Thinking About Switching From Legion 5 Pro To MacBook Pro M1 Pro

I am thinking about going a different route. I miss having a big screen. I had a 27" 4K Dell monitor from 2014 that I sold after getting my laptop. I gew unhappy with how dim the display is (perhaps 300-350 nits). My laptop has 500 nits, which is still too low.

Really wanted a MacBook Pro for the all-in-one form factor and the super-bright miniLED display.

I don't hardly ever take my laptop anywhere, so I don't have a need for one.

It would make more sense to get a Mac Mini and a really nice, big display. Would prefer a 2022 model with M1 Pro + HDMI 2.1, and 512GB SSD + 16GB RAM.

Was interested in the Samsung QN90A 43" TV to use as a monitor as it is miniLED, but it appears to be only 60Hz. For $1,100, it should definitely be 120Hz+.

I really want a Mac for the reliability (not perfect, but better than Windows).

For gaming, I might be able to use GeForce Now. My ping to their servers is 51ms, which is 11ms higher than what is recommended.

Also, I could get a small form factor gaming PC to go with a Mac Mini - Mac for day-to-day usage, and gaming PC for just gaming and nothing else. Would be a bit pricey.

Due to the GPU shortage, I'd have to go with a pre-built SFF PC. Would want something with non-proprietary crap like mobo and PSU, etc.

I really want a Mac for the reliability (not perfect, but better than Windows).

I do believe this thread has plenty of information in it already to dissuade this concept. Mac is NOT more reliable than Windows, it never has been. I'm not going to get into a which is better argument because that's pointless. The platforms are equivalent assuming the Windows side of the fence is running on quality hardware.

The only thing Apple does for you, is make you buy good hardware. They don't sell junk in terms of general quality. You can't upgrade or service the things... which I have deep abiding issues with, but they are good quality and generally last for their assigned lifetime. Which by the way, is 4 years for their desktops.

PC gaming is sadly just not available right now. nVidida's CEO said last year the 30 series shortage would be over by Q4 of 2022. So if you can wait on this front until this time next year, more options will be available to you. Even if you should decide to use a game streaming service, you still need a GPU. And you just can't get your hands on one short of buying an overpriced rig that includes one.

Back