My toolkit, and your toolkit.

greggh

Reaction score
So how about we post about what we actually take with us to calls. Ill start it off.

My CD/DVD wallet has:

• Ultimate Boot CD

• My own BartPE environment with a lot of plugins and modifications.

• Software disc that includes everything I think I need (the list is gigantic, so here are a few: ccleaner, multiple anti spyware and anti virus tools, 7-Zip, HiJackThis and many other tools like it, password revealers for ie websites office docs and wireless networks. ect....)

• 3 Driver discs full of all the driver packs unpacked.

• 4 Service Packs discs. XP/2K/2K3/ALL OFFICE, service packs and
    AutoPatchers.

• 1 DVD made up of all 3 driver discs and all 4 service pack discs (if they have a dvd drive, might as well use it)

• Acronis bootable disc with all the acronis tools (we are an Acronis partner so I am licensed.)

Next list is my windows discs that I bring (all real copies, not burns)

• Windows XP SP2 HOME RETAIL

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM GENERIC

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM HP

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM GATEWAY

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM DELL

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM EMACHINE

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM COMPAQ

• Windows XP SP2 HOME OEM LENOVO

• Windows XP SP2 HOME VLK

• Windows XP SP2 PRO RETAIL

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM GENERIC

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM HP

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM GATEWAY

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM DELL

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM EMACHINE

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM COMPAQ

• Windows XP SP2 PRO OEM LENOVO

• Windows XP SP2 PRO VLK/CORP

• Windows 95 B

• Windows 98 First Edition

• Windows 98 Second Edition

• Windows ME

• Windows 2000 Workstaton

• Windows 2000 Server

• Windows 2003 Small Business

• Windows 2003 Small Business R2

• Windows 2003 Standard

• Windows 2003 Standard R2

• Windows 2003 Web

• Windows 2003 Web R2

• Windows 2003 Enterprise

• Windows 2003 Enterprise R2

• Windows 2003 Datacenter

• Windows 2003 Datacenter R2

• Windows Vista Ultimate (contains all vista versions.)

Some people will say that is all a bit too much. But it isn't. If you don't have the right version and they don't have their discs what will you do? Of course I will only use these if they have their license. Usually that is on the tower itself somewhere or in the documentation. I am lucky to have some of these expensive ones thanks to my companies partnership level with Microsoft and our ActionPack subscription.

Next up is hardware

• 8 gig usb flash drive

• 250 gig external usb and firewire drive/enclosure.

• External 20x DVD+/-RW with lightscribe. (also usb and firewire)

• Usually (when fully stocked) 2 of every possible cable I could need (ide, sata, converter cables for 2.5" drive to 3.5" drive and so on.)

• About 10 blank cds and 10 blank dvds (of course this always changes.)

• Leatherman

• Spare parts: power supply, dvdrw drive, about every type of ram in 512 meg sticks, wireless router, wireless access point, a couple ide and sata hard drives, and a few other misc random parts.

Thats pretty much it, every now and then something else random shows up. I keep most of it in my big targus laptop backpack. The spare parts stay in a tub in my trunk when I am in the car, and in my closet when I am not. The external drives go in a little carrying bag that barely holds them both, but its actually a really good fit. So you will usually see me walking in with my backpack on and the bag in my hand (or using the shoulder strap on the little bag.)

Anyone else want to show us what they carry?

Thats just about everything you'll ever need, the only difference in my collection is I prefer Hiron's boot disk. And I also carry all the Dell diagnostic CD's, not because I normally need them but its much easier to show the client "see the test failed you need a new one" instead of saying trust me I'm an expert...

hirens

I didnt list hirens simply because it is warez (not that I care, just saying why it isnt LISTED.)

Id post my own list but greggh's list beats the crap out of mine. His has pretty much everything mine has and a little more. The only thing that I have that isn't listed there is a handful of converter plugs. PS2 to USB, USB to PS2, Old style keyboard to PS2, PS2 to old style, DVI to VGA, VGA to DVI etc...

Its always great to have the converters. in my "and so on" for the cables most of the converters are covered. I did forget my dvi-vga converter plug somewhere last week, gotta get another one into the backpack.

Most of the time me, myself and my safe mode index finger is all that’s needed but sometimes I also require some disks. I don’t cary half as many as you guys do though. Here is a tip

Creating a Multiboot CD/DVD

Want more than one version of Windows on a single CD? Curious as to how Microsoft makes some of its MSDN CD's?

Multiboot CD/DVD's allow this and more. Not only can you have multiple versions of Windows on a singe disk, you can also include versions of Linux, Windows PE, or other utilities.

Thanks to all the wonderfull people from MSFN for the great ideas and help.

greggh: Great idea for a thread mate. It gives all the new guys a good idea of whats needed to be a pro tech :D

I actually have a multiboot dvd ive made with all of those versions of windows on it. I of course cant use it on systems without bootable dvd drives. So I bring it and the cds.

My main toolkit cd has a pe environment, ubcd, all the acronis tools, the recovery console and about 10 other tools all bootable.

Its not that expensive at all. In fact he states exactly how he gets it all. From Microsofts "Action Pak". I don't get it because I don't run my own business, I work for a company that supplies me everything, and just do a few things on the side.

But its about $180 or something I can't remember and don't feel like looking it up on the website. Once registered they send you the OEM software for basically all of the microsoft products available. Check it out at partner.microsoft.com/actionpack

For me it would be worthless but for anyone running their own biz it should be the best tool in the world.

A lot of it was actually. It depends on your Action Pack level. We are a small business solutions provider, we also have a couple other partner names with them. But thats the one that matters most.

One thing that happens is that they take things out of the pack and put new things in. So anything I have that is earlier than 2003 is already out of the action pack. But I still have valid licenses and the right to use them. They arent in the CURRENT one, but they are still in my hands, with license. You just have to keep good track of all of your action pack discs, they come in binders so it isnt hard.

Last edited:
Wow that is impressive.....I'm jealous my looks like crap compared to yours.

Last edited:
-mini pc toolkit
-Techie's Toolkit Boot CD
-can of compressed air
-anti-static wrist strap

Hey..gimme a break i've only been in biz a month. :p

Here's what I carry with me for all jobs:

My 4GB USB Key with a zillion different utilities, windows updates, Autopacher, etc.

Toolbox with:
  • Flashlights
  • Spare Screws
  • Spare NIC
  • Spare RAM
  • Spare PCI/AGP video cards
  • Floppy drive
  • Multimeter
  • Thermal paste and application stuff.
  • Zip ties
  • Scissors
  • 80MM Fan
  • Cables (IDE, SATA, Various Molex adapters)
  • DVI to VGA adapter
  • USB sound card
  • And some various stuff I can't remember.

Backpack with:
  • Full Size PC toolkit.
  • Compressed air.
And a CD Case with:

• Bootable CDs (Win PE, UBCD etc.)
  • Acronis True Image and Disk Director
  • Windows XP in its various flavours
  • Linux Distros
  • Some floppies for BIOS flashes/loading HDD controller drivers.
  • Blank CDs/DVDs

I have another toolbox that I use on some occasions as well with:
Toolbox with:
  • 250GB External HDD
  • 80GB IDE HDD
  • CD-RW drive
  • Router
  • Another NIC
  • Cat 5 Cables
  • Odds and sods.

Most of the time I will also have a laptop.

If I believe the job Warrants it, I will also bring:

Used parts to test with as well as a new PSUs, Routers, RAM, etc. to sell.

I've been doing on-site computer repair for just over 2 years now, and I feel this packages covers just about everything.

Last edited:
some of you list laptops and greg listed where he got his but I was wondering where do the rest of you get laptops? And whats your experince like from the website and or how does the laptop run?

Back