Ubuntu Server PXE Boot Guide

Which would you like to see added?

• Total voters
Back in business finally, long two days of fixing my own computers. I should have the broken scripts patched very soon.

If you have any specific errors the scripts are giving you, or problems. Please post here or send me a PM.

I spent today testing ad retesting my scripts. Found some bugs and I fixed them!

Fixed Acronis Menu Entry
Fixed GParted Menu Entry
Fixed PartedMagic not unzipping
Fixed PING not finding the correct Network Share
Fixed PC Doctor Entries not showing up on the Diag Menu
Fixed TechUSB install process
Fixed Menu Labels for certain Plugins.

Everything else seemed to be installing, booting, and running properly.

To update a current install please do the following commands
cd /opt
sudo rm -R pd*
sudo wget http://www.pxe-dust.com/downloads/installer/pdinstaller.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvzf pdinstaller.tar.gz
cd pdinstaller
bash pxedust.sh

Once at the menu reinstall PXE-Dust Network Boot Tool
Reboot

Then you will be updated!! Install plugins as normal after the reboot.

Now that the existing plugins and tools seem to be running smoothly, I will start adding OS Installers.

Also started on the website. www.pxe-dust.com added Donations button under the About page. Big Thanks to Cooltech for heaps of help with it!

Finally got the system working, (just cloning the drive) would it be possible to somehow add custom iso which are not listed under the install guide. Sorry if I've missed obvious.

Paul

Finally got the system working, (just cloning the drive) would it be possible to somehow add custom iso which are not listed under the install guide. Sorry if I've missed obvious.

Paul

Adding a custom iso isn't too hard. Create a folder under /tftpboot/pxedust/plugins call it something pertaining to the ISO, and in that folder create a programnamemain.menu file for the menu. Then under the /tftpboot/pxedust/menu folder edit the correct menu and append the .menu file you created.

May I ask what kind of ISO or program you are adding? I may add it to the I staller. Mind you this is a work in progress, and there will me more added in the future.

Got PXE-Dust running on a Debian machine, finally. That was (almost) too simple! :D

Now I just have to sweet-talk/smack my network guy into adding the machine's IP and pxelinux.0 to our DHCP server.

I'm *thinking* of putting dd-wrt onto my home router, just so I can give it a try on my home network....

Thanks again for this, smashedbotatos!

May I ask what kind of ISO or program you are adding? I may add it to the I staller. Mind you this is a work in progress, and there will me more added in the future.

The things I was looking adding was

macrium reflect
acronis disk director
my ghost iso
EDR images
OPhcrack
Konboot

just a few I use on a weekly basic so I don't need to keep buring CD's

Paul

hm

I downloaded the vhd and set it up in Hyper-V.
When I try to run pxedust.sh I get the following errors:

pxedust.sh: 22: pxedust.sh: function: not found
-ne .
pxedust.sh: 27: pxedust.sh: counter++: not found
-ne .
-ne .

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: nevermind, i was using sh instead of bash to run the script.

Last edited:
Uhm, please pardon my dumbness.

I've had two issues:

1. The tutorial in the OP is a 404 for me, so I grabbed it from the main site. It is only chapters 1-3.

2. Upon installing FOG, my install hung for ~20 minutes after the "notify" step, so I rebooted. I am able to log into it from another machine on the network, but I haven't gotten any further than that. Really hoping I can add isos somehow.

I am installing via the VM method.

Last edited:
Uhm, please pardon my dumbness.

I've had two issues:

1. The tutorial in the OP is a 404 for me, so I grabbed it from the main site. It is only chapters 1-3.

2. Upon installing FOG, my install hung for ~20 minutes after the "notify" step, so I rebooted. I am able to log into it from another machine on the network, but I haven't gotten any further than that. Really hoping I can add isos somehow.

I am installing via the VM method.

I may have screwed up the link in the OP

There is only three chapters so far. :) FOG takes a while when it is configuring packages. Everything should work.

If you grab the other .doc file rough guide for installing windows installers. That will help you get setup for doing windows deployments via Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012. :) Any question I will answer them and walk you through the process.

Actually, and IDK if this is correct, but I got everything working a treat with FOG.

I realize that the intention of the pxe environment isnt' to load ISO's, but I need it to load ISO's, so I made that work. Hiren/KAV/BitDefender/HDD Regen/TRK/and more, all running a treat.

Thanks so much!

When I start the server,it tells me it needs to update, but I can't seem to readily locate the update syntax.

This forum post was a lifesaver.

Actually, and IDK if this is correct, but I got everything working a treat with FOG.

I realize that the intention of the pxe environment isnt' to load ISO's, but I need it to load ISO's, so I made that work. Hiren/KAV/BitDefender/HDD Regen/TRK/and more, all running a treat.

Thanks so much!

When I start the server,it tells me it needs to update, but I can't seem to readily locate the update syntax.

This forum post was a lifesaver.

KAV won't work unfortunately. Has to do with the version of Linux they used for the live disk.

Soon there will be a menu option for custom ISO's and a menu file you can customize to boot said iso images.

To do update to the server software.
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade

KAV won't work unfortunately. Has to do with the version of Linux they used for the live disk.

Soon there will be a menu option for custom ISO's and a menu file you can customize to boot said iso images.

To do update to the server software.
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade

It will boot via SARDU. Does that give you any hints? I'm linux clueless...

Back