Ubuntu Server PXE Boot Guide

Which would you like to see added?

• Total voters
Ran script on a fresh Ubuntu 12.10 64bit VM. So far I have only installed fog services, but it went smooth. Booted a spare laptop from the network, and its currently running memtest86+. :)

I'll continue to install and test other modules throughout the day as time allows. But, based on what I've experienced so far, I don't anticipate any huge problems.

Well done!

OK, hit a few bumps. However, some of these may be things you haven't implemented or adjusted yet.

- Seems that after the initial ERPXE install, a reboot (or perhaps just a service restart) is needed to display the erpxe menu. Otherwise, all I got was the stock FOG menu

- Fog, Pmagic, Gparted, install and work as expected :)

- HDFT and FreeDOS both fail because they can't resolve the download url

- Dell Diagnostics show in menu, but when selected fails to load because it cant find delldiag.img. I have verified that the image is indeed present in er/plugins/delldiag/delldiag.img. Possibly just a typo somewhere?

- Clonezilla downloads fine, but fails to complete the install. Not sure why, the error messages scroll by too fast. I didn't notice any logging function in the script, but this might be helpful in tracking down some of these things.

Let me know if I can help. This is going to be a great tool when finished!

Great work

Calling ALL TESTERS for my new script.

I need a few people to test, and scour my new installer script. Tell me how it is working....what I can improve.

Later today i will be uploading a new VM image for my NEW SCRIPT. This image will be plug and play, and will PXE boot as soon as you point your DHCP server to it.

I desperately NEED feedback on how this script is coming along, and what I can do to improve it. Folder structure, install messages, colors, and ease of use for a novice.

With your advice I can go back and "rework" what I have to make it more suitable to the over all need of the community.

On another note I have gotten TechUSB to boot over the network.

Monsieur Smashedbotatos,

This looks awesome. Very excited to hear that you have gotten TechUSB to boot as well. It would be great to talk to you more about what you're doing and see how we can help you out!

Max Mero
Co-Founder
RepairTech, Inc.
max@repairtechsolutions.com

- HDFT and FreeDOS both fail because they can't resolve the download url

Seems that the url in the install scripts are good. However, wget fails with the "unable to resolve host address" messages.

- Dell Diagnostics show in menu, but when selected fails to load because it cant find delldiag.img. I have verified that the image is indeed present in er/plugins/delldiag/delldiag.img. Possibly just a typo somewhere?

Turns out the delldiag.img file in er/plugins/delldiag/ is 0 bytes

Seems that the url in the install scripts are good. However, wget fails with the "unable to resolve host address" messages.

Turns out the delldiag.img file in er/plugins/delldiag/ is 0 bytes

Ah ok! I think I know what is happening. I will look in to those soon.

I haven't really finished the diagnostic tools installer scripts as of yet. Dell Diag I did start, Free DOS I also did, HDFT haven't touched that one yet though.

I will get to Clonezilla first so I at least know that the entire Cloning and Deployment Menu is working.

EDIT:
Dell Diag Tool may be an issue with permissions.
Downloads are resolving for me. I may have to switch them if they continue to keep unresolving.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance or if this has already been covered, but does this support UEFI bios booting?

As far as I know UEFI will not work over a NIC. I might be wrong, but personally have never tinkered with it.

I do know that the special UEFI on Mac computers some how will allow network boot.

Forgive my ignorance or if this has already been covered, but does this support UEFI bios booting?

As long as the the motherboard has the UEFI menu and a ROM chip then it will support pxe network booting. But you would have to enable it in the UEFI BIOS.(i.e Newer Asus and Gigabyte motherboards have the UEFI options of enabling the pxe oprom which in turns enables pxe booting in the UEFI BIOS menu.) I think some newer DELL'S and HP you have to enable it also, as long as the BIOS is not locked.

Some info on UEFI
http://www.uefi.org/about/

edit: If my understanding is correct it would be if the hardware would support the pxe network booting software not the other way around.

Last edited:
Slowly creating new scripts for the installer, and moving away from ERPXE to my own menu, folder, and PXE module system called PXEDust. Also working on a good solution for booting WinPE 3.0! trying to get it to boot faster, and still be able to be somewhat custom. So far MEMDISK seems to be the best solution.

Also working on a solution that will boot a Win 7 installer straight from the menu much like WDS........

New Logo
I like the logo, but if anyone would like to improve. Please do, if I like it I will use it, and credit you!
pxelogo.jpg

New Menu Screen Shot
I may have went a little overboard here, but again I am not very good at graphics. If anyone would like to improve. Please do, if I like it I will use it, and credit you!
pxess.png

Last edited:
I've got the newest script running perfectly except for 1 thing everything freezes once it loads, ie memtest gets to it's screen then nothing. fog starts but errors.

I've got the newest script running perfectly except for 1 thing everything freezes once it loads, ie memtest gets to it's screen then nothing. fog starts but errors.

Which errors from FOG or is it too fast to tell?

I have updated a little, but not going to be uploading the newest version just yet. Working on setting up a website for hosting my files instead of dropbox. Dropbox has a lot of redirects, and it slows the process of installing the main PXE function.

I am also creating my own PXE folder structure, so I don't have to rely on erpxe to be updated for new modules. Plus the documentation they provide is somewhat screwy.

I am thinking of using a WIKI format if anyone is interested in contributing or helping add information!

Still looking for a good logo, splash screen, and menu screen. I have made a few options, and have a few options others have made. I still can't decide...contributions are still welcomed :D

I will be kind of MIA for a little bit my family is arriving today for the holidays since they all had to work the rest of the week after XMAS.

The next update will be worth it!!!!

Honestly, my first thought was "OMG!!!Ponies!!!"....wait, I mean OMG!!!Pixies!!! :D

Just kidding....looks good so far.

Oh, and here's a link for those who may be unfamiliar with the "Ponies" reference: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6056735-7.html

HAHA that is great. I mean PXE Dust kinda screams pink and purple to me. This will just be the default menu/splash screen. well menu is a little different :D It is still a secret.

There will be included a guide at some point to create your own splash and menu backgrounds. Along with changing menu colors borders and what not. It will be 100% customize-able for your shop. Maybe for a small donation I will create one specifically for you with your logo!

Also, I am spending a lot of time on the OS installers portion of this program. due to the fact that I wan't to include ONLY the most used and sought after installers.

For Instance
Ubuntu will have the LTS version 12.04 in the following flavors. 32 bit, 64 bit, Server and Desktop
ALSO ubuntu will have Latest Version 12.10 in the following Flavors 32 bit, 64 bit, Server and Desktop
So i need to write a total of 8.....8 Installer scripts for just Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Here is what I have for you tonight!

I updated all the existing scripts to work with the new scheme. I am working on uploading a new PXE-Dust VM for testing. This isn't really an update more of an upgrade of what already exists.

The next true update will be after I get a couple of you to try the new VM and install script to let me know of issues that exist. Once the current release is bug free and workign 100% I will begin adding my new scripts to the release. The new update will be OS Installers, Windows, CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu. In the future I will add others if requested. Also the guide will be updated to include the Diagnostics, and OS Installer. There will be one guide for both the VM and bare-metal installs. I am merging the two I have now. :D

I hope you are excited, because when the new update is released I think you it will blow you away with the Windows Install and Deployment features.

Ok finally, everything is updated in the PXE-Dust scheme, the existing scripts reworked to match the new folder structure.

NEW VM!!! haha

Uploaded to a server instead of a dropbox account so getting the files shouldn't take as long and no 404 or name resolution errors anymore. Guide has been slightly updated to reflect the diagnostic tool installers.

Still working on the OS Installer Scripts. the windows one is taking a while for the guide, the script is pretty simple.

All links in the first post updated to reflect new file locations.

Back