Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook - Sent emails also copied into wrong Sent Items folder

Blue House Computer Help

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

A bit of a strange one (well, to me because I haven't seen it before). I have a customer who uses two email accounts in Outlook for two different companies he freelances for. The first one is for the company I'm responsible for, using Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO), a decision I'm beginning to regret, but he really needed shared calendars in Outlook. The other is an Exchange based account.

So the problem is that whenever he sends e-mail from the Google account, it puts a copy of the e-mail in the sent items of the other account, as well as in the sent items folder of the Google account. He has old profile with just the exchange account on it (On install, GWSMO had created a new profile, and then we re-added his exchange account to the new one). As an experiment we added the Google account as an IMAP account in the old profile, and that doesn't show the same behaviour, but he can't access his shared calendars.

We tried:
  • Using the re-sync button in the Google workspace window to delete and recreate his e-mail folders.
  • Deselecting the option in "Account Settings - Mail" to save a copy of sent messages to sent items folder (which worked, but also stopped the proper behaviour, as you could imagine)

Wierd? Has anyone seen this before?

Yes, I have seen this. The only fix I can figure out is to add a PST to the profile, then make that the default in the data files area. Exchange will always want to make itself default unless you do this, from my experience.

Back