Outlook sync hangs at 1B - GoDaddy O365

Rigo

Reaction score
Customer has Surface Book with only 120GB storage.
I added 500GB micro SD-Card and configured as expansion storage. Unfortunately, had to use an adapter which has sliding lock switch for write protection.
When re-inserting the card he might have lock it which prevented Outlook from writing to it when he tried to fetch his mail.
He's got domain reg + hosting + O365 through GoDaddy. The support created a new profile and reconfigured his access to his mail account. As the sync never completed, he brought it over to me as he lost trust in their support.
On checking I found that offline settings was set at 1-yr only, so I changed that up to All.
Now all messages do sync except for some odd 1B at the end of it all and sync hangs on it.
If Outlook is restarted it seems to redownload everything again the OST file size increases accordingly though there are no duplicate messages.
I've renamed the original OST file so Outlook would recreate a new one but that didn't solve the sync hang/redownload issue.
As it appears that scanpst doesn't actually fix OST files, what else can I try to solve this?
Thx folks.

Attachments

• Outlook sync stopped.JPG
    Outlook sync stopped.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3
Are you double-sure that the computer has the space and isn't using the 120GB drive? Outlook can require a good 1/2 or so of the OST file to process it... for example, a 6GB OST file may need 9GB of disk space to work with it/deflate/etc... especially during an initial download and 'file'.

Otherwise, I might be taking a look at that SD-Card. I'm not saying it won't work... but those things are pretty slow usually - especially on writing big, continuous data files. I cringe at the thought of having to store an OST on an SD card - but I realize you may not have much option (Maybe use an external SSD instead?)

Does it actually allow you to see emails in Outlook? Are you sure they aren't at the storage limit? I seem to remember that the sync usually starts with the most recent and then goes back in time. I'd compare what's on the computer with OWA. Maybe just need to delete some old corrupt files.

Are you double-sure that the computer has the space and isn't using the 120GB drive? Outlook can require a good 1/2 or so of the OST file to process it... for example, a 6GB OST file may need 9GB of disk space to work with it/deflate/etc... especially during an initial download and 'file'.

Otherwise, I might be taking a look at that SD-Card. I'm not saying it won't work... but those things are pretty slow usually - especially on writing big, continuous data files. I cringe at the thought of having to store an OST on an SD card - but I realize you may not have much option (Maybe use an external SSD instead?)
I had made some tweaks to redirect everything to the SD card so the C drive has about 45% free space so that should be ok for Windows.

I ended up running scanpst and it suggested the OST file and did repairs to it that fixed the issue with incomplete sync.
Then I had to review the settings a little closer and the full redownload was also fixed.
Thx for the suggestions folks 👍🏽

Back