[SOLVED] Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Robert Moore

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully someone out there can help me with a problem I am having. I have a Surface Pro 4, after restarting it does not recognize my password for my linked account. This is the ONLY account on this device. The startup screen is showing no active network connections.

I've tried to book to safe mode (network and command prompt), tried to boot to a Win 10 installation USB, tried TechUSB utility, I've tried the on-board troubleshooting options, everything I try prompts me for a password to this account ... which I have correct, but it doesn't like it. I tried my previous password, hoping it was out of sync ... no luck.

Any ideas how to get this back to a functioning computer.

Tried NTPassword Reset Utility?

https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Takes about 2 minutes.

Barcelona,

Thanks for the reply, however I have no way to try this program. Every option to boot this device requires me to enter the password. I've attempted to boot into the onboard reset program, system restore, Windows 10 install USB, Tech USB utility USB, I've even gone into the UEFI settings and disabled every boot device except the USB and still needs a password. I've taken the device out of safe boot - still wants my Microsoft Account password.

Every option to boot this device requires me to enter the password. I've attempted to boot into the onboard reset program, system restore, Windows 10 install USB, Tech USB utility USB, I've even gone into the UEFI settings and disabled every boot device except the USB and still needs a password. I've taken the device out of safe boot - still wants my Microsoft Account password.

I find this difficult to believe understand unless you have a BIOS password set. Are you really telling us that you need to provide the password for your Microsoft Account in order to boot from an external device?

Last edited:
I dunno about the surface 4 pro but I know you can't boot from any usb device on a surface 1 pro aside from like a usb flash drive with the surface recovery image installed.....or maybe its simply that its so unreliable that the only time i managed to get it to boot happened to be the usb flash drive with surface recovery image installed cause I had to try hundreds of times to get it to work.

Edit: the surface 4 pro doesnt have the hdd encrypted by default?

So you don't have a USB2Ethernet dongle?

Markverhyden,
I do have a USB2Ethernet dongel and I also have the Surface Pro 4 Dock station. Both items resulted in no connection to the network. The device is acting like the drivers for the network card have been removed completely.

I find this difficult to believe understand unless you have a BIOS password set. Are you really telling us that you need to provide the password for your Microsoft Account in order to boot from an external device?

Computer Bloke and Barcelona,
What I am telling you, is that no matter how I attempt to boot the device it asks for my MS account password. If the Surface Pro 4 cannot boot to any other device (i.e. USB utility drive) or can only boot to the Surface Recovery media, then maybe that is what is happening. In all cases, every boot attempt ends with the screen that asks for my MS account password. I can somewhat understand the on-board diagnostics asking for the password, but an external utility drive doesn't make sense. I understand your disbelieve... er confusion ... but those are the facts.

*light bulb* I just remembered something. (edit: I THINK) The surface 4 pro still has that rare wifi issue that the older ones have where sometimes the wifi won't work until you do a hard shutdown (not hybrid shutdown) maybe thats why you don't get any active connections. Try this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/surface-pro-two-button-shutdown

ComputerRepairTech,
Thanks for the info, I will look into this item as soon as I return home. However, I have connected this to a hardwired port and still do not get a network connection.

Everyone,
Thanks for the continued support. This seems very strange and maybe I'm missing something. But it is very frustrating. Hopefully I will have better news soon. Any other ideas still welcome.

Thanks
Robert

I dunno about the surface 4 pro but I know you can't boot from any usb device on a surface 1 pro aside from like a usb flash drive with the surface recovery image installed.....or maybe its simply that its so unreliable that the only time i managed to get it to boot happened to be the usb flash drive with surface recovery image installed cause I had to try hundreds of times to get it to work.

Edit: the surface 4 pro doesnt have the hdd encrypted by default?

ComputerRepairTech,

It seems you are correct on your observation. I did some more research (I had always assumed you could boot to any proper USB device) and found Microsoft's method for creating the boot disk (diskpart :O ) and followed their instructions, I also was given the link to the Surface Recovery ISO from John D. at Podnutz podcast. Put the two together and I can at least recover to a new machine ... just can't recover the one file I didn't have backed up.

I guess this closes this issue ... Thanks everyone for the help, hope I can return it some day.

Robert

So doing the hard shutdown did not change things?

Markverhyden,

Correct, had the same issue.

HOWEVER, I did come to somewhat of a better conclusion. After booting to the recovery usb, it has some advance tools (command prompt) that allowed me access to the files system ... my file is recovered. I tried to change a restore point, but none of them worked ... so it is probably best to nuke-n-pave.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Back