[TIP] ★ Items to Add to Your PC Tech Toolkit ★

I take USB with all my toolkits on it, along with screwdriver kit and PSU tester,multimeter, laptop,ethernet cables and ethernet analyzer. If something is really needed I will work on system in workshop, thats why I dont take a soldering Iron to jobs. A lot of that equipment is op post I see unnecessary, each to their own though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTP
I would add a USB 2.0 Y-cable.
This has two uses.
1) By connecting both ends of the Y to a 2 USB ports, you get twice the power (useful when connecting USB HDDs to some notebooks which don't provide enough power).
2) When connected to a USB 3.0 port, a USB 2.0 cable makes the BIOS use USB 2.0 protocols instead of USB 3.0. Useful for when some USB 3.0 drivers are missing from whatever you are booting from the USB drive (although the driver for the controller is still needed) and also, useful to 'slow down' the data speed - some USB 3.0 ports are badly designed - if you connect a USB 3.0 drive+cable they won't boot, but will if you connect it via a USB 2.0 cable - e.g. Acer R11 R3-131T has very 'flaky' USB 3.0 ports.

P.S. A IODD 2531 (or Zalman) with HDD/SDD is also useful for USB booting and carrying portable apps, + backup disk + E2B boot disk.

Back