Transplanting drive from one machine to another

For apps that are mission critical, it's best to try the image on new hardware first. Some older software is incredibly stupidly made, such that simply having a different username or folder name can break the app, not to mention tracking down libraries required. It may look like the program functions but critical process or functions could crash. Not to mention that config files or license files could be stored in any manner of ways which can be a real pain. Also, some apps may rely on plugins that can be a source of pain.

While I agree getting a transplant to work takes effort, it does work in most cases. Typically once the system can boot, you can remove drivers and utils that cause issues. Safe mode helps in this case, where you can work on removing things.

I have done file by file manual app transfer, but it's not a quick process. You have a "debugger" that you run that app with to monitor calls and interrupts, find where it's expecting libraries to be. With a live system and the app already installed, you have the advantage of being able to run the same debug process and have a better image of the app for future use.

trying to transplant a drive with all the software etc. intact.

That's the only time I try to transfer a drive. The customer has programs and apps they deem irreplaceable and they don't have the original disks or download. I always image everything before doing just about anything.....

I wanted to upgrade my daughter's machine from a old Dell Optiplex SFF running a 1st gen i5 and Win10 Pro to a HP Pavilion with 7th gen i5 that was running Win10 Home. I was also curious how well drive transplants work as I have never done one for a customer. I was mostly curious how MS or Windows handles the licensing issues. After imaging her old SSD (a full 2TB - pffft!) and setting the Pavilion to legacy boot, I dropped her old SSD in the new HP Pavilion and on first boot watched it go through the hardware updating or installing drivers and then into an automatic reboot. Tadaa! Up comes her desktop and all appears good. I check licensing and it's running Win10 Pro. I didn't really expect it to down-grade to Windows Home but I'm also surprised I'm not getting errors or licensing issues. The license for that machine is for Home yet it is running happily with Pro. Now what happens when I do a fresh install on her old machine? That Win10 Pro license can't be in use on two machines at once. Things that make you go hmmm........
Actually, you can. Windows can't necessarily limit their licenses or else they get a TON of phone calls, so they give you a free couple attached to the account.

Back