifecycle process that isn't absurd... IE keep forever.

Back