[SOLVED] New HP Laptop Does Not Have WiFi During Win 11 Setup

No, it's not if the intention is to pass a machine on from its original owner to someone else.
I already said it's only needed for 'clean all' or some other unusual task.

Which was in response to "I use it all the time when clean reinstalling to use diskpart to clean the drive on to which Windows is about to be installed" with no mention of secure erase for changing owners. I didn't think that would be something you're doing all the time.

I was clarifying for others in case they thought there was some benefit in using diskpart for ordinary Windows reinstalls.
If you read the material I posted, I propose using just "clean" if the machine is being kept by its original owner.
And my post was about SF10/diskpart not being necessary for ordinary Windows reinstalls, surely you don't use diskpart for the most common situation of reinstalling for the same owner?

I'm not sure why you feel the need to explain that files can easily be recovered if 'clean all' or some other secure erase procedure isn't used. I already mentioned that SF10/diskpart can be used to 'clean all'.

And my post was about SF10/diskpart not being necessary for ordinary Windows reinstalls, surely you don't use diskpart for the most common situation of reinstalling for the same owner?

I absolutely do. When I do a clean reinstall I want the drive to be a tabula rasa and for Windows to install on it as though that drive had just been popped in and never had a blessed thing on it.

If you don't, it's not a completely clean reinstall. It takes all of one minute to do those couple of steps from start to finish. I never insisted anyone else do them, but I am accurately reporting what I do and will continue doing. I don't want recovery partitions from the OEM or anything else that may have somehow been configured on the drive that will be the system drive. I want it CLEAN.

I don't want recovery partitions from the OEM or anything else that may have somehow been configured on the drive that will be the system drive. I want it CLEAN.
As I said, I just delete all partitions in the Windows setup screen that allows you to do it. Just a few clicks and takes 2-3 seconds.

If your extra 57 seconds and dozen keystrokes (SF10, diskpart clean) does something different to simply deleting partitions in the setup screen with a few mouse clicks, I'm open to learn.

If your extra 57 seconds and dozen keystrokes (SF10, diskpart clean) does something different to simply deleting partitions in the setup screen with a few mouse clicks, I'm open to learn.

Please post the screen you are referring to. I am completely unfamiliar with it and have never seen anything like your description during a Windows reinstall.

I, too, am open to other options. The method I use works, and is fast if you're an even reasonably decent typist. I find "Point and Click" to actually be slower sometimes than using the command line.

Please post the screen you are referring to. I am completely unfamiliar with it and have never seen anything like your description during a Windows reinstall.

I, too, am open to other options. The method I use works, and is fast if you're an even reasonably decent typist. I find "Point and Click" to actually be slower sometimes than using the command line.

This.jpg

Which I have seen, if, and only if, I have an empty drive to begin with, which I don't when doing a reinstall, unless this comes much later in the process than the language choice screen, and because I break out there and wipe the drive I never even see it at all.

As @Appletax posted, it's the screen titled "Where do you want to install Windows?". If the drive is new (or cleaned), it shows Unallocated Space and you just continue. If the drive has a prior OS, it will show the partitions. Previous clean installs will show just 3 partitions, 4 or 5 for OEM images. The delete command removes the selected partition.

Some OEM images, and some customers, might have a separate data partition which usually shouldn't be removed (but would be with diskpart clean). After removing partitions you just select Unallocated Space as the location to install to, then continue and the setup will create the required partitions.

As @Appletax posted, it's the screen titled "Where do you want to install Windows?". If the drive is new (or cleaned), it shows Unallocated Space and you just continue. If the drive has a prior OS, it will show the partitions. Previous clean installs will show just 3 partitions, 4 or 5 for OEM images. The delete command removes the selected partition.

Some OEM images, and some customers, might have a separate data partition which usually shouldn't be removed (but would be with diskpart clean). After removing partitions you just select Unallocated Space as the location to install to, then continue and the setup will create the required partitions.

Yea, I have always done this, but I do like the idea of using clean (not clean all) to make sure the entire drive's partitions and whatever else are completely wiped out. Seems like it might be more thorough than the old way, but no way to know. 😞

Back