20H2 update broke access to user account

HCHTech

Reaction score
This was my Monday morning wake up call today. Residential customer got H2 over the weekend and did the reboot this morning. When it came up it only listed a local user named "Test", and the "Sign In" button. No ability to choose a user. The original user had a Microsoft account, btw.

Once signed in, I browsed the disk and confirmed the main account's user directory still existed - it did. If I go into settings, there are no other users listed, save the 'Test' user. Unfortunately, this user is not an administrator, so I can't do much. I checked the registry key for displaying all users on the login screen. It was set to 0, so I changed it to 1 and rebooted, but no change.

I tried to roll back H2, but it was not listed as an installed update. Running Winver clearly shows 20H2 as the current version though. I tried to run system restore, but I got the "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?" dialog, with only a "No" button. No Yes button. Ok, weird. I tried clicking where the button should be as well as 'Alt-Y', but no dice. That dialog also says "To continue, enter an admin user name and password", but doesn't provide a way to do so. Next I tried Recover in the Settings screens to 'Return to a previous version of Windows', but got the same dialog box missing the Yes button as before.

Next confirmed that they had a backup of their data, then did a manual search for updates, which identified a .net update and KB4586781, which is an update to H2. I was hopeful, but loading this update and rebooting also did not present the main user to login. A second manual update search identified KB4586853, also an update to H2, but loading that and rebooting has not changed the problem. I note that these two updates now show in the list of previous updates and are available for uninstall, but still no listing for the original update to 20H2.

Browsing the disk, there is a Windows.old folder dated yesterday - so that had to be created by the 20H2 update. Also, any task I try to do that requires administrative access gives me the same "Do you want to allow this app to make changes" dialog missing the "Yes" button. This pretty much limits my options.

So, scrambled permissions and/or scrambled user account. I'm thinking that I'm in Nuke & Pave territory, but wanted to post in case anyone else has run into this symptom and found a clever way out.

Last edited:
Normally I'd strongly suggest a Repair Install be tried first, but right now the bug for in-place upgrades/repair installs on 20H2 has not been pushed out, even though the fix exists.

This is definitely one of the more bizarre results of a Feature Update that I've ever heard described, and if the user has their data backed up and the installers for their third party software readily available or downloadable I'd say an N&P would be the best bet.

By the way, if they're backing up their data (good) this would be the time to educate them about doing full system image backups as well. And particularly just before hitting that Download and install link for a Feature Update. It would have saved a ton of grief.

You should PC-Unlocker that thing and get Admin rights. 30 second ordeal. I'll second what the others said and also add that I have seen some weirdness happen like this when the drive has bad blocks/is failing.. how's the drive check out?

Well - this job ended with a N&P. When I got the machine on the bench (was working on it remotely before), I pulled the drive and put it in one of my Windows bench machines. I could browse the disk, but although I could see the old user directory, I couldn't gain access. Anything I tried produced an 'access denied' message. Fabs did not detect the user. So next, I dismounted it and mounted it on one of the Linux machines. On this machine, that user directory did not show as existing. I could see and browse the 'Test' user directory, but no others were shown.

That was enough for me. I replaced the drive and did a fresh install, then restored their data from the backup. The original SSD tested ok, as far as that goes - it was a 2-yr-old Lenovo OEM SATA Sandisk. I tried their "dashboard" software, but it did not detect the drive. I could see it in gSmartControl, and couldn't see any errors in the logs and its test ran fine. In the end, I did a long-form format on the drive and gave it back to the customer to use however they saw fit (warned them not to put anything important on it).

The replacement drive I put in was a Samsung 970, since the motherboard had the prerequisite slot for an NVMe drive on the motherboard. Windows (20H2) installed without complaint, along with the various drivers.

Thanks for the follow-up. It's always interesting to have "the rest of the story" and the details about what made it come to pass.

Back