[SOLVED] Cannot Boot NTLite USB Flash Drive

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: set the image format to ESD (Read-Only), which works, whereas the default choice of keeping WIM (editable) does not work.

---------------------------
I have never been able to figure out how to get a bootable USB flash drive with NTLite Windows 10 or 11.

Just used NTLite to slipstream Wi-Fi drivers and the latest Windows 11 updates into an ISO.

Used Rufus 3.17 to make the bootable drive. Does not work.

Drag and dropped the ISO files into the flash drive. Does not work.

Using a brand new HP laptop with TPM 2.0 on and Secure Boot on. No legacy stuff on.

Rufus settings:

Rufus.jpg

Here's what I had NTLite do:

NTLite.jpg

Edit: I figured it out by remembering that there's WIM and ESD. Gotta figure out what the difference is.

Turns out that I can have NTLite convert WIM (editable) to ESD (read-only).

Sure wish the instructions I found on NTLite included this crucial info!

ESD.jpg

Rufus lets me choose FAT32 or NTFS. Wonder if it makes any difference. I think NTFS works faster.

Last edited:
Used Rufus 3.17 to make the bootable drive. Does not work.
Besides having to set Rufus to GPT and Secure UEFI Secure boot (instead of MBR/BIOS), it seems to matter where the download came from. Do not download it from the MS store. MS nerfed some of it's capabilities when it is allowed as an in-store buy. I forgot all the details and may try to dig them up later when I have time.

Besides having to set Rufus to GPT and Secure UEFI Secure boot (instead of MBR/BIOS), it seems to matter where the download came from. Do not download it from the MS store. MS nerfed some of it's capabilities when it is allowed as an in-store buy. I forgot all the details and may try to dig them up later when I have time.

Did not know it was on the M$ Store. I always get it from the maker.

Back