Weird Windows 10 64bit USB 3.x devices don't mount

labtech

Reaction score
I have a weird issue with a custom built machine running Win 10 64bit with Intel CPU on an ASRock Z390 Taichi motherboard.

Drivers are up to date per Windows 10 update checking for compatibility.
Tests are done with brand new USB 3.0 hard drives formatted with NTFS, which work fine on other Windows 10/11 machines.
The machine was fine in the past with mounting USB 3.x devices for 2+ years.

USB 3.x devices get detected in device manager, however they don't mount with letter in Explorer.
Interestingly, the same ports work fine with USB 2.0 devices. They mount and show in Explorer as expected.
This happens with the built in USB ports on the motherboard and an add-on 2-port USB3.0 PCIe card.

I cannot think of anything relevant causing the problem, except recently before this problem began occurring, the machine would sometimes strangely blue screen when connecting and disconnecting USB flash drives on both, the add-on USB card the and the built-in motherboard ports.

Gonna next boot a Linux distribution to see if it mounts USB 3.x devices, which would rule out physical port issues.

Any ideas on what could be causing this on the Windows side?

Weird coincidence -- I've been beating my brains out with the same problem for the past 24 hrs. Detects and mounts in a PE okay. SFC, DISM, USBOblivion and Tweaking all run successfully but no change. Only driver issues are related to customer's Canon printer. I think it's Windows Reset time.

Last edited:
USB 3.x devices get detected in device manager
I think my case is different because the drive does not show in Device Manager. Apologies for barging into your thread -- I thought we had the same problem. I'll watch with interest the suggestions you get and if I solve my case, I'll update.

What is the exact Windows 10 build number? Are you using the latest build? Have tried the previous build? What about Windows 11? Are you using ports on the backplate or headers in your chassis?

Linux sees and mounts the same USB 3.x devices I have been testing with fine. So, not a physical issue with the USB ports.
Something with Windows is the culprit.
Checking those links you guys provided... thanks.

I've seen this on a Dell Optiplex, older model I think it's a 3020? 3rd generation i5 under the hood. The Intel provided USB 3.0 drivers are only available via Windows Update or Windows itself, and those ports are simply hit and miss. Use the 2.0 ports, they're fine. Use a 2.0 device in the 3.0 ports, those are fine. But put a 3.0 device in the 3.0 port and it won't work.

My research at the time revealed it to be a driver issue, but no other driver is available. Given that non-Windows OSs work on that hardware, it seems to support the idea that the USB 3.0 drivers on Windows are buggered. But given how they're welded into Windows you'll likely need to N&P the machine to get "new" ones installed.

I'd start with a feature update to 21H1... see if that breaks it loose. The massive headache here is to "fix" this you need to replace the USB drivers, but you cannot DO THAT without removing all USB at once... you do that when you have USB KB/Mouse now you can't control the machine! So only a reinstall of the platform can replace USB drivers!

What is the exact Windows 10 build number? Are you using the latest build? Have tried the previous build? What about Windows 11? Are you using ports on the backplate or headers in your chassis?
Tested all USB ports. Front, back and add-on USB 3.0 card.
DISM and SFC /scannow found and fixed some inconsistencies, repaired them, but USB 3.x still no go.

Last edited:
My research at the time revealed it to be a driver issue, but no other driver is available. Given that non-Windows OSs work on that hardware, it seems to support the idea that the USB 3.0 drivers on Windows are buggered. But given how they're welded into Windows you'll likely need to N&P the machine to get "new" ones installed.
This is one of the PC3000 machines with all the cards installed and configured (SAS, SCSI, etc), firmware database, etc... the data recovery fellas know the pain in doing a N&P 🤬:)

Reversed the machine to a restore point back in February 2022 and all USB 3.x ports work fine now.
Good job! Hard to believe that's the one thing I neglected to try. A repair install attempt via Update Assistant failed with "Failed to detect PC can upgrade to Win10" or words to that effect? Strangely, in my case, I was unable to boot to Safe mode to run Tweaking using Tweaking's Reboot to Safe mode option or shift+restart; MSCONFIG had that option neutered. Fresh install fixed it.

Before executing Windows Updates, I always create a Restore Point.
Reversed the machine to a restore point back in February 2022 and all USB 3.x ports work fine now.
I guess, the last Windows 10 update screwed up the drivers.
History repeats itself. Seems like every few months an update gets pushed and some EU's end up with USB problems.

Back