[SOLVED] Broke Laptop's WiFi Antenna Port

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: @inbargains can fix it :)

---------------------
HP Spectre x360 Convertible - Model 15-df0023dx - Serial # 5CD9268SY9

Screen is busted and display assembly is twisted. Replacing the entire assembly.

Super carefully removed the WiFi chip's antenna cables. The main port broke. Super, super fragile.

Chip is soldered. Have to replace the entire motherboard to fix this. There's no slots to install a new one.

Sooooo stupid!!!! The solder is razor thin!

WiFi.jpg

Can someone repair it with soldering?

I am going to suggest a nano-sized USB WiFi adapter. It is not my fault that his expensive machine is a POS HP :(

Like this one

Should I even bother to attach the new display's WiFi antenna cable to the intact Aux port?

What would you do?

Last edited:
I would tell them what has happened and suggest exactly what you're thinking of suggesting. Buying one for the client is such a minimal investment and, in all probability, they won't care one bit exactly how they've got WiFi, just that they actually do have WiFi.

I've used nano-sized USB WiFi adapters for years and quite a few of them are actually better than the built in cards with their antennas. If this particular laptop has a scad of extra USB ports, particularly if they're on the back of the machine below the screen hinge, it's the perfect place for a permanent placement of said adapter.

I would tell them what has happened and suggest exactly what you're thinking of suggesting. Buying one for the client is such a minimal investment and, in all probability, they won't care one bit exactly how they've got WiFi, just that they actually do have WiFi.

I've used nano-sized USB WiFi adapters for years and quite a few of them are actually better than the built in cards with their antennas. If this particular laptop has a scad of extra USB ports, particularly if they're on the back of the machine below the screen hinge, it's the perfect place for a permanent placement of said adapter.

There is only 1 USB Type A port. Wow, even Apple laptops have more.

There's a USB-C port and a USB-C Lightning port.

USB C & Lightning WiFi adapters appear to not exist.

But, there are small USB-C to USB Type A adapters.

I made the mistake of trying to pry the antenna off the port by going in at an angle.

In the future, I will use some sort of tool like mini pliers to pull it up.

Any suggestions on said tool?

I have found these wifi antennae more frustrating to reconnect at times. Due to the way they are designed to fit, for this I use my magnifying tool and prop them down like a lunar module before re connection - as the base points can warp easily . Also of note - when testing the power keep the antennae away from any solid contact with mobo - for safety sake I tape them off AT THE ENDS.

just a general pry tool - pry tools

Last edited:
Did you try the WiFi without this antenna. It may work but with a weaker signal.
Can you attempt re-soldering the antenna wire directly to the "pads", without the plugs. Those pads seem large enough...

I cannot repair the Wi-Fi as I do not know how to solder. And I doubt there's anyone in my small community that can do it. Would probably have to travel 2 hours to the nearest big city or mail it in.

Edit: I keep getting emails from big tech repair companies stating that they cannot do the soldering.

The Wi-Fi does not work at all now.

Customer is happy with the final outcome.

Screen is installed and works great. Sent him a nano Wi-Fi USB adapter. Gave him a discount on labor.

Last edited:
I cannot repair the Wi-Fi as I do not know how to solder. And I doubt there's anyone in my small community that can do it. Would probably have to travel 2 hours to the nearest big city or mail it in.

Edit: I keep getting emails from big tech repair companies stating that they cannot do the soldering.

The Wi-Fi does not work at all now.

Customer is happy with the final outcome.

Screen is installed and works great. Sent him a nano Wi-Fi USB adapter. Gave him a discount on labor.
Take it as a learning curve. Next time don't go in unknowingly study the device and methods, get some tools and learn soldering - every tech doesn't know everything. The big companies wont do it because it is a small job, quick reflow back on board. Good to hear your customer was happy in the end well done :)

Soldering work (in my experience) is fraught with issues. Hence, I don't do it for anyone but myself anymore.

I'm very happy for @Appletax that his client was happy with the overall result. I expected they would be.

Definitely a learning experience. I kept a customer's laptop in full view in my office for a couple of years as a reminder after a similar experience. I ended up replacing it on my dime early in my career when I tried to solder in a new power jack that was loose and intermittently working. No boot at all after my ham-fisted attempt, sadly. The customer graciously accepted my offer to purchase a unit of similar age and specs on ebay, but - no surprise - never called again for service. Everytime someone called with a soldering job, I would look up at that laptop while I politely declined. haha. Like @britechguy, ever since, I only break out the soldering iron for my own stuff.

I can solder that, no problem if you want it fixed. Nintendo switch battery connector I replaced after another shop pulled the connector and two pads off the board. Routine stuff anymore.

Attachments

• 4632720fb8c1eeac9d6084f297c42f1c.jpg
    4632720fb8c1eeac9d6084f297c42f1c.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 20
  • fc734fe4a1de43e0e0e802dfbb4979b7.jpg
    fc734fe4a1de43e0e0e802dfbb4979b7.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
@Sky-Knight

And that particular device is, if not truly ubiquitous, very widespread as are other variants on the same theme. It's what's in the HP laptop I'm typing on and a very great many others.

Just looked the part up. Found on Ebay for $10.03 plus shipping. Exact part number. Cheaper and better to replace, at least in my opinion. worth the $15 or so.

Cheaper and better to replace, at least in my opinion. worth the $15 or so.
Still has to be soldered in.
OP does not solder or have anyone close to do it.

Back