Preparing for the worst with Windows 11...how do I use sysprep and restore client data?

sapphirescales

Reaction score
Microsoft claims that they won't allow local accounts in Windows 11 Home, so if I have to do a nuke n' pave, how am I supposed to make sure my client's data is restored to their profile? My thought is I could use sysprep on every machine, put their data in the shared or default profile, and then when they sign in with their Microsoft account it should all be there in their account, correct? The only problem I can think of is that let's say I do that and then they need another nuke n' pave a few years down the road. I can't just @fabs it over because I'll have to deal with both the default profile and the actual user profile, or can I?

And yeah, before anyone says something about getting the login information of every client and just signing in, 2FA is an issue and even if it wasn't, Microsoft isn't going to take too kindly to all these different Microsoft accounts signing in via the same IP address (remember, these are residential Microsoft accounts, not business).

I'm reeeeealy hoping the old ALT+F4 trick will work and will allow us to bypass the Microsoft account BS, or at the very least I can sign in with my generic shop Microsoft account then convert it to a local account afterwards, but knowing Microsoft I won't be surprised if they make such a blunder as to disallow local accounts in Windows 11 Home entirely. Maybe they'll make another tool similar to sysprep where we can sign in with a generic local account, then when it's all ready we can hit a button and the next time the computer turns on the client will be greeted by OOBE and can sign into the same account with their MS account credentials. I don't know. The future is very uncertain now. I'm a Windows Insider so I should be able to play with an official Windows 11 build next week, but that won't tell me anything about setting up a computer from scratch after a nuke n' pave. Do you know if there's any way for me to get an official pre-release version of Windows 11 to play with? I've never done the Action Pack thing but if it includes a copy of Windows 11 I might just pull the trigger.

Don't use the default account. That would be a blunder because anybody who logs on to any account will see all of those files as if they are in their profile. Not secure.

I say you have two choices. Try the install with the computer disconnected from the Internet, and it might work without a local account.

Other than that, I would say option two is to concede and register a Microsoft account and live with it even though you and I both know it sucks and is complete BS. Microsoft apparently wants us all on their big, giant world-wide directory services as far as I can see. I would imagine if you get locked out you phone the Microsoft helpdesk ???

Okay, I am kidding, but seriously it's insane. Maybe we should all register accounts and report problems installing certain software and then ask them to push the software to us automatically from the cloud. I know it is crazy, but I swear it is a giant world-wide Active directory only to an even larger scale than ever thought possible. It's actually quite frightening they want to manage the entire logon process via the cloud to every workstation on planet Earth. If something goes wrong and it is compromised, imagine what hackers will be able to do such as push software to every Windows computer on the Internet. I don't like this model anymore than anybody else here, but I see the writing on the wall.

Its obvious why they are doing this. IMO, They want to be able to target us better by collecting every piece of information they can.
I imagine they look at Apple, Google and Samsung with their data collection models and are envious.
Windows has an enormous market share, so they could potentially make trillions from the world's cattle.

Other than that, I would say option two is to concede and register a Microsoft account and live with it even though you and I both know it sucks and is complete BS.
That's not an option, unfortunately. After I make a few Microsoft accounts on my IP address, Microsoft will start requiring a unique phone number to verify each new account to make sure I'm not some scammer making a bunch of fake accounts. What am I supposed to do, buy a new burner phone for each computer I work on? I'm sure they won't accept Google Voice or other disposable phone numbers. I guess the only other options is to sell every client Pro, but that's an additional $99 per computer (or maybe $149 if I can't qualify them for upgrade pricing).

Whatever. There's GOT TO be a way to bypass this BS. I don't care if it's official or not. Just like I'll be using Stardock's Start Menu replacement for Windows 11 once they come up with it. I can't use my computer if my taskbar is always stuck on the bottom and I can't ungroup different program windows. I'm going to hack/modify the crap out of Windows 11 and if Microsoft pushes hard enough, I might just neuter everything. Microsoft wants total control of your computer. Well f*ck 'em. Microsoft's BS is worse than a virus.

The other thing I can think of is maybe I can use a VM with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home and get clients to sign into it immediately when they drop their computer off. Then I'll clone the VM onto their system if I need to do a nuke n' pave.

Well, if you are doing a nuke and pave, I'm not saying it's pretty, but in theory you could install Windows 10, setup local account, restore data then run upgrade to 11. No idea if MS will allow local accounts or prompt you to switch once you login.

I understand the requirement for new computers or fresh install, but, holding a machine hostage because someone upgrades to 11 and forcing them to upgrade or else you will never see your files again...that just might trigger some lawsuits like they faced when Windows 10 launched. If memory serves, most of those cases Microsoft lost.

Knowing Microsoft, there will be tools provided to big companies that will help them with this. I know companies like Best Buy and Staples typically get special tools. When I was with GeekSquad, we got USB sticks with offline Windows 8.1 updates, so we could update Windows 8 to 8.1 without using the Windows Store. So, most likely MS will work something out, give it to big companies and we wait for it to get leaked.

Just stick with Windows 10 as long as you can.

Will you be able to create a local user account after the fact through the admin panel?

Just stick with Windows 10 as long as you can.
Yeah that's a great idea...hold on to an old operating system (Windows XP/7) for dear life like one of my 80 year old luddite clients. No, even if the new crap is crap, you've got to learn it and you've got to do your best to adapt to it. I absolutely hated Windows Vista/8, but I still learned them and I still supported them. I can't just bury my head in the sand and pretend that Windows 11 doesn't exist. It's here and I've got to find a way to deal with it.

Will you be able to create a local user account after the fact through the admin panel?
Historically Microsoft hasn't changed much under the hood in Windows for DECADES, so I'm hoping they haven't removed this ability. Time will tell though.

I've decided to download the leaked Windows 11 build just to see if I can find a way to bypass the Microsoft account requirement. I know it's not a final build and the final version that ships might be drastically different, but there's no reason not to try and educate myself as much as possible right now. I don't want to be caught with my pants down when Windows 11 finally ships. I got my first Windows 8 machine a week after computers started coming preinstalled with Windows 8. With Windows 10 it was about 3 weeks. I'm not going to have weeks/months to learn everything, especially if there have been a lot of major changes under the hood.

EDIT: For those interested, Microsoft has always offered Windows Insider builds ISOs that you could download via their website. I'm hoping they do the same with Windows 11:

Just to let you know. I am playing with that leaked ISO and it IS possible to set W11 Home up with a local account.
Yes it asks for a network connection but if that network is not connected to the internet, then it allows to create a local account instead.
That should solve that problem right ?

Attachments

• 1624883944373.png
    1624883944373.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 18
@fabs Unfortunately Microsoft insists that an internet connection and Microsoft account are REQUIRED in order to set up Windows. I know that disconnecting from the internet worked on Windows 10, but I think they've patched that in the final build of Windows 11, otherwise why would they say that an internet connection is REQUIRED to set up Windows 11?

Oh, and BTW, only Windows 11 HOME is required to use a Microsoft account. Windows 11 Pro does NOT have this requirement, so if you're testing with Windows 11 Pro that's why you might have the option.

EDIT: Here's the page on their website that talks about requiring an internet connection and Microsoft account to complete setup:

From reviewgeek.com:

While Windows 10 tried to hide the local sign-in option, and you could get around it by disconnecting the internet, that’s just not an option in Windows 11 Home. All the local sign-in options are gone. And if you disconnect the internet, the setup process won’t let you move until you reconnect.
Source:

Last edited:
@sapphirescales I know what they said. The fact is that I could do that without internet connection with a W11 Home. I did not create any other account on it before I could add that local account during initial setup. It just worked.
That being said, on my network, the following address is whitelisted : http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt
Everything else is blocked. I'm now testing an itinial W11 Home setup with a virtual network card connected to an absolutely zero internet network. I'll report how it behaves in this case.

Edit : yes, that's the key : if system can't reach "www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt", then setup will not let you go further and you'll not be able to create any user account, Microsoft or local. If only www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt works on that machine, then it will believe it is connected normally to the internet but it won't be able to start Microsoft Account creation wizard and will automatically ask for a local account creation instead.

Now the trick is the following : how to make this address reachable and nothing else ? I can do it here because of a firewall only granting this address but requiring to be signed on to get the rest of the internet. This does not seem to be doable for repair shops without such a firewall.

Edit 2 : The Alt+F4 trick you mentioned works !!!! (thanks by the way, I didn't know about it !)
So here's how to set up W11 Home without any MS Account (never ever) :
- Install it the usual way on a machine without Internet connection
- When setup asks for an Internet connection, then just hit ALT + F4
- Create local account
- Enjoy !

Last edited:
Microsoft claims that they won't allow local accounts in Windows 11 Home

That is not what's said. They said they won't allow a local account at initial setup. If you don't already have a "generic"/"work" Microsoft Account to use for configuration, then you're going to need one. You can still immediately set up a local account should you so choose.

I encourage all of my clients to use a Microsoft Account linked Win10 (or Win11) user account anyway. There are advantages to doing so.

However, as expected, there are workarounds even to the so-called requirement for an MS Account at initial configuration: https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-with-local-account/

I am actually astounded to see precisely the kind of hand-wringing here that is characteristic of ill-informed end-user groups.

Every reader here knows that whatever Microsoft is saying right now is subject to change, possibly multiple times, before Windows 11 ever hits the street. And the probabilities have always been that changes will be toward making things more in line with what currently exists than the opposite.

The sky is not falling, and will not fall. Windows 11 was originally planned as the fall feature update to Windows 10. It was developed as such, and tested as such in-house and via Windows Insiders before the marketing decision for Windows 11 was cooked up. That, alone, speaks volumes.

It's actually quite frightening they want to manage the entire logon process via the cloud to every workstation on planet Earth.

The problem being, that's not really how it works. Yes, there is coordination with the cloud, but no necessity for internet connectivity in order to log in exists. Encrypted local copies of login credentials are kept just as they always have been.

I don't know why people get so exercised about a Microsoft Account when most have been using a Google Account, Apple Account, online banking accounts at their banks/credit unions, browser sync accounts, and the list goes on and on, for years now. There's nothing about a Microsoft Account, and linking a Windows user account with it, that's different than what most of us have been accustomed to for a long time now. And if I don't have internet connectivity, it doesn't prevent me from logging in to my Windows user account in any way, shape, or form.

There are advantages to doing so.
There are ZERO advantages, unless you like giving Microsoft the ability to track everything you do and you enjoy paying them money for their horrible cloud.

However, as expected, there are workarounds
Any workarounds that exist right now will probably be patched in the final release. Microsoft listed an internet connection and a Microsoft as an actual REQUIREMENT in order to set up Windows 11 Home.

The Alt+F4 trick you mentioned works !!!! (thanks by the way, I didn't know about it !)
LOL it's an old trick that's worked for much of Microsoft's BS over the years. Let's hope they don't patch this in the final release.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing about a Microsoft Account, and linking a Windows user account with it, that's different than what most of us have been accustomed to for a long time now.
Completely false. A computer is a physical device. Requiring you to sign into a cloud account in order to use your computer is as stupid as having to sign into a cloud account in order to open your refrigerator or start your car.

Back