[SOLVED] Can you still install win 10 with win 7 key?

ell

Reaction score
I got in a acer laptop, the owner claims a update screwed it up and wants me to nuke & pave, fine, she says it had win 10 on it. I format and install using the media tool without putting in her win 7 key, it installs fine but doesn't activate, so I assume shes lying, if she had it on before it should have activated, but I am reading where if I had put in her win 7 key during installation it may had activated, is this still true? I already wiped and put win 7 on and activated, but don't want to get deal with her saying it had win 10 on it.

Do you have have an image of it? Just look in the windows/system32/license.rtf file to show you which os it had

It should It did the last one we tried maybe a week or two ago. That is how we upgrade all of our windows 7 computers if they are trying to preserve their programs

Edit:
Actually the last one failed for some unknown reason. In the past that is the way we have done all of our 7 upgrades and they always activate

We have made so much money(crazy record profits ) this year upgrading 7 computers to 10 with new ssds. I am not looking forward to the day MS no longer allows this

Last edited:
As long as you are installing the correct edition of 10. Home/Pro, If it had 10 on it before it will auto activate when you go online.
If 10 was never on it you just skip the key on install and go to activation after install and choose change key and then use the 7 key.

As long as you are installing the correct edition of 10. Home/Pro, If it had 10 on it before it will auto activate when you go online.
If 10 was never on it you just skip the key on install and go to activation after install and choose change key and then use the 7 key.
yup, thats exactly what I did, didn't work, they wanted me to buy it. Correct version as win 7 too.

It should It did the last one we tried maybe a week or two ago. That is how we upgrade all of our windows 7 computers if they are trying to preserve their programs

Edit:
Actually the last one failed for some unknown reason. In the past that is the way we have done all of our 7 upgrades and they always activate

We have made so much money(crazy record profits ) this year upgrading 7 computers to 10 with new ssds. I am not looking forward to the day MS no longer allows this
Well, apparently they have blocked that now, I got a message "the setup has failed to validate the product key"
Why not upgrade it Just run the 10 installer within windows?
didn't work, "setup failed to validate the product key"

If you already got it to update from 7 to 10 and it is activated just do another clean install and it will auto activate.
whew, no need, just had to put the key in again after install then it did

Ya that method works well for that. It's not a hack, it's just guiding it along because sometimes windows 7 does that. windows 8, I've never had the problem. But I find that once it gets activated fine, you can always do a clean install with windows 10 after and get it nice and clean.

Ya that method works well for that. It's not a hack, it's just guiding it along because sometimes windows 7 does that. windows 8, I've never had the problem. But I find that once it gets activated fine, you can always do a clean install with windows 10 after and get it nice and clean.
yeah, I just did a disc cleanup and deleted the win old folder. She probably never had win 10, never had to do this before, she just told me so, but didn't want to take the chance her complaining.

Back