Preparing for the worst with Windows 11...how do I use sysprep and restore client data?

@sapphirescales,

An MS-Account Linked Windows account does NOT REQUIRE ANY CONNECTION TO THE CLOUD IN ORDER TO SIGN IN TO WINDOWS. It will coordinate with the cloud and your MS Account if you have a connection to same. It will allow you to log in if you do not. It is you who just does not get how this works - at all. And having a central repository for all sorts of things, particularly MS software licenses, is a HUGE advantage, given how often these are lost otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
An MS-Account Linked Windows account does NOT REQUIRE ANY CONNECTION TO THE CLOUD IN ORDER TO SIGN IN TO WINDOWS
It doesn't matter how it works on a technical level. What matters is, Microsoft is trying to FORCE users to sign up for a service that 99% of them have absolutely NO use for. What's worse, they encrypt their data without their permission and try to force them to sign up for monthly subscriptions that they don't need. It's a sneaky, underhanded tactic to try and bilk unassuming computer illiterate users out of their money. A computer is NOT a phone. There is NO reason to require signing into the computer itself with a cloud account. If you want to use cloud services, you can do it independently. I for one would NEVER use Onedrive. It's a crappy, expensive service. I use Backblaze and Crashplan on my computers. I don't need or want Office 365. Most people don't need to spend $100+/year when they could spend $150 for 10 years of support for the perpetual license. That's $1,000 in Microsoft's pocket over 10 years vs. $150 if they didn't trick users into signing up for a subscription they didn't need.

If you want to use Microsoft's crappy cloud services, then be my guest. But it's wrong to try and FORCE people into using their crap. It speaks volumes about the quality of Microsoft's services if they have to resort to trickery and brute force in order to get people to use their service.

I will NEVER use a Microsoft account. Microsoft makes precisely TWO pieces of SOFTWARE that I need (Windows and Office) and ZERO services that I do, and it's the same for 99% of home users.

Any workarounds that exist right now will probably be patched in the final release. Microsoft listed an internet connection and a Microsoft as an actual REQUIREMENT in order to set up Windows 11 Home.
See I seriously doubt that. Microsoft has published a bunch of requirements and specs and I think that they, to trained techs, will mean nothing. Right now you can install Windows 10 on specs LOWER than what Microsoft recommends, it will be super slow and run like crap but IT WILL RUN.

I think come launch day we will find that despite Microsoft claims, you will be able to install WIndows 11 on systems without a TPM or only a 1.2 TPM module. You will be able to install it on systems older than 8th gen Intel CPUs. Any PC that will run Windows 10 21H1 today will run Windows 11. Just like, with effort, you will be able to bypass the Microsoft Account.

It's all marketing bullsh~t. Just like when Microsoft says that they no longer offer the Free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 yet I can do it right now and it will work and even pass an audit.

Windows 11 the entire reason it exists is to throw OEMs a bone and TRY to push sales of new PCs by an arbitrary and frankly fake hardware line in the sand.

Calm the f~ck down and don't fall for it.
tenor.png

@nlinecomputers

That cartoon is the succinct, and way more direct, version of what I was trying to get across in Post #17 in this very topic.

It is astounding that there is this amount of unwarranted hysteria and hand-wringing in these quarters. Every blessed reader should know, quite well, the most likely outcome here. And that most likely outcome is a big yawn.

I used to have those fears of "online accounts" being bad. But they're really unfounded.
Can still create local accounts.
There are benefits of online accounts, better control/sync when tied to 365....making things easier for those of us that manage businesses.

I setup my Android phone with my GMail account..lots of good stuff comes from that.
iPhone users sign into those with Apple IDs...lots of good stuff comes from that.

And this just in from someone I know to be "an insider's insider" who has frequent contact with Microsoft in working on the development of the NVDA Screen Reader:

At least we now know that Windows 11 is a marketing name - internally it is Windows NT 10.0 and version shown will be 21H2.

They skipped Windows 9 so technically Windows 11 is really Windows 10. And since this is all a marketing ploy they really should have given this newest version a name rather than a number. I think I'll start calling it Windows Pandemic!

I think come launch day we will find that despite Microsoft claims, you will be able to install WIndows 11 on systems without a TPM or only a 1.2 TPM module. You will be able to install it on systems older than 8th gen Intel CPUs. Any PC that will run Windows 10 21H1 today will run Windows 11. Just like, with effort, you will be able to bypass the Microsoft Account.

It's all marketing bullsh~t. Just like when Microsoft says that they no longer offer the Free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 yet I can do it right now and it will work and even pass an audit.

Windows 11 the entire reason it exists is to throw OEMs a bone and TRY to push sales of new PCs by an arbitrary and frankly fake hardware line in the sand.

Amen to that! I agree with you completely.

Windows 11 the entire reason it exists is to throw OEMs a bone
I don't buy it. OEMs have never had it better with Coronavirus causing a huge boom in PC sales. No, the only reason Windows 11 exists is so that Microsoft can tighten its grip around consumer's throats and try to force them into cloud subscriptions. The focus on their new "store" is proof of this.

@YeOldeStonecat That video is showing the leaked early, EARLY build of Windows 11 which was basically just Windows 10 with a facelift. It even has the old Settings app. Microsoft will probably patch these little workarounds in the final release.

EDIT: Hey guys, I just downloaded the OFFICIAL early dev version of Windows 11 in ISO format (build 22000.51, NOT the leaked version). I'm going to go install it on a test computer (bare metal) and see if any tricks still exist to avoid creating a Microsoft account in Windows 11 Home. If anyone's interested I can point them to the ISO.

Last edited:
I don't buy it. OEMs have never had it better with Coronavirus causing a huge boom in PC sales. No, the only reason Windows 11 exists is so that Microsoft can tighten its grip around consumer's throats and try to force them into cloud subscriptions. The focus on their new "store" is proof of this.

@YeOldeStonecat That video is showing the leaked early, EARLY build of Windows 11 which was basically just Windows 10 with a facelift. It even has the old Settings app. Microsoft will probably patch these little workarounds in the final release.
That is this year. Windows 11 is about next year. Covid has already generated all the emergency PC sales that it is going to. 2022 is going to be a major slide in sales because of a slump caused by the artificial jump in sales from Covid.

Actually, the hardware baseline may be an attempt by Microsoft to actually "thin the herd" as it were, to force OEM's to get in line.

OEM's used to control much more of the recovery process, but since Windows 10, it's changed drastically and removed any OEM customization apart from what Microsoft wants. So OEM's no longer can use thier own recovery environment, it's all based on Microsoft standards.

I have a feeling we will get something similar to how Microsoft used to have "Vista Certified" etc. One certification meant you could use basic features, the other meant you could use all features. With Windows 11, Microsoft is trying to reign in hardware and vendors, forcing a closed system similar to how Apple operates. They can't do it 100%, but they can force the hand of OEM's by creating these hardware baselines. It essentially means that MS seems to want Windows 11 to be the best of the best, and to do that, you deny OEM's the ability to use crap hardware.

Essentially, Microsoft is reducing the power of OEM's. Which is good in a way of that's what they are doing.

I'm not convinced that the $299/$399 cheap computers will disappear, but we'll get more details once new machines with 11 roll out.

Actually, the hardware baseline may be an attempt by Microsoft to actually "thin the herd" as it were, to force OEM's to get in line.

And, in my opinion, long overdue. We're missing a lot of the advantages of new hardware by maintaining full backward compatibility with stuff that has not been produced in decades (plural).

If Windows 11 so happens to be able to work on the odd piece of old hardware that it wasn't designed for (much like Windows 10 has been) then, fine. "Accidental" backward compatibility is bound to exist for certain hardware. But there is a lot of old hardware out there that should have been retired long, long ago. Although many computers could run for decades (and have) that doesn't mean, in the PC market in particular, that they should. We're not talking about designed obsolescence, either.

We're missing a lot of the advantages of new hardware by maintaining full backward compatibility with stuff that has not been produced in decades (plural).
But there is a lot of old hardware out there that should have been retired long, long ago. Although many computers could run for decades (and have) that doesn't mean, in the PC market in particular, that they should.
Not everyone is a Microsoft fanboy who wants Microsoft to have all their personal information just to be able to use their computer, and most people want to maximize the value of their hardware investment, particularly when there's absolutely nothing wrong with that hardware. Not everything has to support face unlock or whatever useless feature Microsoft wants to implement. 3rd gen i3/i5/i7 hardware is still perfectly fine, and I still fix even 1st and 2nd gen stuff for some clients if their needs are basic and it doesn't cost too much to fix. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using older hardware. Even Apple, as greedy as they are, supports their hardware for 5+ years.

I agree that Core2Duo era stuff should probably be retired by now, but if it's still working then there's no need to throw it away. Not everyone is rich and there's a whole world out there. There are probably literally millions of Core2Duo systems still running today so it's worth it for Microsoft to continue support for them. Though most Core2Duo systems are going to die with Windows 10 seeing as Windows 11 doesn't support 32bit hardware. But heck, that's 5 years from now. By then even the newest Core2Duo system will be 15 years old.

Trying to maintain "perpetual backward compatibility" does, unquestionably, inhibit the maximum exploitation (sometimes even the minimum exploitation) of newer technologies that would break it.

It's just plain willfully stupid to assert otherwise. Oh . . .

And, in my opinion, long overdue. We're missing a lot of the advantages of new hardware by maintaining full backward compatibility with stuff that has not been produced in decades (plural).

If Windows 11 so happens to be able to work on the odd piece of old hardware that it wasn't designed for (much like Windows 10 has been) then, fine. "Accidental" backward compatibility is bound to exist for certain hardware. But there is a lot of old hardware out there that should have been retired long, long ago. Although many computers could run for decades (and have) that doesn't mean, in the PC market in particular, that they should. We're not talking about designed obsolescence,
Please explain in your verbose manner WHY all computers need to be replaced because of older technology. I would guess that 75% of our customers (and most others customers) have computers totally capable of running the software that they need and what they need it to do.

Let me ask you - do you go out and buy a new dishwasher because the new ones have different control boards? Do you buy a new chain saw because they came out with one with 5 more CCs?

Do most of the users using Office really need all of the updates from each new release? I would say no. Is it really necessary to have 16GB of RAM and the latest, greatest Intel processor to do word processing, accounting, etc?

Newer isn't always the bestest!!!

MY son has a new Camaro that has the biggest engine he could get. Guess what - I can get as many speeding tickets with my old Volvo as he can with his 3,000 HP engine.

It's all in the marketing - make the consumer think their software and hardware is obsolete and they will be wanting new. Sorry - I have a serious problem with that. What more did Windows 10 do that Windows 7 or even XP didn't do?

WHY all computers need to be replaced because of older technology.

Never said that.

Windows 10 is still in-support, and will be until 2025, if that doesn't end up getting extended.

What I did say, and stick by, is that you cannot and should not expect perpetual backward compatibility from an operating system if you want said operating system to exploit "the latest developments."

It's not like a backward compatibility breaking release would happen every six months, either.

I'd appreciate you, and others, not putting words into my mouth, and reading what I wrote, not what you wanted me to have written.

What more did Windows 10 do that Windows 7 or even XP didn't do?

If you are serious in asking that question, there's no way I could satisfactorily answer it for you. Windows 7 did lots that Windows XP did not, and the same is true of Windows 10 compared to Windows 7.

Take the developments in Narrator, as but one huge example. And the list goes on and on (even for tons of features I don't use, because it's not all about me, me, me and what I want and use - an OS is meant to satisfy the needs of many demographics all at once).

Whelp, despite all the "doom and gloom".....I went ahead and flipped my main PC at my office to the Insider group.....rebooted, checked for updates, downloaded two or so, rebooted...checked..and lo and behold, there was Win11. Went ahead and did it!

And old HP Elite 8300.
Crunched away for roughly an hour ...I just came back, she was done, logged in, rebooted one more time, logged in.
All my stuff running fine.
Domain joined rig...local active directory, and 365 Work account...so it's hybrid joined.

Only wee issue so far, my Bitdefender antivirus is squawking about unsupported OS. No biggie, I'll yank it and left Defender run.

All my MS Office stuff running fine, Teams, webcam, printer, Quickbooks Premier 2021, quad monitors.

Time to explore. So far, the way multiple desktops has changed looks cool. I'll start fiddling with themes more. I had done some fiddling with my Win10 theme and had really transparent windows, think that's gone...even though I see a transparent slide, it's not nearly as much as I had.

Back