Ubuntu Server PXE Boot Guide

Which would you like to see added?

• Total voters
In my last place in the main HQ was all one large network (set-up that way when I joined) and I set the server up on the same network, it was mainly used for desktop deployment. It was handy as I could image/re-image a machine anywhere in the building, I never tried to go across our site to site links as they were too slow.

In my new place I've got in on the servers VLAN but getting it across another VLAN is as simple as adding the options to the DHCP scope and obviously ensuring the there's inter VLAN routing.

I had considered setting up a portable FOG server on a laptop for imaging in some of our remote sites but never got around to it.

FOG does support multicast for bulk deployment, it works very well but it can saturate some networks, I've used it recently but all the PC's were connected into the same switch as the server just to ensure it didn't cause any issues.

edit:
I've used FOGs built-in DHCP on VMs in the past and it works fine. On corporate networks, I've always used Windows Server DHCP and added the appropriate options.

I've had it running on a dedicated server with 15k SAS drives in my last place, got it running on a standard (brand new) HP desktop in my current place and the performance difference is negligible, I've found the biggest performance difference is going from 100Mb to 1000Mb ethernet.
I've not had it directly running on a Microserver, but my home Microserver runs Ubuntu server so it'll work fine. I did have it set-up on a Hyper-V VM on a Microserver and it worked fine.

It's surprising how light the hardware requirements can be for this setup. I'm currently running FOG/Ubuntu Server on an old Optiiplex GX520 with a CeleronD and 3GB in the shop without issue. I don't use it so much for deployment, but I do boot almost all of my diagnostic tools via PXE (Parted Magic, WinPE, manufacturer's drive tools, memtest86+, etc..), as well as use it for samba file storage (back-ups, customer images, WSUS offline, etc). Gigabit LAN does indeed make a big difference,as you mentioned.

I am still alive :) The project is still alive, but I have a lot of retooling to do. I just don't have much time to get to it.

A lot of the download links in the script are no longer working. The guide has a few typos, but trust me I have not forgotten about this at all.

I was thinking of possibly offering to install this for folks over SSH for a small fee. Still trying to work out the details in my head on that though.

:D
Best of luck, and I will answer any private messages I get, but for some reason I no longer receive emails when people post on this thread. ANY questions of help at all please send me a PM or ask here I will do my best to get back to you.

Hey guys, I tried getting in contact with the OP with no luck and unfortunately the link for the guide is dead and his site is down. Can anyone send me their guide, preferably one of the new up to date guides?

Thanks

Thank you very much. Do you know how up to date this is? It looks like it covers the first 5 chapters and then does a cliff hanger on chapter 6.

If memory serves, the OP never completed the guide before he changed directions and started working to automate the process by scripting everything. Honestly, the way I did it was by using the excellent documentation from the FOG Project Wiki to get FOG setup and then used the OP's guide to fill in the blanks with some of the iso's I was having trouble getting to boot. The FOG forums are great as well: http://fogproject.org/forum/

What ubuntu edition do you use?
I heard FOG does not like 12.04 LTS...?

I'm not in the shop right now, but I'm almost certain I used 12.04 LTS and FOG .32. I don't recall any unusual difficulty. Other distros that have been tested with FOG include: Fedora, Debian, and CentOS....probably others.

I am still here lurking on an off. I try to check at least once a month, but have not been here since July.

The automation script I was creating turned out to be a terrible idea. The locations of the downloads kept changing, and I kept having to edit A LOT of code to keep it up to date.

I started to create an offline website that I was going to eventually upload that had more to the guide than before and was easy to navigate. I got side tracked with a few life things since then though. I am hoping to go this route in the future.

The website is down, and so is my email. I kept it up as long as I could, but had to cancel hosting a few months back. I am tight on funds, but I still see a future.

The VM link is still active, and will be. I will see if I can add a link to the guide as it stands also.

One last thing, UEFI is making this a little bit more of a pain to use. Having to turn off safe boot before booting from the network stinks, but so far no work around.

hi

Thanks Silver!

There must be a way to make bootable USB stick that would transfer booting to from the network... so that way we avoid UEFI..:confused:

Thanks Silver!

There must be a way to make bootable USB stick that would transfer booting to from the network... so that way we avoid UEFI..:confused:

If your booting a UEFI machine, you must disable UEFI Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot support in the Startup Options of the computer. Then you should be able to use PXE as long as the NIC supports it. If the NIC does not support it, boot from a gPXE CD. After you are finished with whatever you are doing, be sure to re-enable UEFI Secure Boot.

As you all know I have been inactive in developing PXE-Dust. Well that is only partially true. I started from scratch, and like the way it is turning out. Over the winter break, I had been stuck inside due to terrible weather and for the past few weeks have been rebuilding PXE-Dust. It is very much the same program, same menu, same splash and menu images. I have decided that the plugins will have to be manually installed by following my guide. Writing the script to install all the plugins was very tedious, and over a short period of time download links changed. That caused a tremendous amount of editing. So now, My guide and script will be redone.

The script will be a simple base installer script that will install the services needed for PXE-Dust and the custom /tftpboot/ folder. It will include a few base bootable programs such as memtest.

The guide will include instructions on how to use the script to install. (The quick and easy way) It will also include an instruction on how to manually install. (For those who want to pick and choose options)

The Virtual Machine (.vhd format) will be updated to Ubuntu Server 13.10, and include the base install. The guide for this will not change significantly, but will be updated to reflect the changes made to the script, and manual installation.

I have a feeling that using a manual install approach I will be able to roll out new plugins and guide information rather quickly.

The website www.pxe-dust.com will NOT be going back up. I will use dropbox links for downloads so they will not go anywhere in the future. I was no longer able to afford hosting fees and with dropbox that wont be an issue.

The first post in this thread will change soon to include the new links for the guide and the program/script. The Virtual Machine will be a little longer. I want to have the script tested, and maybe some plugins added before I add that.

Thank you all for your support! Now PLEASE help me test this. Install any Ubuntu Server 12.04 to 13.10 in a virtual machine and give it a shot. I want to see how smoothly it goes and I NEED feedback for improvements.

Questions? Inbox me or E-MAIL carian94@gmail.com

Update first post to reflect new changes. Added link to download the new guide which is in .pdf format. You need a .pdf reader to view it, but it can also be viewed on Tablets. Which I think might be helpful to some of you.

Please give it a try. You can follow the instructions and install to a VM or to a bare metal box. Give it a go and test the MEMTEST plugin. I need feedback. :)

I finally got around to trying the new PXE-dust.
I had it set up already the old way, but I decided to go clean. I wiped the drives and reinstalled Ubuntu Server 13.10. Followed your guide with the automated method and all went well until the DHCP stuff came around. It took some trial and error and a bit of googling to get the dhcpd.conf file correct. It also helped that I had the previous experience with the old PXE-dust.
Running Memtest 86+ now and seems to be OK.
I'll mention two points now:
1. How about using the new version of memtest? version 5, I believe.
2. Can you change the text menu colors? They're hard to read when selected.
So far, so good. Keep it coming!
Thanks.

Hi, im cannot access to this tread, im got this error:

Euphoria, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You MUST post an introduction in the introductions forum. The rest of the forums will become visible within 5 minutes after your introduction is posted
You need a minimum of 5 posts and have been a member for 5 days to post in certain Technibble forums such as the "Buy, Sell & Trade" forum, any of the Technical discussion forums and higher end discussions like Managed services etc.. We do this to stop non-technicians only joining for tech support (which we dont offer)
Your user account may need to be activated manually before you can post. You will receive an email when/if your account is activated.

im got all what the message say.

Any help are welcome :)

Back