Ubuntu Server PXE Boot Guide

Which would you like to see added?

• Total voters
It will boot via SARDU. Does that give you any hints? I'm linux clueless...

I can look at it and see if it will help. Thank you for the suggestion.

KAV is built on a linux kernel that doesn't support NFS, so until they change that it may be impossible. :mad:

Adding a custom iso isn't too hard. Create a folder under /tftpboot/pxedust/plugins call it something pertaining to the ISO, and in that folder create a programnamemain.menu file for the menu. Then under the /tftpboot/pxedust/menu folder edit the correct menu and append the .menu file you created.

May I ask what kind of ISO or program you are adding? I may add it to the I staller. Mind you this is a work in progress, and there will me more added in the future.

I'm trying to get Ophcrack to work via PXE but it can't find the tables.
I followed your instructions here and I get as far as loading the Linux OS but it pops up "No tables found".
I made the folder with the menu file etc. I tried using a Live CD iso with the XP tables and Vista tables but it'll load the iso fine, but still show no tables found. I tried extracting the tables to the ophcrack folder on the PXE server, but no dice. It seems to be looking for the tables on the client machine, instead of the server. How can I get this to work?

I'm trying to get Ophcrack to work via PXE but it can't find the tables.
I followed your instructions here and I get as far as loading the Linux OS but it pops up "No tables found".
I made the folder with the menu file etc. I tried using a Live CD iso with the XP tables and Vista tables but it'll load the iso fine, but still show no tables found. I tried extracting the tables to the ophcrack folder on the PXE server, but no dice. It seems to be looking for the tables on the client machine, instead of the server. How can I get this to work?

Working on a solution of Ophcrack. :)

Great thread, I'm interested in setting something like this up. I went to download the PXE Boot Server Guide, however I get a 404 error. Could you please re-upload it or fix the link?

Thank-you!

Hopefully I will be doing an update soon. I hate to leave all of you hanging for so long, but I had been sick. Then I lost a close friend, and had been kind of put off of updating.

Hopefully, with in the next week or so I will have an update for you!

I'm very sorry about your loss, and also I hope you're feeling better. I really appreciate the work you've been putting into this free project, but sometimes life has more important things going on.

That said, I've been meaning to make some time look at the guts of PXE-Dust and maybe offer some help. I'm pretty handy with Linux; is there anything in particular I could do to help?

Also, my wife thinks the logo is hilarious (in a good way!). :D

Take your time. It's better that you take care of and show compassion toward yourself than to burn out. And thanks for inspiring me to get to know PXE inside out! I'm actually expanding my network right now, just to take advantage of all its capabilities. Half a dozen ports just ain't cuttin' it anymore. :D

I'm very sorry about your loss, and also I hope you're feeling better. I really appreciate the work you've been putting into this free project, but sometimes life has more important things going on.

That said, I've been meaning to make some time look at the guts of PXE-Dust and maybe offer some help. I'm pretty handy with Linux; is there anything in particular I could do to help?

Also, my wife thinks the logo is hilarious (in a good way!). :D

This would be great. I can use all the help i can get. If you find a program I have left out. It would be neat if you could add a script to install it!

On another note. My hosting account needs to be paid, and I am looking to take donations towards it. This project will ALWAYS be free, and I will always accept approved community additions/addons. I need help with keeping the hosting up, so if you have enjoyed this project. Please help to keep it running with a donation. Anyone who donates will have their name added under the information page in the program with a HUGE thank you from me!

So go to http://www.pxe-dust.com/ and you will find the Donate button on the right side. I would be eternally grateful, and others will be to.

I was curious whether this was the place to ask if I am having trouble getting this running? I have used your vbox image an have it running on my network. The computer boots to the PXEDust menu but fails to boot Acronis. Acronis is the only thing I have tried so far, but when I try to boot it gives me an error.

Code:
Loading pxelinux.cfg/roms/memdisk..
Could not find ramdisk image: pxedust/plugins/acronistih/acronistih14.iso
boot: _

I have checked that acronistih14.iso exists and it is there, it was copied there during the installation procedure. I have set permissions of /tftpboot to 777 using "sudo chmod 777 -R /tftpboot". I am not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited:
I was curious whether this was the place to ask if I am having trouble getting this running? I have used your vbox image an have it running on my network. The computer boots to the PXEDust menu but fails to boot Acronis. Acronis is the only thing I have tried so far, but when I try to boot it gives me an error.

Code:
Loading pxelinux.cfg/roms/memdisk..
Could not find ramdisk image: pxedust/plugins/acronistih/acronistih14.iso
boot: _

I have checked that acronistih14.iso exists and it is there, it was copied there during the installation procedure. I have set permissions of /tftpboot to 777 using "sudo chmod 777 -R /tftpboot". I am not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any help you can give me!

When I was trying this, I noticed the iso is misspelled. You have to rename it to "aronistih14.iso", without the 'c', for it to work.

Just bringing this back. I'm looking at setting up this on a new computer I'm getting. Has anyone following this got it up and working?

I wrote a reply without reading the actual thread saying you could do this using FOG, then realised that's what the OP is using.
I've used Fog for booting ISOs/software via PXE for a number of years and I've had Ubuntu Live, Parted Magic, Clonezilla, Acronis and more all booting via PXE.

http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/inde...Editing_.2F_Adding_3rd_party_software_support

I'm no expert but I've got a reasonable amount of experience with Fog if anyone is having any issues.

The original guide doesn't seem to be there any longer but for downloading ISOs to the Fog server in the past I've not used Winscp etc. I've found it much easier to use a wget from the terminal (wget http://somewebsite.com/some.iso) or set-up a samba share on the Linux box to allow folder access via Windows. I normally edit the smb.conf by hand but there's a web based config tool which is much easier if you don't regularly use Linux http://askubuntu.com/questions/196272/how-to-install-and-configure-swat-in-ubuntu-server-12-04

Its a brilliant resource once working and FOG itself is an excellent tool, although more suited for large scale desktop deployment is does have some nice features built in such as Memtest/Drive wiping etc.

I've even managed to get it running on a Raspberry Pi, although personally I'd just use a virtual machine even though it does work reasonably well on the Pi.

http://www.fogproject.org/forum/threads/fog-on-raspberry-pi.4068/#post-11088

I wrote a reply without reading the actual thread saying you could do this using FOG, then realised that's what the OP is using.
I've used Fog for booting ISOs/software via PXE for a number of years and I've had Ubuntu Live, Parted Magic, Clonezilla, Acronis and more all booting via PXE.

http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/inde...Editing_.2F_Adding_3rd_party_software_support

I'm no expert but I've got a reasonable amount of experience with Fog if anyone is having any issues.

The original guide doesn't seem to be there any longer but for downloading ISOs to the Fog server in the past I've not used Winscp etc. I've found it much easier to use a wget from the terminal (wget http://somewebsite.com/some.iso) or set-up a samba share on the Linux box to allow folder access via Windows. I normally edit the smb.conf by hand but there's a web based config tool which is much easier if you don't regularly use Linux http://askubuntu.com/questions/196272/how-to-install-and-configure-swat-in-ubuntu-server-12-04

Its a brilliant resource once working and FOG itself is an excellent tool, although more suited for large scale desktop deployment is does have some nice features built in such as Memtest/Drive wiping etc.

I've even managed to get it running on a Raspberry Pi, although personally I'd just use a virtual machine even though it does work reasonably well on the Pi.

http://www.fogproject.org/forum/threads/fog-on-raspberry-pi.4068/#post-11088

Thanks. I was looking at the Fog project yesterday and got as far as installing Ubuntu and Fog on an computer I had here just to get the feel of it. I'm waiting for my dedicated HP Microserver to arrive to do the real setup.

I've had it running on a dedicated server with 15k SAS drives in my last place, got it running on a standard (brand new) HP desktop in my current place and the performance difference is negligible, I've found the biggest performance difference is going from 100Mb to 1000Mb ethernet.
I've not had it directly running on a Microserver, but my home Microserver runs Ubuntu server so it'll work fine. I did have it set-up on a Hyper-V VM on a Microserver and it worked fine.

I've had it running on a dedicated server with 15k SAS drives in my last place, got it running on a standard (brand new) HP desktop in my current place and the performance difference is negligible, I've found the biggest performance difference is going from 100Mb to 1000Mb ethernet.
I've not had it directly running on a Microserver, but my home Microserver runs Ubuntu server so it'll work fine. I did have it set-up on a Hyper-V VM on a Microserver and it worked fine.

Do you have running on a separate network from your work network?

Back