Keyboard and mouse not working WIN 10

JohnDoe1980

Reaction score
Hello. I have a PC running Windows 10. It boots and loads Windows to the logon screen but there is no response from the keyboard and mouse. I've tried different USB ports to no avail. I was able to get a PS/2 mouse working and was able to sign in. I go to device manager and look at keyboards and mice and the only ones installed are PS/2. When I plug something in or disconnect something from a USB port nothing pops up in Windows about setting up a new device, and nothing different shows in device manager. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling device drivers to no avail. I tried system restore but the restore process failed. This is the second time I've run into this issue with a Win 10 PC. I thought about downloading and manually installing USB drivers but am weary of driver websites and the manufacturers sites do not have them. I have also looked in the BIOS for legacy USB option and there is nothing there related.

This is an HP S/N MXL2021B4B

I thought about downloading and manually installing USB drivers but am weary of driver websites and the manufacturers sites do not have them.
Assuming that you're wary (cautious) and not weary (fed up), may I recommend Snappy Driver Installer Origin as a trustworthy and reliable source of old and obscure drivers? It's maintained by one of our members and we know where he lives.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GTP
I would boot with a Linux or Win PE and see if it works. Does the KBD work in Bios?
I was able to boot into Win PE and the USB mouse and keyboard work. They also show up in device manager in the PE environment but not in Windows. What is KBD?

Keyboard, I believe. If it works in UEFI/BIOS, then it's definitely not dead. And your other testing now clearly indicates it's not the keyboard (or mouse) that's the root of the problem.

I also vote for doing a nuke and pave if that's a viable option and restoring user data from a backup taken before doing so.

I also vote for doing a nuke and pave if that's a viable option and restoring user data from a backup taken before doing so.
That's what I did with the last computer that had this issue. The problem is, the person who owns it has quite a few integrated programs that would all need to be reinstalled and configured and it might be a real hassle to do that.

The problem is, the person who owns it has quite a few integrated programs that would all need to be reinstalled and configured and it might be a real hassle to do that.

When this is the case, my usual advice is, in order:
1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary. But if you have zero access to a keyboard or mouse of any kind, this gets really ugly. But it sounds like you do have access, at least, to a PS-2 mouse and keyboard, and I'd use those for the process.

When this is the case, my usual advice is, in order:
1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary. But if you have zero access to a keyboard or mouse of any kind, this gets really ugly. But it sounds like you do have access, at least, to a PS-2 mouse and keyboard, and I'd use those for the process.
I followed your advice. Still nothing.

Well, if a repair install doesn't fix it, then as far as I'm concerned your only option is either
Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File
or
Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

You've already pretty much ruled out hardware issues, and the only culprit left is Windows. And if a Windows repair install from the ISO doesn't fix this, nothing short of a clean slate will (and even that has the potential to fail).

I can't for the life of me understand how or why even Microsoft's generic drivers would not work with the keyboard and mouse/mousepad.

HP? I had a similar problem with an HP laptop about two years ago. My recollection is fuzzy, but... I recall doing a clean install and it was fine, then later it stopped again. May have been triggered by plugging in a Logitech receiver for a wireless keyboard and mouse.

HP? I had a similar problem with an HP laptop about two years ago. My recollection is fuzzy, but... I recall doing a clean install and it was fine, then later it stopped again. May have been triggered by plugging in a Logitech receiver for a wireless keyboard and mouse.
I was able to get a PS/2 mouse and keyboard working. The client didn't want to lose all their data from a new windows install so they are just taking it with the keyboard and mouse that work. It's frustrating though, not knowing the cause of this. Like I said before, this is the second time I've run into this issue (in the last 2 weeks). :S

I'm surprised it has a PS/2 port. Is it a desktop? How old?
From the serial number it's an HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC, dated July 2012. Not a bad machine for its day, but it pre-dates Windows 10 by three years and would probably have shipped with Windows 7.

In other words, it's old but by no means exotic. I'd be astonished if SDIO couldn't find a working USB driver for it, even if it's a Windows 7 one.

I was able to get a PS/2 mouse and keyboard working. The client didn't want to lose all their data from a new windows install so they are just taking it with the keyboard and mouse that work. It's frustrating though, not knowing the cause of this. Like I said before, this is the second time I've run into this issue (in the last 2 weeks). : S
It's been a documented, though somewhat rare, that W10 updates break USB devices. While doing a restore point can help you can also go into W10 updates and start rolling them back. Do you have drive images that have been tested? And given the circumstances, once it's back up and running, you'd want 2 if you don't have any.

At some point, that system will have more issues. You can only put so many band aids on Windows.

Your client needs to start preparing to migrate his data, back it up, as at some point a re install will be the only recourse and data probably will be lost.

It sucks, but right now he at least has had his data spared death. He should use this new lease of time wisely!

Back